PDA

View Full Version : My Disappointments in the Macbook Air

dmb3886
Feb 10, 2008, 08:45 PM
A walked in the apple store today hoping to admire the sexiness of the macbook air, but was unfortunately enormously disappointed. It couldn't have been there for more than a week, and every one i looked at the top (ie when lid is closed) had a scratched and faded finish. I couldn't believe it, it was ugly and repulsive.

Tinkering with the interwebz, , when i went to tap the click button let's just say, "I missed". I hit the touchpad...and this didn't happen once but multiple times. That annoyed me, because I saw what they were trying to do with making the pad bigger...but it was clearly too small. When you clicked it too it just felt ackward. I don't know if one is able to get used to it or not but you know.

Closing the air, it also felt a little flimsy. The lightness was really cool though. I get the air thing - It is ideal for the nice tiny sexy little woman wanting a fashion accessory i admit, but its not a mans machine. And the magnetic closing was NOT GOOD, YOU DO NOT WANT IT. It felt like if u put it in ur bag, any pressure would open it up. The old latch system on the pro was bad too, but they should just put a redesigned latch in the new MBP, cuz im sure that magnetic latch will fail eventually and its not good to begin with.

Be clairvoyant and ull see, its not gonna sell good and will flop. It is not worth 1799, especially since u need another computer to use with it anyway. 1000 tops

I DID LIKE a couple things though. The three finger scroll back/forward between pages thing was handy. For me personally, the black keyboard is for the win aesthetically wise. If they put the same keyboard in the pro, but "deeper in" and a little more "cushiony" then i'd be happy with it on the new pro im gonna buy. The tapered edges also were thumbs up.

ahaxton
Feb 10, 2008, 08:53 PM
I just use tap to click.
And I also find it hard to hit the click button while standing up using the MBA. Thankfully I have my own to use with comfort? I don't have any protective sleeve and mine doesn't have a scratch. Even the demos at my local store look great. Aluminum case isn't anything new for Apple.

I have to say your post is SO LATE. We have all seen the MBA and most of us love it! Heck it's a hot seller too.

Your post is full of ignorance. It brings up things that a million haters before you have said already....

bluetooth101
Feb 10, 2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah, we know that you are disappointed, but please don't create anymore thread about this, we have enough of disappointments already. You, people just don't understand and we've done explaining it again and again.:p

dmb3886
Feb 10, 2008, 08:57 PM
No, im not a biased hater..i actually thought it was gonna blow me away but it didn't. The screen was great yeah and overall sexy but it just didn't do it for me, sorry guys

HLdan
Feb 10, 2008, 08:59 PM
A walked in the apple store today hoping to admire the sexiness of the macbook air, but was unfortunately enormously disappointed. It couldn't have been there for more than a week, and every one i looked at the top (ie when lid is closed) had a scratched and faded finish. I couldn't believe it, it was ugly and repulsive.

Tinkering with the interwebz, , when i went to tap the click button let's just say, "I missed". I hit the touchpad...and this didn't happen once but multiple times. That annoyed me, because I saw what they were trying to do with making the pad bigger...but it was clearly too small. When you clicked it too it just felt ackward. I don't know if one is able to get used to it or not but you know.

Closing the air, it also felt a little flimsy. The lightness was really cool though. I get the air thing - It is ideal for the nice tiny sexy little woman wanting a fashion accessory i admit, but its not a mans machine. And the magnetic closing was NOT GOOD, YOU DO NOT WANT IT. It felt like if u put it in ur bag, any pressure would open it up. The old latch system on the pro was bad too, but they should just put a redesigned latch in the new MBP, cuz im sure that magnetic latch will fail eventually and its not good to begin with.

Be clairvoyant and ull see, its not gonna sell good and will flop. It is not worth 1799, especially since u need another computer to use with it anyway. 1000 tops

I DID LIKE a couple things though. The three finger scroll back/forward between pages thing was handy. For me personally, the black keyboard is for the win aesthetically wise. If they put the same keyboard in the pro, but "deeper in" and a little more "cushiony" then i'd be happy with it on the new pro im gonna buy. The tapered edges also were thumbs up.

I don't think you understand the "AIR" thing. I doesn't mean thin and light. It represents the MBA as the first all wireless solution, thus dubbed AIR.

ahaxton
Feb 10, 2008, 09:00 PM
No, im not a biased hater..i actually thought it was gonna blow me away but it didn't. The screen was great yeah and overall sexy but it just didn't do it for me, sorry guys

How about you keep it to yourself. You've brought up the same stuff that's already been shot down along with a few ridiculous additions. You also have no idea what an ultraportable is and what they cost it seems.

MazingerZ
Feb 10, 2008, 09:03 PM

So you were disappointed with the look of a demo unit that has probably been mishandled by thousands of hands, what did you expect?

I don't use the button at all, I do all my clicking from the touchpad.

No problems with the latch. I think its adequate enough and is strong enough to keep the MBA closed while being carried.

If it does flop, I'm sure many of us will move on and Apple will survive. :cool:

kuwisdelu
Feb 10, 2008, 09:23 PM

Oh that one's brilliant. Call it a woman's machine so any man who likes the Air is afraid of having his masculinity called into question, and must thus agree with you? Yeah. Sorry. Not gonna work with me, buddy. I'm a man and I like the Air. I'd much rather carry around a sexy, thin computer that has the power of OS X than something as ugly and slow as the other ultraportables out there.

I like having my beautiful, smart wife on my arm when I go out.

Why shouldn't I also like carrying a beautiful, smart machine like the Air?

Oh, and I use the tap to click, too. My button is just taking up space that the trackpad could be using. Haven't used the worthless thing in forever.

And after using a magnetic latch, I'll never go back to a normal one. As brilliant as the magsafe. :D

meagain
Feb 10, 2008, 09:27 PM
It is ideal for the nice tiny sexy little woman wanting a fashion accessory i admit, but its not a mans machine.

Oh oh :eek:

CalMin
Feb 10, 2008, 09:29 PM
Now that the MBA is available in stores, this type of thread is pointless. If the MBA doesn't work for you, don't buy it. Don't troll about it.

Everyone should just go to the store, play with the thing. If they dig it then buy it, if they don't like it, go get a MB/MBP.

Peace.

macsensei
Feb 10, 2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah the multitouch trackpad is meant to be used not the clicker. How about u use one at home first before making a thread like this. Ugly and Repulsive? Are u serious, let me take a bow before u make me mad. Obama 08

Deuces

abijnk
Feb 10, 2008, 09:32 PM
...It is ideal for the nice tiny sexy little woman wanting a fashion accessory i admit, but its not a mans machine...

I didn't know whether to be offended or laugh...

I for one am madly in love with my MBA and I bought it because (get ready for it) it fits MY NEEDS.

How about owning one first, then getting back to us?

camarobh
Feb 10, 2008, 09:34 PM
Now that the MBA is available in stores, this type of thread is pointless. If the MBA doesn't work for you, don't buy it. Don't troll about it.

Everyone should just go to the store, play with the thing. If they dig it then buy it, if they don't like it, go get a MB/MBP.

Peace.

I agree! When does it end? We simply don't care that you didn't like the MBA and don't need to read about it time and time again. Please go post positive messages about whatever you ended up buying, and stop the negative posts about what you didn't.

kuwisdelu
Feb 10, 2008, 09:39 PM
Obama 08

Whether it be appropriate here or not, I don't know, but points for you! :D

kuwisdelu
Feb 10, 2008, 09:51 PM
But back on topic!

This thread really is kind of pointless as there are Airs in stores now. There isn't an Apple store within fifty miles of my college town, but there's a Best Buy. Went there the other day and checked out the Air. Oh, I wanted one so bad my girlfriend had to pry me away from the display. Although I really should have stayed...there was someone interested in switching there and the salesperson sounded like he didn't know a thing about Macs!

NC MacGuy
Feb 10, 2008, 10:08 PM
Sorry it didn't meet your expectations.

You know you should have waited on that touch, double the memory for only a few bucks more than you spent on the 16G model.

mac jones
Feb 10, 2008, 10:49 PM
Oh that one's brilliant. Call it a woman's machine so any man who likes the Air is afraid of having his masculinity called into question, and must thus agree with you? Yeah. Sorry. Not gonna work with me, buddy. I'm a man and I like the Air. I'd much rather carry around a sexy, thin computer that has the power of OS X than something as ugly and slow as the other ultraportables out there.

I like having my beautiful, smart wife on my arm when I go out.

Why shouldn't I also like carrying a beautiful, smart machine like the Air?

Oh, and I use the tap to click, too. My button is just taking up space that the trackpad could be using. Haven't used the worthless thing in forever.

And after using a magnetic latch, I'll never go back to a normal one. As brilliant as the magsafe. :D

Yeah sure, we know your just a Girly Man with a Macbook Air

Just kidding

he he..... I love this sort of thing

gcmexico
Feb 10, 2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah, we know that you are disappointed, but please don't create anymore thread about this, we have enough of disappointments already. You, people just don't understand and we've done explaining it again and again.:p
What is the point of this thread??? The MacAir rocks and is definitely a man's laptop..that tidbit was hysterical...what can be more manly than an expensive laptop that rocks!! I assume a cheap 10lb laptop for the original poster..lol:cool:

TenFour
Feb 10, 2008, 11:11 PM
I find it hard to close when I'm upside down and one hand is tied behind my back... and I can't click on it real good when I'm cooking eggs and they're starting to burn and I have to tend to them and my hands are greasy and I'm on my cell phone... and when I'm brushing my teeth or chewing my food the voice recognition software doesn't seem to work and the case looks really shabby after I beat it with a baseball bat... and I don't like it because its a daring step forward in technology. Give me a new version of the old, Mac.;)

All in good humour, I haven't even tried one yet.:D

DaLurker
Feb 10, 2008, 11:18 PM
I don't think you understand the "AIR" thing. I doesn't mean thin and light. It represents the MBA as the first all wireless solution, thus dubbed AIR.

I don't understand why you can claim the MBA is the first "all wireless solution". It doesn't have more wireless capabilities than a MBP and still requires wired ports to function.

HLdan
Feb 10, 2008, 11:31 PM
I don't understand why you can claim the MBA is the first "all wireless solution". It doesn't have more wireless capabilities than a MBP and still requires wired ports to function.

