PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4. My last cry for help.

SoLibertyDies
Feb 10, 2008, 01:06 AM
So I bought a "non working" iBook G4 off of a guy at work who didn't want to deal with it for 30 bucks. it booted once in a blue moon to the folder/questionmark. Otherwise it had classic fan of death symptoms, no screen activity, just whirring fans.

one time it booted to the question mark and I put in my tiger install DVD. the screen got distorted and I restarted. fan of death and now I can't get it past there now. I opened it up and the HD cable was a little loose but that didn't fix it. I tried the 'splinting' idea that everyone told me to but it didn't seem to help.

this is my last cry for help before I just give up on this thing, sigh.

Would the genious bar even be willing to help me do you think?

anyone have any ideas? thanks!

izwack
Jul 6, 2008, 01:20 AM
Apply pressure with palm, guitar capo or clamp 1 inch below the option key to the left of the trackpad. I am very angry that apple does not have a recall on this ibook. I just researched how to fix it today, and so that's how I came across your message.

ddoonie
Jul 6, 2008, 01:36 AM
So I bought a "non working" iBook G4 off of a guy at work who didn't want to deal with it for 30 bucks. it booted once in a blue moon to the folder/questionmark. Otherwise it had classic fan of death symptoms, no screen activity, just whirring fans.

one time it booted to the question mark and I put in my tiger install DVD. the screen got distorted and I restarted. fan of death and now I can't get it past there now. I opened it up and the HD cable was a little loose but that didn't fix it. I tried the 'splinting' idea that everyone told me to but it didn't seem to help.

this is my last cry for help before I just give up on this thing, sigh.

Would the genious bar even be willing to help me do you think?

anyone have any ideas? thanks!

Here you go! http://coreyarnold.org/ibook/?p=20

I did this fix about a month ago, works fine, and was fairly easy to do. But then didn't want to worry if it would last, so bought the MBP :)