PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here owned a 12" powerbook and an Asus EEE?

jTreu
Feb 10, 2008, 12:47 PM
If anyone here has owned both what do you think would be the best compliment for a macbook pro with external screen? I want to get either a 867mhz or 1ghz 12" powerbook or an Asus EEE for college for carrying around and use the macbook pro docked most of the time. It would be used mostly for browsing internet, email, word processing, and watching movies on trips. I'm having a hard time deciding because i dont know if sacrificing the bigger screen and keyboard is worth is for something that is two inches smaller in width and length. I was also thinking if i got the 12" powerbook i could replace the hdd with a 16 or 32gb ssd when they start dropping in price since all thats gonna be on the powerbook is documents and maybe a few vids or songs.

Designer1
Feb 10, 2008, 03:49 PM
I have a 12" PB and my boyfriend has the Asus Eee Pc. We got our respective laptops because we both have 15" MBPs and wanted something more portable. The Eee PC does not have an optical drive so I don't know about watching movies. I know my BF has not tried that yet. He also complains that his neck cramps up if he is using it on a desk for while. My 867 is great and a lot more portable. I have it running Leopard, though, which slows it up a bit. I have not watched movies on it yet but it can play basic YouTube videos.

Both are great for surfing the net. I think the PB has a leg up on word processing, though, do to it's full size keyboard.

Overall the Eee PC is more portable and better for basic tasks (like surfing the internet). If you want to do much more than that I would suggest the Powerbook (with 1GB RAM).

Hopefully, I answered some of your questions...

n1ght
Feb 10, 2008, 05:36 PM
Also consider that the EEEPC is considerably lighter than the MBP and PB.

MBP 15" = 5.4lbs
PB 12" = 4.6lbs
EEE 7" = 2lbs

Kendall015
Feb 10, 2008, 07:00 PM
I have a 15" MBP and an Asus EEE, and I used to have a 12" PowerBook. Despite having big fingers, the keyboard is pretty easy to adapt to...I wouldn't let that be a concern. My main gripe with the EEE is the lack of pixels to work with. Surfing the internet at 800x480 requires a bit of scrolling horizontally, as does working in Excel or Access. This is a little annoying, but can be adapted to easily as well. What is great is that the EEE is about the size of a paper back novel, and weighs about that much too. When you get a real OS like Windows or Ubuntu, and you upgrade to 2GB of Ram, the Asus is a great computer. A 12" PowerBook may have a higher resolution screen and bigger keyboard, but it also weighs a lot more as n1ght said. Plus, you are going to be paying a lot for a PowerBook on eBay these days: there seems to be a surge in demand after the MacBook Air was announced.

Just my 2 cents.

Designer1
Feb 10, 2008, 11:42 PM
After talking w/ the boyfriend more he seems to think the Eee PC is better. :rolleyes: As I said, it is definitely lighter and more portable...

I probably would have considered it a little more if I didn't need something for web design. If you don't know of a store where you can go try it out then I would do some searching online. There is a lot of info on them.