It is the first ALL wireless solution. What other laptop has more? Again you are wrong, the MBA does have more wireless capabilities than the MBP, did you forget about Remote Disk? That's only available on the AIR.

southerndoc
Feb 11, 2008, 02:08 AM
How about you keep it to yourself. You've brought up the same stuff that's already been shot down along with a few ridiculous additions. You also have no idea what an ultraportable is and what they cost it seems.

The MBA isn't an ultraportable. Ultraportables have screen sizes <12.1".

The MBA is a great machine, but it does have its flaws. I agree with the trackpad issue where the button is too small. I don't agree with the MBA feeling flimsy and the magnetic latch opening too easily -- I doubt that will happen considering how Apple has perfected the magnetic latch closure with the MacBooks.

MacTheSpoon
Feb 11, 2008, 02:29 AM
Bummer you didn't like the Air. But thin is nice in electronics for both men and women. i have seen plenty of guys who love their RAZR phones, for example.

TenFour
Feb 11, 2008, 04:11 AM
Tell me this thing isn't dead sexy!

http://www.computercloset.org/IBM_PC_Convertible.jpg

It even goes perfectly with my slick new Motorola... "Hello Moto":

http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Telephones/Motorola_Cellular-One_Cell-Phone_web.jpg

Like I always say, go big or go home.

sushi
Feb 11, 2008, 04:17 AM

I remember when that computer was introduced. It was so light, powerful, and cool compared to other portable products at the time.

I drooled over it many a times. I wanted it so bad.

But unfortunately, at the time I could not afford it

Full of Win
Feb 11, 2008, 04:24 AM
Obama 08

Deuces

Must you do that in the MBA forum? You do know there are places on the forum for this.

elmo151
Feb 11, 2008, 05:16 AM
My Disappointments in the Macbook Air

If you don't like it, there is no requirement that you buy it; or that you make what are essentially gratuitous comments based on 15 minutes of exposure and experience in a store.

cedar
Feb 11, 2008, 06:03 AM
I remember when that computer was introduced. It was so light, powerful, and cool compared to other portable products at the time.

I drooled over it many a times. I wanted it so bad.

But unfortunately, at the time I could not afford it

Now that's a REAL man's machine.

MH01
Feb 11, 2008, 06:44 AM
It is the first ALL wireless solution. What other laptop has more? Again you are wrong, the MBA does have more wireless capabilities than the MBP, did you forget about Remote Disk? That's only available on the AIR.

Are you serious....please think before posting. Remote disk....do you know how to share a DVD drive on a network right...which then can be accessed by any computer (laptop/desktop). And it is not exactly a wireless feature when you have to install the software on a 3rd party computer everywhere you go.

The "AIR" cannot refer to the MBA's wireless capabilities, cause it lacks behind the rest of the market without integrated 3G. And that is a fact. Whithout a Wifi hotspot or a near bye computer running your remote disk software...not a very Wireless solution is it???? That is when you have to bring out all your accessories....but then its not ultra porable anymore...

Anyway back to my initial point, The MBA is not an All wireless solution without integrated 3G. The iphone is more of an All wireless integrated solution.

kuwisdelu
Feb 11, 2008, 06:52 AM
The "AIR" cannot refer to the MBA's wireless capabilities, cause it lacks behind the rest of the market without integrated 3G. And that is a fact. Whithout a Wifi hotspot or a near bye computer running your remote disk software...not a very Wireless solution is it???? That is when you have to bring out all your accessories....but then its not ultra porable anymore...

Anyway back to my initial point, The MBA is not an All wireless solution without integrated 3G. The iphone is more of an All wireless integrated solution.

So what about those of us without 3G capability who always happen to be around WiFi? I, for one, lag behind everyone's phones because I just get whatever I get free with my phone plan, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have 3G, because I didn't even know what that was until everyone started complaining about it. However, I can always find WiFi, because it's pretty much everywhere. And I don't know why I would need remote disk while I'm on-the-go. I install software at home. So no accessories for me. Maybe I'm just not as hip as some of the people here, but it seems pretty wireless to me.

MH01
Feb 11, 2008, 06:52 AM

The MBA Air is ultraportable???
Dman you Sony!!! You sold me an vaio VGN-TX3XP 11" and told me that it was ultraportable!!!! LIES!!! Off to Apple to get a true 13" ultraportable.

BongoBanger
Feb 11, 2008, 06:53 AM
What is the point of this thread??? The MacAir rocks and is definitely a man's laptop..that tidbit was hysterical...what can be more manly than an expensive laptop that rocks!! I assume a cheap 10lb laptop for the original poster..lol:cool:

This man is a member of the 'easily pleased by shiny objects club'.

kuwisdelu
Feb 11, 2008, 06:57 AM
The MBA Air is ultraportable???
Dman you Sony!!! You sold me an vaio VGN-TX3XP 11" and told me that it was ultraportable!!!! LIES!!! Off to Apple to get a true 13" ultraportable.

Yes, it's an ultraportable. I don't understand it with you people who claim nothing bigger than 12" is an ultraportable, because frankly, I can never recall a situation where footprint saved my life. I definitely know that thinness and weight make a lot of different when it's in my bag, though, and considering I've got papers and folders to bring around, any footprint bigger than pocket-sized and smaller than my bag isn't really going to make a difference. But the weight and thickness sure will. It's definitely an ultraportable. Just because it's a different kind of ultraportable is no reason to condemn it, and just because it goes about the idea in a different way doesn't make it or any other ultraportable more or less right in their interpretation. So I understand your situation may be different, but that doesn't make it any less of an ultraportable to many of us. Unless you can explain to me how a smaller footprint will save me the same amount of room in my bag that the Air's slender waistline will.

kuwisdelu
Feb 11, 2008, 06:59 AM

I belong to that club, but that's not why I like the Air :D

The Vaios and Dells are a lot shinier with all those ugly stickers and all. Their screens are a lot shinier, too. And that silver plastic on some of them? Very shiny. Much shinier, yes, but all-in-all harder to look at.

MH01
Feb 11, 2008, 07:06 AM

Everyone is entitled to thier opinion.

Looks like the AIR is not for you. So be it. I too cannot find a place for it, though i hope that some of its features will arrive in the upcoming MBA Pro update. That is what i am hanging out for. I need to replace my old Powerbook.

MH01
Feb 11, 2008, 07:13 AM
So what about those of us without 3G capability who always happen to be around WiFi? I, for one, lag behind everyone's phones because I just get whatever I get free with my phone plan, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have 3G, because I didn't even know what that was until everyone started complaining about it. However, I can always find WiFi, because it's pretty much everywhere. And I don't know why I would need remote disk while I'm on-the-go. I install software at home. So no accessories for me. Maybe I'm just not as hip as some of the people here, but it seems pretty wireless to me.

You must not leave the city much, or travel abroad. In that case you would not care about 3G, but once you do, you will realise how useful 3G is. Though as a whole without 3G, the AIR is behind the rest of the market as a True wireless laptop, in other words the other manafacures have laptops that are better wireless machines.

And given that you stated that you would not need remore dish while on-the-go, how is the MBA air an ALL wireless solution again? On-the-go, it is not more wireless then any other laptop on the market, and lacking behind laptops with 3G. (most places you can get a phone signal).

MazingerZ
Feb 11, 2008, 07:22 AM
You must not leave the city much, or travel abroad. In that case you would not care about 3G, but once you do, you will realise how useful 3G is. Though as a whole without 3G, the AIR is behind the rest of the market as a True wireless laptop, in other words the other manafacures have laptops that are better wireless machines.

And given that you stated that you would not need remore dish while on-the-go, how is the MBA air an ALL wireless solution again? On-the-go, it is not more wireless then any other laptop on the market, and lacking behind laptops with 3G. (most places you can get a phone signal).

I've travelled all over in the last two years and have been able to find wifi everywhere I've gone in Europe and Asia.

As for 3g, its also a hit and miss along with the exhorbitant data charges involved. In Manila, 3g is very cheap though at about 25cents per 30 minutes of use. In this scenario, I just use my 3g Phone as a bluetooth modem.

Sure built in 3g would be nice but I don't know if I want to get locked in. In the US, Sprint and Verizon have better broadband coverage than ATT's GSM.

Catch
Feb 11, 2008, 07:23 AM

Sorry you feel that way. I just got mine today and I can tell you this is by far the best laptop I have ever owned. Build quality is superb, keyboard is outstanding, screen is gorgeous. It even crushes my MBP at things that are important to me, such as opening large files and applications. The machine is incredibly snappy to me. It runs my film library over my airport extreme network without any problems.

I would never go back to a 'fully featured' laptop again after this. I used to have a Toshiba when I was on the PC many moons ago which was almost as small, and before the MBA that was still my favorite form factor laptop. Slow as hell with an external 'floppy!, but a joy to carry.

I can't see this notebook aging any worse than any of the aluminum notebooks to be honest. Build quality is fantastic...

The beauty of people is that we are all so very different which I find a real asset to our species!

Regards,

C

MH01
Feb 11, 2008, 07:28 AM
Yes, it's an ultraportable. I don't understand it with you people who claim nothing bigger than 12" is an ultraportable, because frankly, I can never recall a situation where footprint saved my life. I definitely know that thinness and weight make a lot of different when it's in my bag, though, and considering I've got papers and folders to bring around, any footprint bigger than pocket-sized and smaller than my bag isn't really going to make a difference. But the weight and thickness sure will. It's definitely an ultraportable. Just because it's a different kind of ultraportable is no reason to condemn it, and just because it goes about the idea in a different way doesn't make it or any other ultraportable more or less right in their interpretation. So I understand your situation may be different, but that doesn't make it any less of an ultraportable to many of us. Unless you can explain to me how a smaller footprint will save me the same amount of room in my bag that the Air's slender waistline will.

That depends on the individual, for you ultraportable is how thin a laptop is (though would a 15" MBA just as thin as the AIR be considered ultraportable?), for me is about how compact it is. Each to their own, personal preference.

In regards to a bag, I can put a 11" laptop in a bad that is only 11.5" :) , but if you always have a big bag, thinner can be better as it takes up less width, and fits better between books etc.

I think ultraportable refers more to the smallest screen you are prepared to have in a laptop. For some 11" is just too small, for some 13" is the perfect size, again personal perference. Also weight is a huge factor. its nice to put a laptop in a bag and not feel like u jsut put in a brick in it....

