Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
I got a new iPod for Christmas and it has been great. However I still have a 4G 20 gig iPod and I don't know what to do with it. Does anyone have any ideas because I hate seeing it just sit there with nothing to do. Any ideas appreciated!:apple:

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Load it up with the music you love and pass it along to someone special, as a personalised gift, especially for them.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Those are great ideas but I don't know who I would give it to.:eek: Not to mention it's HD is not doing so well right now.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
i work in a supermarket, and they have music that plays over the speakers (a CD on a 2-3 hour loop). this can get very annoying when the songs REALLY suck (i know music is personal, but the staff seem to agree with me)

sometimes i hook up my old iPod to the store's live radio feed in the managers office (when he's not there of course :p)

second iPod i gave to my dad and currently i have a 16GB Touch (which will probably go to my sister when iPhone released in Australia)

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I sold that exact iPod (fully functional, pretty decent body but a fair amount of scratches) for $120 on Craigslist a few months ago, you could easily get a $100 for it since people on craigslist generally seem to pay more than electronics are actually worth... Get yourself something special, spread the love to someone you know, or even make a charity donation if you're so noble! Beats keeping around another piece of tech that will only lose value and you'll rarely use.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
Mine find use in one of three ways:

1. Dedicated car music server. "An iPod in every glovebox!"

2. Dedicated room music/video server. "A super fast (manually) syncing ATV."

3. Family hand me downs. With children spaced 2-3 years apart, one gets old enough for his/her own iPod just as Dad needs to upgrade. ;)

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
I think I have found a good use for it for now. My classic needed to be charged up so I grabbed the old iPod before I went to exercise. It worked really well for this purpose so I think I will use it for this for now. I'm still open to suggestions however! Thanks guys!:cool:

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Apple ostensibly has a recycling program for old equipment on their site.

I've tried numerous times to recycle my old iPod Photo. I've filled out the online form, and a pre-paid recycling package was supposed to be sent to my home. Despite numerous attempts, I've never received one. The emails I've sent to inquire about what's going on have been ignored.

I think it's safe to say that the Apple recycling program is defunct.

SaveGamehendge

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Boston, MA
disk mode

If you enable disk mode for your old ipod, and keep it free of music,
you can use the entire space as a simple external HD. If you save .txt files to the ipod in disk mode, you can then read those notes on he ipod via Notes on the go too. Very handy spare/portable HD. Happy trails.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.