Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gbross

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sorry if this has been covered before.

How long is a typical boot-up time from complete shutoff?

My two-day-old 32 gig Touch takes about 15 seconds to boot up from completely off until I see screen icons appear. The Apple logo appears fairly quickly but the icons take a while

Is this normal?

Thanks.

sagsi

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
How long is a typical boot-up time from complete shutoff?

My two-day-old 32 gig Touch takes about 15 seconds to boot up from completely off until I see screen icons appear. The Apple logo appears fairly quickly but the icons take a while

Is this normal?
I'd say it's completely normal. My 16GB 'touch has an identical boot time from OFF ... always has.

Why, do you somehow think that's too long :confused:

gbross

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I'm coming from a Palm TX.

The Palm is up and running immediately after pressing the ON button.

sagsi

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
I'm coming from a Palm TX.

The Palm is up and running immediately after pressing the ON button.

As akonradi said, your Palm must have been in sleep/hibernate mode to turn on instantly. (You can put your 'touch in SLEEP mode by simply pressing and releasing the button on the top left corner ... wake it by pressing and releasing the HOME button, then "Slide to Unlock" ...)

When booting any device from a completly POWER OFF state, it takes time for the OS to initialize, start running, and present the user interface. However, 15 seconds to accomplish this on a 'touch or iPhone IS instantaneous compared to Vista for example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.