Cybergypsy
Feb 11, 2008, 07:29 AM
Still loving mine......

kuwisdelu
Feb 11, 2008, 07:46 AM

Actually, I live in a fairly small town. When I do leave it or the city, it's usually somewhere that actually doesn't have any kind of phone signal either (southwest, mountains), so to me it wouldn't really make a difference.

That depends on the individual, for you ultraportable is how thin a laptop is (though would a 15" MBA just as thin as the AIR be considered ultraportable?), for me is about how compact it is. Each to their own, personal preference.

In regards to a bag, I can put a 11" laptop in a bad that is only 11.5" :) , but if you always have a big bag, thinner can be better as it takes up less width, and fits better between books etc.

I think ultraportable refers more to the smallest screen you are prepared to have in a laptop. For some 11" is just too small, for some 13" is the perfect size, again personal perference. Also weight is a huge factor. its nice to put a laptop in a bag and not feel like u jsut put in a brick in it....

Like I said, all up to what you need. If I can fit a comfortable 13" in the bag I'm carrying anyway, I don't see why I'd need to settle for something smaller and less practical. A 15" may be too big to fit in many bag, though, so it's not like any size is just as practical. If I had no need to carry anything other than my laptop and wanted it as small as I could, then I might care about footprint, but I'd likely still want to be carry folders and notebooks, etc., should I need. But really, I figure ultraportable just refers to being very, very portable, and that just depends on a person's needs.

steffi
Feb 11, 2008, 07:52 AM
The track pad button was the first thing I noticed when I first saw the Air in the store. Since I've taken mine out of it's box it's no longer a bother to me and I must say it's only taken me a few hours to retrain my thumb.

Other than that I think you need to go and buy a Panasonic Toughbook and complain about why it's not portable.

I don't think you can expect to see many radical changes with the new MacBook Pro. If you figure the margins for Apple are in the Air they aren't going to canabolize sales by making the Pro more attractive my making it lighter, smaller. I think all you can expect to see in the Pro is the new touch pad technology and the keyboard. If they do that then for me there's no reason to buy an MBP over the Air and I'd say that will be the case for a lot of people. Plus I believe the Air is selling quite well at the moment.
Still loving mine......

jamesarm97
Feb 11, 2008, 07:59 AM
Is the trackpad button anything like the macbook or more like the macbook pro. I have the pro and my sister-in-law just got a macbook and I have to say I could not get used to the trackpad button on the macbook. It seemed to stiff and not as responsive as the macbook pro. It was harder to click.

- James

MazingerZ
Feb 11, 2008, 08:03 AM
Is the trackpad button anything like the macbook or more like the macbook pro. I have the pro and my sister-in-law just got a macbook and I have to say I could not get used to the trackpad button on the macbook. It seemed to stiff and not as responsive as the macbook pro. It was harder to click.

- James

Its more like the MBP to me and softer. But again, I'm using the trackpad for clicking so I don't really use the button.

Sweetbike40
Feb 11, 2008, 08:32 AM
I get what you mean about not being blown away. I had posted a thread about my impression and got shot down as well. Nobody can accept someone just stating their opinion. Yet, they can start a thread saying how much they love it, why can't someone post why they don't? Although IMO it isn't worth the money right now, i still love the idea of it. I think it is the start of something better.

Catch
Feb 11, 2008, 08:33 AM
Its more like the MBP to me and softer. But again, I'm using the trackpad for clicking so I don't really use the button.

Yeah I find it the same as my MBP as well. As the poster above, I am using the trackpad to click. I only started doing it this way while waiting for the MBA, and now I am wondering why I didn't do it this way all along. It really is a great way to use the trackpad.

C

HLdan
Feb 11, 2008, 10:14 AM
I get what you mean about not being blown away. I had posted a thread about my impression and got shot down as well. Nobody can accept someone just stating their opinion. Yet, they can start a thread saying how much they love it, why can't someone post why they don't? Although IMO it isn't worth the money right now, i still love the idea of it. I think it is the start of something better.

I don't have a MBA and I'm not ordering one as of now so I'm going to address your concern about others shooting down your "Opinion".

It's not that certain forum members that actually love the MBA and bought one have a problem with your "Opinion" it's the fact that you are not really stating an opinion, you are really putting the product down and are calling people stupid if they were to buy it.
Example your "Opinion" up above, " Although IMO it isn't worth the money right now".

What does that say? You are telling people on the forum they wasted their money. That's not an opinion, that's a direct shot at the MBA owners on the forum.

A better way to state an opinion would be to say, "I saw the MBA in the Apple store and it doesn't offer what I need so it's not for me". You can even go as far as to say that it doesn't have what you need or it's too rich for your blood. At this point you are just stating your opinion but your not putting people down.

I think the people who make the purchase of the MBA can see for themselves how the product is designed, they don't need naysayers to tell them how horrible it is.

supremedesigner
Feb 11, 2008, 10:22 AM
I just use tap to click.
And I also find it hard to hit the click button while standing up using the MBA. Thankfully I have my own to use with comfort? I don't have any protective sleeve and mine doesn't have a scratch. Even the demos at my local store look great. Aluminum case isn't anything new for Apple.

I have to say your post is SO LATE. We have all seen the MBA and most of us love it! Heck it's a hot seller too.

Your post is full of ignorance. It brings up things that a million haters before you have said already....

I second that.

butterfly0fdoom
Feb 11, 2008, 10:30 AM
The MBA isn't the first all-wireless solution. Where's the Wireless USB?

As for the lack of 3G, that's reasonable. The Verizon/Sprint lovers would hate it if the MBA only offered an HSDPA chip, and the AT&T lovers would hate it if the MBA offered only an EV-DO chip. And we all know Apple loves to give people choices (not).

richard371
Feb 11, 2008, 11:47 AM
You can bet if they do put 3g in the next version it will be ATT since Apple appears to be sleeping with them. I carry around a little sierra wireless 875 usb that works great when I need it.

ddd269
Feb 11, 2008, 12:03 PM

http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Telephones/Motorola_Cellular-One_Cell-Phone_web.jpg

Ahh, the good old days... NOT!:apple:

butterfly0fdoom
Feb 11, 2008, 12:15 PM
You can bet if they do put 3g in the next version it will be ATT since Apple appears to be sleeping with them. I carry around a little sierra wireless 875 usb that works great when I need it.

HSPA's more globally accessible than EV-DO, as well (considering the spread of GSM vs CDMA adoption globally). With Verizon switching to LTE, GSM vs CDMA is swinging in GSM's favor in the future roadmap.

ddd269
Feb 11, 2008, 12:39 PM
This is what I posted on a different thread, that addresses some of these irresponsible posters.

I've had my MBA for about a week now and I love it. I haven't had any problems with my MBA. There have been posts about issues with the MBA (mostly battery, charging, and few other problems not worth mentioning).

I'm sure that many will agree with me when I say that for a 1st gen unit, this is an awesome computer. If you think about it, Apple has done a tremendous job at bringing these cutting edge devices - MBA, iPhone, to name a few.

It is expected and encouraged to post problems and issues when owners of such device encounter problems. That is why these forums exist.

What I can't stand are the comments of immature, non-constructive forum members (especially the non-owners). Comments such as "I would return it immediately, you would expect better for a $$$ machine" or "You should return the unit and wait until all bugs are fixed" or better yet "We should expect more from a company such as Apple"

They are free to express as they wish, but I think a certain discretion is required when posting. Comments about specific devices should be left to owners/users of such device and not to spectators, especially with negative comments.

It really ticks me off when I'm reading an interesting thread and I have to sift through the non-constructive, negative junk (about 70%).

Is it just me or do others feel like I do?

Why can't we just get along? :p

Cybergypsy
Feb 11, 2008, 01:17 PM
Its not for everyone.....as stated sooooooooooooooo many times....

skyrider007
Feb 11, 2008, 01:32 PM
Its not for everyone.....as stated sooooooooooooooo many times....

certainly suits you madam

mhaas
Feb 12, 2008, 03:36 AM

I think ultraportable simply refers to a combination of factors: the screen, the width, the weight, the higher price and a certain amount of compromises to achieve this.

A 10'' notebook that weighs as much as a 24'' iMac is not an ultraportable for me... The AIR is an ultraportable in my eyes, not just because of the width, but similarly because of the weight and the size, yes a Vaio TZ is smaller but the AIR is the most portable current notebook produced by Apple. The combination makes it a wherever-i-want-to-go-i-will-take-the-AIR-with-me machine and that describes an ultraportable for me.

dmb3886
Feb 12, 2008, 05:08 AM
its essentially a sexy word processor with internet

fewture
Feb 12, 2008, 05:19 AM
its essentially a sexy word processor with internet

yep. like all those ultraportables that a large chunk of people (including business sector) are actually interested in buying and are willing to pay high prices for it.

Funny that...

gcmexico
Feb 12, 2008, 04:58 PM
If you call rather owning a Porsche with half the features of a Honda Civic member of the "shiny objects club"...then yep I'm a PROUD member:D

This is all crap! Most that complain are the ones that can't afford it...always has been always will be...I'm not saying all of you complainers can't afford it, but most that cry usually can't afford to buy

I belong to that club, but that's not why I like the Air :D

The Vaios and Dells are a lot shinier with all those ugly stickers and all. Their screens are a lot shinier, too. And that silver plastic on some of them? Very shiny. Much shinier, yes, but all-in-all harder to look at.

2 members on board!!!:cool:

Lucy Brown
Feb 12, 2008, 05:11 PM
An 1800 dollar web surfing maching? I dont get it. Whats the point of this thing. Total girly machine imo.

Badandy
Feb 12, 2008, 05:20 PM
An 1800 dollar web surfing maching? I dont get it. Whats the point of this thing. Total girly machine imo.

Oh, look at you, trying to attract attention. How adorable.

Call it a girly, web-surfing machine all you want, the simple fact is that this is almost as powerful as the first generation Macbook Pro while being as thin as it is; It is hardly just a word processor.

Cybergypsy
Feb 12, 2008, 05:25 PM
Girly, go get you a pink Vaio.....nothing girly about it, and I am a woman :)

diabolic
Feb 12, 2008, 05:45 PM
I dont get it.

