Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Alright,

I wanted to know if I could purchase Fusion from my school and use it to virtualize my installation of Windows XP? I used bootcamp to partition and install Windows. Can I just install Fusion and use it to virtualize my already installed XP or do I have to reinstall??

Also, asked in another thread as well, but wanted to know if I tell Fusion to use 1GB RAM for XP, when I am not running Fusion does Mac OS X go back to using all my RAM or is that RAM I specified for Windows to use gone for good from OS X?

EDIT: Second question was answered in another thread a few minutes ago... RAM can be used by OS X when Fusion or Parallels is not running! Good to know!

Fuzzbear

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Illinois, USA
Alright,

I wanted to know if I could purchase Fusion from my school and use it to virtualize my installation of Windows XP? I used bootcamp to partition and install Windows. Can I just install Fusion and use it to virtualize my already installed XP or do I have to reinstall??

Also, asked in another thread as well, but wanted to know if I tell Fusion to use 1GB RAM for XP, when I am not running Fusion does Mac OS X go back to using all my RAM or is that RAM I specified for Windows to use gone for good from OS X?

The newest versions of Fusion should automatically detect your Bootcamp Partition.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Great! Which version should I look out for? I will have to check and see what version my school is selling...

Neil321

macrumors 68040
what you mean by version?

when you go to the vmware site it looks theres two companys selling it but there the same thing

when you install it just point it at your bootcamp partition and away you go or if you dont want
to use bootcamp install it then install windows

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Fuzzbear had said the newest versions of Fusion will detect my windows partition, but I do not know what "version" my school is selling. They sell Fusion for like $40 and Parallels for $75... I just don't know if these are older versions back from the time of 10.4.x or if they get in updated versions...

This is all their website says...

http://showcase.itcs.umich.edu/item.php?cat=70&id=793

Neil321

macrumors 68040
that'll be fine install it then you should be able to update it from the fusion site

if you dont need to run windows a native speed ie for running games you dont need a windows partition just install fusion then windows

Komiksulo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Ontario
Fusion is up to version 1.1.1.

It will detect your existing Boot Camp partition and make the Windows installation there available to be opened in a virtual machine. You will have to install VMWare Tools in Windows (I believe VMWare Tools supports drag-and-drop to the VM, among other things.)

Make sure that you configure your Boot Camp Windows VM to use both processors, and that Tools is installed, and that you've made any other configuration choices like the amount of memory, before you activate Windows. The goal is to make the VM as similar to your real machine as you can. This is so that Windows doesn't think you've changed the machine too much and ask for reactivation. (I didn't and had to reactivate Windows after it was installed.)

As mentioned in the other thread, when WMWare quits, it releases its RAM to the OS X system.

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
if you are purchasing fusion through your school you most likely receive 1.0 as its the only one that is currently in physical circulation... all you are paying for with fusion atm is the license so if you buy an actual box copy don't even bother with the cd... just download 1.1.1 from their website and use the key that came with your box

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I was thinking of downloading the trial and if I like it I would buy it from school after the 30 days are up and register with key from the box... Would this work?

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Downloading the trial now... very excited as I hate having to reboot to use windows... this will be nice. Not that I have even had to use windows yet (thank god), but a nice feature nonetheless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.