Obviously you don't. Move along...

iRx7fani
Feb 12, 2008, 05:47 PM
The Macbook Air is freakin slow, it doesn't have CD slot, and it doesn't have a gpu, and most of all is so damn girly! Will I buy one when the price drop a little? Hellz yea!

BongoBanger
Feb 12, 2008, 06:29 PM
If you call rather owning a Porsche with half the features of a Honda Civic member of the "shiny objects club"...then yep I'm a PROUD member:D

This is all crap! Most that complain are the ones that can't afford it...always has been always will be...I'm not saying all of you complainers can't afford it, but most that cry usually can't afford to buy

Rubbish. I can afford both but choose not to because they don't suit me. Saying that people complain because they can't afford something is just silly. It's just opinion, that's all.

gcmexico
Feb 12, 2008, 08:21 PM
Rubbish. I can afford both but choose not to because they don't suit me. Saying that people complain because they can't afford something is just silly. It's just opinion, that's all.

But I'm pretty sure you don't go around porsche sites and complain about the car...I assume u don't, that's what I'm trying to get at:cool:

cedar
Feb 12, 2008, 08:32 PM
But I'm pretty sure you don't go around porsche sites and complain about the car...I assume u don't, that's what I'm trying to get at:cool:

Don't bet on it. :)

LizKat
Feb 13, 2008, 10:56 AM

A girly machine is 10-1/2" cast iron skillet. Duck, it's headed your way. ;)

BongoBanger
Feb 13, 2008, 11:08 AM

Yeah, I see what you mean but people should be allowed to say why they don't like something without being shouted down. There's no compulsion to read the thread after all.

Personally I don't get the Air but I'm not the world. Plenty of people will love it and, to be honest, it's pretty good at what it's intended to do.

Just not my cup of tea, that's all.

As for cedar. LOLno. Grow up please.

wizard
Feb 13, 2008, 11:42 AM
First let me say I'm disappointed with the AIR also but I don't see any rational complaint on your part below.

Well yeah most machines loose their sexiness after a bit of use. This should not surprise you at all especially considering the number of people stop by Apple stores to do nothing but look at AIR. I wouldn't be surprised if that dirt couldn't be cleaned right off as it likely crud from a billion fingers.

So one button takes a bit of getting use to and all of a sudden the whole machine is no good?

Closing the air, it also felt a little flimsy. The lightness was really cool though. I get the air thing - It is ideal for the nice tiny sexy little woman wanting a fashion accessory i admit, but its not a mans machine.

Take a look at your first two paragraphs and then convince me that you are a man.

And the magnetic closing was NOT GOOD, YOU DO NOT WANT IT. It felt like if u put it in ur bag, any pressure would open it up.

Hmmm men carry brief cases?

The old latch system on the pro was bad too, but they should just put a redesigned latch in the new MBP, cuz im sure that magnetic latch will fail eventually and its not good to begin with.

Be clairvoyant and ull see, its not gonna sell good and will flop.

See here is where I have a problem, I'm not sure how well AIR will sell. What I do know is that Apple made some design and marketing decisions that will keep this machine from selling as well as it could. With a couple of modest changes I could have seen this Machine moving to Apples number one spot and possibly the best selling laptop ever. AIR got short changed instead and doesn't have it future secured.

It is not worth 1799, especially since u need another computer to use with it anyway. 1000 tops

I agree with the $1000 tops statement. Apple should be able to make a very good profit at that price.

That is AIRS biggest problem lots of unique things to like about it. Those things are in vicious conflict with the things to hate about it.

Dave

wizard
Feb 13, 2008, 11:46 AM

Ho about instead you keep this nonsense to yourself. Especially the concept of an ultraportable which AIR isn't if you even had a clue in that direction. As to cost there is such a thing as gouging and it is one thing people have a right to protest against. His assertion that AIR is about worth $1000 dollars is right on the mark.

Dave

wizard
Feb 13, 2008, 12:02 PM
This is what I posted on a different thread, that addresses some of these irresponsible posters.

Why can't we just get along? :p

You know I read your quoted material and got the message that you are trying to bully people with defective machinery into not returning them or other wise seeking redress. So I have to ask why?

If somebody encourages another to suck it up and take a defective product back for replacement or upgrade is there anything really wrong with that? If any thing that is what I would expect out of such a forum.

This is pretty much good net citizenship if you ask me. It really doesn't matter iif it is an AIR or other Apple product you have the right to get what you expect. Actually you can take Apple right out of the equation as any supplier would and should be held to the same standard.

Your response just boggles my mind as I see nothing negative about being happy that something you purchased is working the way you expected. If your brand new car is motoring down the road and the transmission falls off and you end up stuck on the road what do you expect from the auto maker, the dealer or your friends. You certainly don't expect to be told to shut up about it!!! Which pretty much seems to be what you are trying to do here.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Taken another way the new MBP should be with us soon. My suspicion is that they will deliver a lot of new technology and like all generation 1 devices there may be problems. Is it going to hurt your feelings if people talk about those problems? Really I want to know so that this is public record of your position. Further if they have problems that should be addressed under warranty or other customer satisfaction programs, are you going to try to hassle people that encourage them to get redress?

Thanks
Dave

Deanster
Feb 13, 2008, 12:33 PM
It's OK to be disappointed with the MBA. To each his own.

I'm not a big fan of the entire Macbook Pro line. IMHO, wildly overpriced relative to the upgrades from a Macbook, heavy, and the 17" is a freakin' aircraft carrier to lug around.

Ultraportable to me means anything under 4lbs, and significantly smaller than, say, a Macbook in one major dimension. I think we're all having trouble with the 'ultraportable' label, because most prior lightweight machines achieved that through reductions in length and width, defining the category.

For myself, what I want is a full-size keyboard and screen (my Macbook is an OK, but smallish screen, and great keyboard), and not much else. I need enough hard drive to carry some documents, and hold a few applications, but honestly, I could probably fit into a 20 gig drive if required.

I'd been trying to live off my iPhone when I travel, but the reality is that I just need more screen space and a real keyboard to do real work for more than a day or so. But the overall capability of the iPhone covers my away-from-desk needs quite well - it's just the input/output becomes a hassle for heavy use.

Similarly old G4 867 12" Powerbook handled my laptop tasks just fine with 640MB of RAM and a 40Gig hard drive. A 1.6 C2D CPU can handle the load just fine. I'm happy to toss the external optical drive into my checked luggage, just in case I need it.

Long story short, MBA meets my needs perfectly so far (though battery life could be better...). It's all the performance I had in my Rev A. BlackBook, in a package 60% the size. It is indeed a little pricey, and moving it from $1800 to $1500 would make it a no-brainer.

It's not for everyone, but an awful lot of people use their laptops like I do - email, MS Office, web, and an occasional dip into Photoshop/InDesign to make minor changes or do basic documents. MBA is a terrible choice for an only machine, or a road production machine, but it's an awesome 'real screen and keyboard in a minimum package'.

Sweetbike40
Feb 13, 2008, 12:39 PM
For the Air has just changed. I always liked it but really appreciate now after seeing a little Sony here at work. I'm seeing this little portable laptop and laughing at it because it looks silly. Looks like a Barbie toy!! MBA is in another league. The full size keyboard, to me, is an absolute need.

Cybergypsy
Feb 13, 2008, 12:48 PM
I wish the would stop making them........

So I could have it all to myself ;)

LizKat
Feb 13, 2008, 01:14 PM
Ho about instead you keep this nonsense to yourself. Especially the concept of an ultraportable which AIR isn't if you even had a clue in that direction. As to cost there is such a thing as gouging and it is one thing people have a right to protest against. His assertion that AIR is about worth $1000 dollars is right on the mark.

Dave

Gouging? Gouging is charging extra for items in high demand after a hurricane goes through your town. Batteries, ice, water...

Are you suggesting that the MacBook Air is in such high demand that Apple has made the price artificially high to suppress the demand for it? :D

One may disparage something by saying it's "worth" only this or that, but money on the barrelhead is the voice actually heard in the marketplace.

Lucy Brown
Feb 14, 2008, 02:16 PM
So where does the air card go on this ultra portable laptop? lol

MH01
Feb 15, 2008, 06:49 AM
Gouging? Gouging is charging extra for items in high demand after a hurricane goes through your town. Batteries, ice, water...

Are you suggesting that the MacBook Air is in such high demand that Apple has made the price artificially high to suppress the demand for it? :D

One may disparage something by saying it's "worth" only this or that, but money on the barrelhead is the voice actually heard in the marketplace.

English lessons is it?

The example you give is only one of the definitions.

Nowdays (most common use), Price gouging refers to pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available. And in this Example, if you want a ultraportable Mac, you have no choice to go with 1. Apple 2. with the AIR. So yes you can argue that Apple is price gouging cause it has put a HIGH price on its ultraportable laptop and if you want to Run OSX on an ultraportable....guess what there is only 1.

cedar
Feb 15, 2008, 07:46 AM
English lessons is it?

The example you give is only one of the definitions.

Nowdays (most common use), Price gouging refers to pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available. And in this Example, if you want a ultraportable Mac, you have no choice to go with 1. Apple 2. with the AIR. So yes you can argue that Apple is price gouging cause it has put a HIGH price on its ultraportable laptop and if you want to Run OSX on an ultraportable....guess what there is only 1.

You need to take a good economics course.

killerwhack
Feb 15, 2008, 08:51 AM
Took the wife on a date to Pasadena Old Town (hereto forth known as "Old Pasadena") where there is an Apple Store. Stopped in to take a look at what everybody is chattering about.

It is a nice machine. Build quality is good. The machines in the store were very crowded around and the machines appear to be holding up well.

All I have to say is that if you are a road warrior or a high level exec who carries around a machine all day to attend meetings, it is an ideal machine.

I believe we will have to see how the sales perform through the next buying cycle. I will take, Possibly, two years before we know if the machine is a hit or not.

JMHO

MH01
Feb 15, 2008, 09:15 AM

Will this course explain that words in the english language can have multiple meanings, depending on the context they are used in? Or will this course change my view on the fact that apple is the only manafacurer that produces an ultraportable that runs OSX, and therefore apple can set any price they see fit...due to no other competition in the same product segment???

I thought apply common sense was enough....seems not...

cedar
Feb 15, 2008, 09:26 AM
Will this course explain that words in the english language can have multiple meanings, depending on the context they are used in? Or will this course change my view on the fact that apple is the only manafacurer that produces an ultraportable that runs OSX, and therefore apple can set any price they see fit...due to no other competition in the same product segment???

I thought apply common sense was enough....seems not...

That's like saying Toyota is the only car-maker that uses Toyota engines, therefore they can charge anything they want for their cars. To accuse Apple of price gouging for what they charge for the Air is over the top. It's a free market and I would dare say that laptops are not normally considered as one of the necessities of life that one must have to survive, although some might argue that.:)

kieranquirke
Feb 15, 2008, 09:49 AM
Example your "Opinion" up above, " Although IMO it isn't worth the money right now".

What does that say? You are telling people on the forum they wasted their money. That's not an opinion, that's a direct shot at the MBA owners on the forum.

This is probably the most ridiculous post I've yet seen on these forums and that's saying something - of course it's an opinion!

Hilarious, as is the suggestion in an earlier post that if you don't like the mac book air you should keep it to yourself. Because stating that would be trolling. That's right, trolling - I mean, how could anyone write about their disappointments with the macbookair - why, they must clearly be attempting to provoke an argument!

gcmexico
Feb 15, 2008, 09:58 PM
This is probably the most ridiculous post I've yet seen on these forums and that's saying something - of course it's an opinion!

Hilarious, as is the suggestion in an earlier post that if you don't like the mac book air you should keep it to yourself. Because stating that would be trolling. That's right, trolling - I mean, how could anyone write about their disappointments with the macbookair - why, they must clearly be attempting to provoke an argument!

Apple fanatics aren't complaining about the criticizing of the Air, it's just like DAMN enough is enough, an easy search on this site will give you countless threads about disappointments, why not post your disappointments there, why start a whole new thread...GEEZ

the girly comments are just stupid...in my opinion:cool:

dthree36
Feb 15, 2008, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't expect everyone, Mac owner or PC owner, to like the air. If you have used it and don't like it, then that is your opinion and you have that right. For those who like if for what it is worth, then great, perhaps you will purchase one.

It works for me and I am comfortable with the insane amount of money that I spent on the AIR even though I could have spent it on a Windows machine, or MBP that may have been slightly bigger/small and had every port and drive imaginable.

Its not for everyone.

mtk75
Feb 15, 2008, 11:09 PM
I wish the would stop making them........

So I could have it all to myself ;)

:eek: Not yet! Wait until mine ships, then they can stop... :D

Macmanus
Feb 16, 2008, 02:29 AM
Apple fanatics aren't complaining about the criticizing of the Air, it's just like DAMN enough is enough, an easy search on this site will give you countless threads about disappointments, why not post your disappointments there, why start a whole new thread...GEEZ

the girly comments are just stupid...in my opinion:cool:

What is that ? An Apple-sponsored forum ? What are you people insane or what ? Why in the world you always say that someone that doesn't like an Apple product is a troll ?

Please, make things clear. Either it's an Apple-sponsored forum, and you're supposed to like everything Apple, and NEVER, I repeat, NEVER criticize a product or a software from them. OR, you should have an official right to criticize without being considered as a troll and hence banned.

All this makes me think that far from being a demonstration of freedom, Internet is just another totalitarian space, each site and forum are just being small islands of intolerance.

IMHO of course.

As for the "girly product" I'll second that it's an irrelevant remark. All Apple products are "girly" in the sense that they are "designed" to please the eye. And that goes for other products of our era too, not just computers, cars for example (in France, the Twingo model was one of a kind, not a real man's car for sure :))

wizard
Feb 16, 2008, 02:42 AM
Took the wife on a date to Pasadena Old Town (hereto forth known as "Old Pasadena") where there is an Apple Store. Stopped in to take a look at what everybody is chattering about.

Did her eyes roll up when you decided to walk into the Apple store? I just can't imagine an Apple store being a successful dating spot wife or not.

It is a nice machine. Build quality is good. The machines in the store were very crowded around and the machines appear to be holding up well.

Honestly I never see much of a crowd around the machines at our local Apple store. But then again I'm living in one very economically depressed area.

All I have to say is that if you are a road warrior or a high level exec who carries around a machine all day to attend meetings, it is an ideal machine.

I hardly ever see an executive carrying around a laptop all day. Maybe to a meeting where he is a presenter but that is about it. I just don't see the demand for something like AIR in the executive segment of business. Especially considering you need a dongle to connect ot most video projectors.

Road warriors are another thing and the AIR could have been a very good machine for them. I still see it as slightly less than it needs to be for that segment.

I believe we will have to see how the sales perform through the next buying cycle. I will take, Possibly, two years before we know if the machine is a hit or not.

I think we will start to see signs in three to four months. After that people purchasing such a device should be doing so based on thoughtful consideration. AT that point we will find out if the limitations within AIR are too much of an issue for the buying public.

JMHO

The thing that bothers me about AIR is how long Apple will let is sit on the market before it addresses the devices short comings. I honestly believe it is possible to address the needs of many without significantly changing the machine. Apple in the past did so on things like the Mini by adding more USB ports on that machine. Even minor changes will iron out some kinks.

Dave

wizard
Feb 16, 2008, 02:55 AM

Nope, he has a better grasp of the issue than you are displaying. Apple with AIR is just one example of corporations gouging consumers. The medical drug industry is well know to do so. Gouging can be understood to mean charging significantly more for a device than it cost to manufacture & market.

Now Apple is no where near as bad as the drug companies, but they are not exactly winning any friends either. You may not have a concern, but just wait till you age a bit and need to fill prescriptions regularly. If you live near a border it can be very mind expanding to see how screwed up the medical industry is and yes the gouging that takes place.

Dave

Macmanus
Feb 16, 2008, 03:21 AM
Nope, he has a better grasp of the issue than you are displaying. Apple with AIR is just one example of corporations gouging consumers. The medical drug industry is well know to do so. Gouging can be understood to mean charging significantly more for a device than it cost to manufacture & market.

Now Apple is no where near as bad as the drug companies, but they are not exactly winning any friends either. You may not have a concern, but just wait till you age a bit and need to fill prescriptions regularly. If you live near a border it can be very mind expanding to see how screwed up the medical industry is and yes the gouging that takes place.

Dave

+1

Check this out :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_gouging

MacRumorUser
Feb 16, 2008, 07:01 AM
MY BATTERY IS FIXED!!!

Sorted itself out eventually. Now takes around 3 hours to charge from empty.

That was my only disappointment with the MBA. Now it's seemingly ok I'm delighted again.

Very quiet, no fan noise, no HDD click, more than enough power for my laptop needs, great even screen with no dead pixels, cool as a cucumber temperature wise..

I'm in laptop heaven at last :D

cedar
Feb 16, 2008, 07:09 AM

Dave

Dave, this is America. Read "supply and demand". And I love all of you economic experts who advocate price controls. If folks like you had control of the economy we would still be using 2 ton computers. You don't really have to have a cutting-edge, cute little laptop. It's not a necessity of life. If you can't afford it or think you are being ripped off: simple solution, don't buy the damned thing. Buy a competitor's machine, or wait until supply and demand has a chance to kick in. It always does.

Wild-Bill
Feb 16, 2008, 07:46 AM
Buy a competitor's machine, or wait until supply and demand has a chance to kick in. It always does.

Economies of scale FTW!

By this time next year we will all be scoffing about how much the SSD drives "used to" cost. :D

angrygolfer
Feb 16, 2008, 08:06 AM
What is that ? An Apple-sponsored forum ? What are you people insane or what ? Why in the world you always say that someone that doesn't like an Apple product is a troll ?

Please, make things clear. Either it's an Apple-sponsored forum, and you're supposed to like everything Apple, and NEVER, I repeat, NEVER criticize a product or a software from them. OR, you should have an official right to criticize without being considered as a troll and hence banned.

All this makes me think that far from being a demonstration of freedom, Internet is just another totalitarian space, each site and forum are just being small islands of intolerance.

IMHO of course.

As for the "girly product" I'll second that it's an irrelevant remark. All Apple products are "girly" in the sense that they are "designed" to please the eye. And that goes for other products of our era too, not just computers, cars for example (in France, the Twingo model was one of a kind, not a real man's car for sure :))

I'll have to second this. There are just as many posts of people expressing their undying love for the MBA so why is it a problem to post your dislikes.

If you don't like it then ignore the thread and move on.

DesignerOnMac
Feb 16, 2008, 09:46 AM

1. Being a man means an unscratched and pristene outer surface.
2. Lugging a 5 lb laptop.
3. Men can not have a fashion accessory.

You obviously went into the Apple Store prepared to be disappointed. This machine is not for you, but decided to create yet another disappointed thread.

Buy the machine that works for you, but save us from another 'Disappointed" thread! Thank you!

BongoBanger
Feb 16, 2008, 09:48 AM
Buy the machine that works for you, but save us from another 'Disappointed" thread! Thank you!

Fine, let's just have one appreciation thread then.

cedar
Feb 16, 2008, 11:32 AM

Reading the various threads on the Air, it has become obvious that there are a handful of individuals that have become compulsive Air haters. They post continuously, time after time, on most every thread. Early on, some folks posted that they were disappointed that Apple didn't address their specific wants or needs, and they moved on. Another handful stayed around, sharing their wisdom as to why all of the Air purchasers were stupid, misled compulsive buyers who paid too much, blah, blah, blah. Now if you actually bought an Air and you are disappointed, or if you are a potential buyer doing research, then this would seem a very valid forum to voice your questions and opinions. But for you folks that don't own one, yes you have the right to post here, but I have the right to post that you are becoming fairly tiresome and irrelevant, at least to me personally.

skyrider007
Feb 16, 2008, 11:42 AM
I don't like the MBA but I don't hate. It just don't "work" for me. Otherwise it's a well designed machine.

Macmanus
Feb 16, 2008, 11:55 AM

That's a good one !

I've checked the London Apple Store recently, and compared the MBA with the MB. Nothing special, really. Of course, I'm not a hip person, and I don't mind having a computer that is heavier than the MBA, if it means having an ethernet cable, a decent hard drive and NO other computer being necessary.

But I guess I must be a MBA hater.

cedar
Feb 16, 2008, 11:57 AM
That's a good one !

I've checked the London Apple Store recently, and compared the MBA with the MB. Nothing special, really. Of course, I'm not a hip person, and I don't mind having a computer that is heavier than the MBA, if it means having an ethernet cable, a decent hard drive and NO other computer being necessary.

But I guess I must be a MBA hater.

Hey, two examples in the same post.

BongoBanger
Feb 16, 2008, 05:42 PM
Reading the various threads on the Air, it has become obvious that there are a handful of individuals that have become compulsive Air haters.

Maybe a few are. It's also apparent there are a number of hopeless fanboys who can't bear to read anything critical about an Apple product. You would appear to be one of them.

But for you folks that don't own one, yes you have the right to post here, but I have the right to post that you are becoming fairly tiresome and irrelevant, at least to me personally.

You know some would call that trolling. If you don't have anything to add other than "Waa! waa! waa! I don't like it when people criticise Apple!" then just don't read the threads. You're not being forced to at gunpoint are you?

Most people actually like to know the good, the bad and the ugly about a product before they lash out substantial amounts of cash on it. If some people aren't happy I want to know why.

diabolic
Feb 16, 2008, 06:15 PM
If some people aren't happy I want to know why.

I do too. Unfortunately most of the negative posts are from people who don't own it, and most haven't even held it. Someone giving their negative impressions isn't a problem at all. It's when they post those negative impressions in every other thread, and then feel they need to come back day after day to let everyone know that they still don't like it, that it becomes ridiculous.

duffyanneal
Feb 16, 2008, 06:17 PM
Most people actually like to know the good, the bad and the ugly about a product before they lash out substantial amounts of cash on it. If some people aren't happy I want to know why.

No harm in getting to know all of the angles before purchasing something as expensive as a MBA. I think it is safe to say that as someone who owns a MBA it is getting annoying when people who don't have a clue about the MBA, much less own one, are exposing their expert opinions about the failings of the machine. As owners I think we are aware of the positive and negatives of the MBA. If someone is having problems with their machine then I would be the first to say ask (search first) for help or suggestions. We want to know what people are experiencing good or bad. People popping off that the MBA is a piece of junk because of X, Y, Z was annoying the first few times. When people say it now they just look like stupid trolls.

angrygolfer
Feb 16, 2008, 06:23 PM
No harm in getting to know all of the angles before purchasing something as expensive as a MBA. I think it is safe to say that as someone who owns a MBA it is getting annoying when people who don't have a clue about the MBA, much less own one, are exposing their expert opinions about the failings of the machine. As owners I think we are aware of the positive and negatives of the MBA. If someone is having problems with their machine then I would be the first to say ask (search first) for help or suggestions. We want to know what people are experiencing good or bad. People popping off that the MBA is a piece of junk because of X, Y, Z was annoying the first few times. When people say it now they just look like stupid trolls.

I think most of the people that comment that don't own one are going off the specs. That basically means its just not a machine for them. I haven't posted anything negative, but this machines specs aren't for me. I just think some people state it in a non-pleasant way. However they are entitled...

Honestly, once the hype about the Air settles down it will all stop. Once (if) the announce new MBPs (and whatever else SJ has up his sleeve) the attacks will start on that..

gcmexico
Feb 16, 2008, 07:28 PM
I do too. Unfortunately most of the negative posts are from people who don't own it, and most haven't even held it. Someone giving their negative impressions isn't a problem at all. It's when they post those negative impressions in every other thread, and then feel they need to come back day after day to let everyone know that they still don't like it, that it becomes ridiculous.

I agree 100%

Jphillippe
Feb 16, 2008, 08:18 PM

it should be charged wirelessly...lol

cedar
Feb 16, 2008, 08:31 PM
it should be charged wirelessly...lol

I have the optional solar model.

BongoBanger
Feb 17, 2008, 04:16 AM

Agree. I'm interested in what people who have actually used one for, say, a week at least have to say about functionality. Being honest, at the moment I don't see it as the machine for me but you never know...

kanon14
Feb 17, 2008, 04:46 AM
Agree. I'm interested in what people who have actually used one for, say, a week at least have to say about functionality. Being honest, at the moment I don't see it as the machine for me but you never know...

I bring it to work, I bring it to class and I take it almost everywhere I go to now. Before when I was using the Macbook I'd only leave that at work because it's kinda heavy if I have to carry it *all* *the* *time*. The performance is on par with my Black Macbook, and even better, the startup time and applications load time is better.

raremage
Feb 17, 2008, 06:03 AM

Agreed. One might as well condemn the core concept of capitalism if you consider the MBA pricing to be 'gouging'.

raremage
Feb 17, 2008, 06:09 AM

I agree with this 100% - but the issue many have (I believe) is when negative comments are made by non-owners who seem to be missing the facts.

Oh sure, there are some fanbois who will say anything to give a positive spin (the whole 'most wireless ever' concept comes to mind) but others are contradicting the facts of the system.

I own one. I worried it would be underpowered. It's not, it's easily as powerful as my first-gen MBP, and then some. It handles everything I need to do. I wish it had one more USB port. And I wish it recharged a bit faster.

In general though, it's a great machine. As with any ultraportable (and subjectively I consider this to be so after carrying it with me for two weeks) there are a few compromises. IMHO they are less in the MBA than with others. It's not for everyone, but I believe the market is broader than people think.

raremage
Feb 17, 2008, 06:13 AM

My more overly worded opinion (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4976797#post4976797)

MH01
Feb 18, 2008, 07:05 AM
I agree with this 100% - but the issue many have (I believe) is when negative comments are made by non-owners who seem to be missing the facts.

Oh sure, there are some fanbois who will say anything to give a positive spin (the whole 'most wireless ever' concept comes to mind) but others are contradicting the facts of the system.

I own one. I worried it would be underpowered. It's not, it's easily as powerful as my first-gen MBP, and then some. It handles everything I need to do. I wish it had one more USB port. And I wish it recharged a bit faster.

In general though, it's a great machine. As with any ultraportable (and subjectively I consider this to be so after carrying it with me for two weeks) there are a few compromises. IMHO they are less in the MBA than with others. It's not for everyone, but I believe the market is broader than people think.

I do not undertand why you need to be a an owner to have the right to critise a product, if anything you find yourself defensive of your choice. Everyone has the right to question a product, owner or not.

I for one own a 12" model and the Air is step backwards for me. I would have loved a 12" powerbook pro to have come out. I still consider the last 12" as the best powerbook made, brilliant.

MH01
Feb 18, 2008, 07:33 AM
My more overly worded opinion (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4976797#post4976797)

So your running Winxp in a VM session, so you can run office to do your job......jump on e-mail, update project and play with visio...

In my last job i was an architect, you do not need a powerful computer to accomplish your task, most laptops will suffice. But an AIR goes well with the suit and professional look i guess.

When you can prove that your AIR can be used as a development machine running visio studio in a VM then i will be impressed. Running office....not a big feat there. Though it is not made for that.

I will though say one thing, i worked for the Goverment in Australia on a few big projects. And something like the AIR would be worthless as a business tool. And that is because of its main selling point, all wireless. Alot of organisations (goverment or banking etc, Barclay laptops do not even come with WIFI for that reason) will not allow you to connect to thier WIFI, most actually do not run internal WIFI due to the security implications.

So it might actually suit your needs, but the AIR is not made for the professional IT consultant, as long as you want to use it for basic tasks and a fancy presentation machine that will allow you to update project plans, work with visio and send and recieve emails within a workplace that always has wifi....all good. Most places you will struggle to join the internal WIFI if there is one.

cedar
Feb 18, 2008, 07:39 AM
Maybe a few are. It's also apparent there are a number of hopeless fanboys who can't bear to read anything critical about an Apple product. You would appear to be one of them.

You know some would call that trolling. If you don't have anything to add other than "Waa! waa! waa! I don't like it when people criticise Apple!" then just don't read the threads. You're not being forced to at gunpoint are you?

Actually I don't think I would qualify as a "fanboy", whatever that might be, since this is my first Apple product. When I make a decision to buy a product, I usually rely on reviews by actual users of the product. I actually put more stock in such reviews than those of professional reviewers who maybe use one for a couple of days. I put little weight on the opinions of people who don't even own the product, and whose total experience with the item is maybe pecking on it for five minutes in a store, and who engage in constant harping on something they don't know a damn thing about. But that's just me and I know everyone has their own methodology, which might include the opinions of bystanders.

BongoBanger
Feb 18, 2008, 07:43 AM
cedar, I understand that - I'm quite capable of doing my own five minute analysis without the need for anyone else to butt in. Like I said, I'm interested in the experience of those who actually own one.

cedar
Feb 18, 2008, 07:54 AM
cedar, I understand that - I'm quite capable of doing my own five minute analysis without the need for anyone else to butt in. Like I said, I'm interested in the experience of those who actually own one.

Ok. I do own one, the entry-level model, and I do like it so far, very much so. Of course I'm not a heavy-duty user and so my opinion would not be of much use to someone who is. But it fits my needs. I had to use my daughter's PC for three weeks while my old computer was down, and after my experience with her Vista OS........ enough said.

MH01
Feb 18, 2008, 08:35 AM
Ok. I do own one, the entry-level model, and I do like it so far, very much so. Of course I'm not a heavy-duty user and so my opinion would not be of much use to someone who is. But it fits my needs. I had to use my daughter's PC for three weeks while my old computer was down, and after my experience with her Vista OS........ enough said.

May i ask, is it just Vista that puts you off PCs?

cedar
Feb 18, 2008, 08:55 AM
May i ask, is it just Vista that puts you off PCs?

Yes, mainly. My old PC was XP and I liked it. But I did want something lighter and more portable than my old machine, and I had heard good things about Apple computers and it's operating system, so I sprung for an Air. No regrets so far.

MH01
Feb 18, 2008, 09:16 AM
Yes, mainly. My old PC was XP and I liked it. But I did want something lighter and more portable than my old machine, and I had heard good things about Apple computers and it's operating system, so I sprung for an Air. No regrets so far.

Understandable. I use my mac for day to day tasks, especially when I want to surf the net. Spyware etc really annoys me on PCs.

lewisozz
Feb 18, 2008, 10:01 AM
I went in to the apple store in glasgow and i was thinking of getting a macbook pro but then i saw the macbook air.LOVE AT FIRST SITE !!!! i went over and i gasped!!!!.Compared to the MBA the MBP look like a FAT OVERPOWER HEAVY UGLY COMPUTER !!!!! I had a look at both model and decided to the 1.8 SSD because i travel alot and the SSD was worth the extra money to me. I had to replace my HD on my macbook twice :( Any way new mbp are coming out soon so i didnt want to buy one then a new one with new features to come out 2 weeks later.so i am typing this on my mba.so i am now the proud owner of mba 1.8 SSD !!!!!

MACBOOK AIR (HOT STUNNING PERSON)=======MACBOOK PRO (FAT UGLY PERSON)

tremendous
Feb 18, 2008, 10:11 AM
I went in to the apple store in glasgow and i was thinking of getting a macbook pro but then i saw the macbook air.LOVE AT FIRST SITE !!!! i went over and i gasped!!!!.Compared to the MBA the MBP look like a FAT OVERPOWER HEAVY UGLY COMPUTER !!!!! I had a look at both model and decided to the 1.8 SSD because i travel alot and the SSD was worth the extra money to me. I had to replace my HD on my macbook twice :( Any way new mbp are coming out soon so i didnt want to buy one then a new one with new features to come out 2 weeks later.so i am typing this on my mba.so i am now the proud owner of mba 1.8 SSD !!!!!

uh, thanks for the update...

ctt1wbw
Feb 18, 2008, 10:17 AM
Notice how the Air Haters think they can say whatever the **** they want and then call everyone else who likes the Air either "suckers", "idiots", or "fanboys"? And then when people who like the Air tell them to **** off, the Air Haters say they have the right to post their opinion, of which nobody gives a flying frog **** about? I post in about 4 forums and it's the same thing everywhere. It gets tiresome.

MH01
Feb 18, 2008, 11:25 AM
Notice how the Air Haters think they can say whatever the **** they want and then call everyone else who likes the Air either "suckers", "idiots", or "fanboys"? And then when people who like the Air tell them to **** off, the Air Haters say they have the right to post their opinion, of which nobody gives a flying frog **** about? I post in about 4 forums and it's the same thing everywhere. It gets tiresome.

Its a freakin forum! Until you comprehend that concept....move along or harden up. If you want people tell you how freaking great the AIR is, go to www.google.com and look up Macbook AIR fan site....otherwise deal with the fact that some people love it and some hate it. For every annoying AIR hater, there is a just an annoying AIR lover!

Don't like the negative feedback....don't read it!!!

And BTW I have never, ever....seen mac fanboys slamming Vista, give and take. /sarcasm off. I have slammed both PC and Apple products.

In the end its a personal opinion. Noone in this thread has called someone an idiot or sucker for getting the AIR, they have raised issues and personal opinions, its actually the AIR lovers that have been arrogant and rude in the reponces....abusing the people who dare question the new MBA. Anger management course maybe???

lewisozz
Feb 18, 2008, 11:38 AM
Look how lovely it looks .TELL ME YOU DONT WANT ONE MBA HATERS !!!!

kanon14
Feb 18, 2008, 11:45 AM
I do not undertand why you need to be a an owner to have the right to critise a product, if anything you find yourself defensive of your choice. Everyone has the right to question a product, owner or not.

I for one own a 12" model and the Air is step backwards for me. I would have loved a 12" powerbook pro to have come out. I still consider the last 12" as the best powerbook made, brilliant.

I never used a 12" powerbook but I think the Air is the best notebook I've owned so far

BornAgainMac
Feb 18, 2008, 11:56 AM
I touched one the other day but didn't notice any scratches. It was more impressed after I tried it. I don't know if I would use it like a regular Mac and use iPhoto, Garageband, iMovie, iTunes, etc. It would be a iWork / Safari / Email tool for me if I was traveling.

BongoBanger
Feb 18, 2008, 04:53 PM

I think you need to stop sniffing glue.

BongoBanger
Feb 18, 2008, 04:55 PM

Notice how you never have anything positive to say at all.

NEiMac
Feb 18, 2008, 05:56 PM

I really and truely don't want one. Actually I don't hate it at all, it just doesn't impress me much and its not cause it doesn't look cool.

ma2ha3
Feb 18, 2008, 08:49 PM

Macbook Air - size 0 models who starve themselves everyday type of person

Macbook pro - olympic athelete with muscle type of person

DELL XPS gaming - fat ugly person

gcmexico
Feb 18, 2008, 09:10 PM
Its a freakin forum! Until you comprehend that concept....move along or harden up. If you want people tell you how freaking great the AIR is, go to www.google.com and look up Macbook AIR fan site....otherwise deal with the fact that some people love it and some hate it. For every annoying AIR hater, there is a just an annoying AIR lover!

Don't like the negative feedback....don't read it!!!

And BTW I have never, ever....seen mac fanboys slamming Vista, give and take. /sarcasm off. I have slammed both PC and Apple products.

In the end its a personal opinion. Noone in this thread has called someone an idiot or sucker for getting the AIR, they have raised issues and personal opinions, its actually the AIR lovers that have been arrogant and rude in the reponces....abusing the people who dare question the new MBA. Anger management course maybe???

Or did you just want to speak your mind??? I'm not going to repeat what has been said...but the point is that there are countless threads about disappointments with the MBA, why start a new one?? And why *itch when you don't own one?? Owners respond because they can't understand why people need to lash out at every new Apple product, like Steve is making products to fit YOUR needs...I can guarantee you there are more threads on hating the AIR by those that don't own than praising by those that do own...before you give your 2 cents read to see what the issue is....this forum is about Apple news and products...not about hating Apple products

I stick with my original theory "I'm not saying all of you complainers can't afford it, but most that cry usually can't afford to buy":cool:

Sedulous
Feb 18, 2008, 09:11 PM
My oh my, the post is just an opinion. Chill out. 'Tis a rumor site after all.

ctt1wbw
Feb 19, 2008, 12:41 AM
Notice how you never have anything positive to say at all.

Sure I do. I just speak facts. It's a bad habit.

MH01
Feb 19, 2008, 04:21 AM
Or did you just want to speak your mind??? I'm not going to repeat what has been said...but the point is that there are countless threads about disappointments with the MBA, why start a new one?? And why *itch when you don't own one?? Owners respond because they can't understand why people need to lash out at every new Apple product, like Steve is making products to fit YOUR needs...I can guarantee you there are more threads on hating the AIR by those that don't own than praising by those that do own...before you give your 2 cents read to see what the issue is....this forum is about Apple news and products...not about hating Apple products

I stick with my original theory "I'm not saying all of you complainers can't afford it, but most that cry usually can't afford to buy":cool:

Very elitest attitude there, the poor knocking the AIR cause they cannot afford it. Very very very shallow way of looking at it, here is a laptop that has sacrificed alot of features due to its ultraportability and your consider the people who raise issues are a jealous lot who cannot afford one. Arrogant!!!! I actually see them as smart buyers that are analysing a product instead of wanting a fashion accessory. This is a Mac site, most people here are mac users, they can afford one...its not the $$ its the features and who the laptop is aimed at that they question.

As an example, One USB....is this so perfect that people cannot question it??? If you call the haters, poor jealous buggers who cannot afford one, I call the owners arrogant snobs.....in truth I think that the % or poor/snobs is actually very very low. Those who bought it consider it to fit thier needs, those who question it have reservations and are voicing them.

BongoBanger
Feb 19, 2008, 05:33 AM
Sure I do. I just speak facts. It's a bad habit.

No you don't actually. Facts are objective, your moaning is subjective.

Anyway, enough of this; I can't be bothered catering to trolls regardless of their stripe.

ctt1wbw
Feb 19, 2008, 07:30 AM
Trolls are people who own an item that they spend countless hours griping about. Trolls are people who criticize those who own those items. I myself own a Macbook Air. I criticize the criticizers.

tstarks33
Feb 19, 2008, 11:10 AM
Trolls are people who own an item that they spend countless hours griping about. Trolls are people who criticize those who own those items. I myself own a Macbook Air. I criticize the criticizers.

Maybe you're new to the internet, but that's not what a troll is/does.

cedar
Feb 19, 2008, 12:43 PM

Just what is a troll? I've never heard the official definition before.

diabolic
Feb 19, 2008, 01:21 PM
Just what is a troll? I've never heard the official definition before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Cybergypsy
Feb 19, 2008, 01:49 PM
Its not for everyone but it is for me :)

illian
Feb 19, 2008, 02:16 PM
Its not for everyone but it is for me :)

Hehe best post in a long time!! If the whole world would start to hate the mba, i would still keep it!

Why all this arguing about a notebook? Need it->buy it...no need->don't buy it. Yes life can be as simple as that ;)

ctt1wbw
Feb 19, 2008, 05:43 PM

No, not really. My first online experience was at 300 baud on an Apple //c where you had to get to the prompt and type ATDT. If you remember what that stood for. Dude, I'm 38.

queshy
Feb 19, 2008, 05:48 PM
I don't know why there's so much hate for the machine...let's see...if we were to put an optical drive in the air, obviously they'd have to make it thicker (obviously). Once they have the added thickness, they obviously have more room for other stuff...like another USB port, firewire, ethernet perhaps. Oh, but wait, then what do we have....a MACBOOK!

gcmexico
Feb 19, 2008, 07:15 PM
this is why people are hating on the haters!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=437937

is there no way to combine these threads?:mad:

MH01
Feb 20, 2008, 05:13 AM
this is why people are hating on the haters!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=437937

is there no way to combine these threads?:mad:

I fail to see your point, Have you read that thread?

Let me summarise for you, Someone posts thier opinion about the AIR, what he dislikes and what he likes, states it is not for them, then BAM....he gets flamed straight away, and the arguements begin.

Why the **** are you considerd a hater as soon as you post your opinon, and state that that it is not for you???? Are AIR owners that sensative, fanatical Apple followers that cannot handle any citisism about thier product?

I have a Powerbook 12", G4, Macbook pro, every gen Ipod made, Itouch, Iphone, and a bunch of accessories. I consider the Iphone Bluetooth, mighty mouse and apple headphone (in ear) absolute rubbish, and I own all of them!

No product is perfect. Quick summary of my products and my opinion

Powerbook 12" - Annoyed as hell that the Superdrive has died twice now, and that I cannot run an external HD off 1 USB

3rd Gen IPOD - official apple firmware update killed it after it was out of warranty

Iphone - Excellent internet device, great Ipod, lacking phone functionality

Macbook pro (1st gen) - Screen, superdrive and HD died in the first year.

And though i had my issues with these I still love them, but by no means are they perfect.

cedar
Feb 20, 2008, 06:24 AM
I fail to see your point, Have you read that thread?

Let me summarise for you, Someone posts thier opinion about the AIR, what he dislikes and what he likes, states it is not for them, then BAM....he gets flamed straight away, and the arguements begin.

Why the **** are you considerd a hater as soon as you post your opinon, and state that that it is not for you???? Are AIR owners that sensative, fanatical Apple followers that cannot handle any citisism about thier product?

I think he was talking about redundancy and relevance. A guy goes into an Apple store, jiggles the keys for five minutes and decides it not what he wants, needs, can afford, or any combination of the above. I guess he is asking "what is this guy adding to the universe of knowledge?" That is like backing a BMW out of a parking space and writing a review on what's wrong with the car. His point was, yes the guy has a right to express his opinion, insignificant as it was, but does it seem important enough to deserve a new thread when an identical one exists here? I think not. Now if the guy had gone through three Air's, like one poster did, with all of them having defects, then that would deserve a separate thread and I would certainly be interested in reading what he had to say and what he experienced.

But that's just my opinion. By the way, I jiggled around with the Pro and Blackbook a little in the store, but I'm not going on their forum and share my views as to why I didn't buy those units. To be frank, the readers there probably wouldn't give a tinker's damn as to my shallow review.

Tosser
Feb 20, 2008, 06:36 AM
I don't know why there's so much hate for the machine...let's see...if we were to put an optical drive in the air, obviously they'd have to make it thicker (obviously). Once they have the added thickness, they obviously have more room for other stuff...like another USB port, firewire, ethernet perhaps. Oh, but wait, then what do we have....a MACBOOK!

They wouldn't need that to add ports. They could just have stopped with the rounding in the last couple of centimeters of the taper. It still woldn't be a MacBook. The thing is, all those ports missing is the result of the extreme (as in "at the end") rounding in that last centimeter. Don't kid yourself, those centimetres is what is causing the concessions and the enormous bezel.

t0mat0
Feb 20, 2008, 06:57 AM
I think he was talking about redundancy and relevance.

His point was, yes the guy has a right to express his opinion, insignificant as it was, but does it seem important enough to deserve a new thread when an identical one exists here? I think not.

There are several threads. It's bad forum form to make your own thread purely to say something that could easily have been incorporated on vibrant threads already running on the MacBook Air.

Also it pays mention to the rules of the site

You can't go ooooh Here's a new redundant thread, with an opinion I garnered from playing with it for 5 minutes, but "don't flame me"... That's just flamebait right there...

Minor Problems, #4, Help in Macrumors Forums:

Minor Problems
" 4. One thread. Do not post a thread more than once. Post a new thread in the proper forum. If the topic is relevant to more than one forum, pick the best fit or most specific forum and post it only once. "
To be honest the thread should have been reported at the start, to get the user's valid input into a more relevant alreayd running thread.

wizard
Feb 20, 2008, 12:23 PM
I don't know why there's so much hate for the machine...let's see...

That is because what you are calling hate isn't hate, many are simply expressing here how inconceivable it is that Apple could have introduced such a machine. A machine that only needs minor changes to become a much more functional unit. AIR could have had a much wider appeal with a few simple design changes.

if we were to put an optical drive in the air, obviously they'd have to make it thicker (obviously). Once they have the added thickness, they obviously have more room for other stuff...like another USB port, firewire, ethernet perhaps. Oh, but wait, then what do we have....a MACBOOK!
This is the sort of garbage that tend to simply inflame people as it show a complete lack of ability to conceive a finer machine. For example Audio in could have been added to the AIR in its current mechanical design simply by using the plug and socket used on the iPhone. As to other I/O such as Firewire or another USB slot that simply should have been addressed early in the design. Mechanically it wouldn't take much at all and the USB port is free electrically with the chip set.

In any event if you where to actually walk into an Apple store you would see that the AIR isn't that much different in size than the MacBook. Thiner in places yes, but space for ports isn't exactly lacking. For people calling this an ultra mobile I have to offer up that it really isn't. Rather it is a light weight wide screen laptop. As a laptop it comes up short in many ways.

In any event that is not hate, it is simply looking at what Apple built and realizing that it doesn't cut the mustard for most of us. The frustration comes from not the machine but the stupid design decisions that went into it. AIR could have been so much more useful with some thought into how it would be used.

Dave

ctt1wbw
Feb 20, 2008, 12:32 PM
If it doesn't cut the mustard, then why do people bitch? Just buy another laptop.

wizard
Feb 20, 2008, 12:36 PM
They wouldn't need that to add ports. They could just have stopped with the rounding in the last couple of centimeters of the taper. It still woldn't be a MacBook. The thing is, all those ports missing is the result of the extreme (as in "at the end") rounding in that last centimeter. Don't kid yourself, those centimetres is what is causing the concessions and the enormous bezel.

What you describe is a box that was designed and then the electronics added. This is pretty much what one Apple employee is quoted to have said. That is the box was designed by Ive's and Job's and the electronics stuffed in afterwards. This is what I see as AIR's fundamental flaw, a little thought would have gone long way with respect to what AIR needed to support.

I suppose this isn't exactly uncommon in the computer industry as many a desktop has been designed around a ugly looking box simply to gather sales based on the boxes appearance. The problem is that even these fancy boxes have at their heart the same sorts of motherboards that the standard cubed PC has. So even if you are paying a little extra for the box you at least have a good compliment of I/O. This is not the case at all with AIR.

In any event I don't see pointing out these things to readers of these threads as being negative at all. Rather I hope that future purchasers can make informed decisions with respect to the machine they choose. All the cheerleading aside it is important that people be happy with their purchases, the best way for that to happen is that people be informed and have a balanced view of the product.

Tosser
Feb 20, 2008, 12:40 PM
Yup Wizard, that's exactly what I meant (that the box was designed, then they took a look at what might fit).

Excellent post, Wizard. :)

wizard
Feb 20, 2008, 12:53 PM
If it doesn't cut the mustard, then why do people bitch? Just buy another laptop.

For one thing we are not bitching. We are simply pointing out that some of the cheerleaders here have points which are one point of view and those points can be taken in a manner that is 180 degrees away from what the cheerleading crowd would have many to believe here. It is simply a matter of providing balance.

Dave

cedar
Feb 20, 2008, 01:34 PM
What you describe is a box that was designed and then the electronics added. This is pretty much what one Apple employee is quoted to have said. That is the box was designed by Ive's and Job's and the electronics stuffed in afterwards. This is what I see as AIR's fundamental flaw, a little thought would have gone long way with respect to what AIR needed to support.

I suppose this isn't exactly uncommon in the computer industry as many a desktop has been designed around a ugly looking box simply to gather sales based on the boxes appearance. The problem is that even these fancy boxes have at their heart the same sorts of motherboards that the standard cubed PC has. So even if you are paying a little extra for the box you at least have a good compliment of I/O. This is not the case at all with AIR.

In any event I don't see pointing out these things to readers of these threads as being negative at all. Rather I hope that future purchasers can make informed decisions with respect to the machine they choose. All the cheerleading aside it is important that people be happy with their purchases, the best way for that to happen is that people be informed and have a balanced view of the product.

God, I'll bet Steve Jobs wishes he had all of that knowledge and wisdom that you are sharing with us idiots.

BongoBanger
Feb 20, 2008, 03:44 PM
God, I'll bet Steve Jobs wishes he had all of that knowledge and wisdom that you are sharing with us idiots.

He will do when the sales figures come in.

Anyway, the real question is this - why are the fanboys (like cedar and ctt1wbw) still posting in this topic?

Unless they're just trolling of course.

Passante
Feb 20, 2008, 03:51 PM

The bigger the case... the harder the typing....;)

shadowmatt
Feb 20, 2008, 03:52 PM
The form is always designed first, then the parts squeezed in. That how design works and should work. The designer has a set bunch of parameters he must work within. Smallest HD size, scree size. Then the engineers "engineer" a board to fit the design.

The engineers would not have had a say in the ports going on the board, or the lack of CD. Those decisions would be made before they got involved.

Much like a Ferrari, the look isnt designer around the engine and suspension. The engine in engineered to fit into the design of the car.

There are always changes to the original design, called revisions, most of which come up one the engineers have got involved. But you start with the best design and make sacrifices when its needed.

cedar
Feb 20, 2008, 03:53 PM

Anyway, the real question is this - why are the fanboys (like cedar and ctt1wbw) still posting in this topic?

Yep, just trolling away, keeping up with the latest profound thoughts of the intelligentsia.

gcmexico
Feb 20, 2008, 10:09 PM
I think he was talking about redundancy and relevance. A guy goes into an Apple store, jiggles the keys for five minutes and decides it not what he wants, needs, can afford, or any combination of the above. I guess he is asking "what is this guy adding to the universe of knowledge?" That is like backing a BMW out of a parking space and writing a review on what's wrong with the car. His point was, yes the guy has a right to express his opinion, insignificant as it was, but does it seem important enough to deserve a new thread when an identical one exists here? I think not. Now if the guy had gone through three Air's, like one poster did, with all of them having defects, then that would deserve a separate thread and I would certainly be interested in reading what he had to say and what he experienced.

But that's just my opinion. By the way, I jiggled around with the Pro and Blackbook a little in the store, but I'm not going on their forum and share my views as to why I didn't buy those units. To be frank, the readers there probably wouldn't give a tinker's damn as to my shallow review.

I was going a little crazy with all the back and forth...but at least someone sees my point of view..you might not agree totally, which is understand but you see where I am coming from...much appreciated:)

ctt1wbw
Feb 21, 2008, 02:50 AM

Why are you worried aboutit, putz? And why are YOU posting here, if you're not a fanboy and a troll? And I'm not a troll. Get over it. And aren't you late for third period English?

BongoBanger
Feb 21, 2008, 04:05 AM
I think it's because you're complaining about people who are unhappy with the Air in a topic for people who are... err... unhappy with the Air.

Does hypocrisy come naturally to you or did you study hard to get to this level, little troll?

ctt1wbw
Feb 21, 2008, 04:07 AM
No, it comes naturally. I deal with losers on a daily basis. It's just too easy, little troll. Get back under your bridge overpass.

edesignuk
Feb 21, 2008, 04:10 AM
Closing to save yourselves, from yourselves :rolleyes: