PDA

View Full Version : BTO in Shanghai?

kirkbross
Feb 10, 2008, 08:46 PM
I ordered a BTO iMac for my godson last August (added RAM) and the estimated shipping date went from 24 hours to two weeks. It shipped from Shanghai.

Does anyone know if Apple products are assembled in China or if (all or some) are built in the U.S.A. and shipped to China for the BTO phase? (which would seem like a waste of time and money to pop in a DIMM, even considering labor savings.)

I guess the simpler question is:Besides components being made in various countries, where are Mac Pros assembled?

bigbird
Feb 10, 2008, 08:50 PM
My old G4 iMac 800MHz was assembled in Shanghai. The Powermac G4 733MHz D/A that I'm typing this on was assembled in the USA. I don't know where my "ready for shipment" MP is coming from. As soon as I get tracking I should be able to post on its origin.

Salavat23
Feb 10, 2008, 09:02 PM
The parts are made in Taiwan, then shipped to China to be assembled;)

rontheancient
Feb 10, 2008, 09:07 PM
The Mac Pro is assembled in Orange County, CA. The spec label on mine says "Computer Assembled in USA, Other items marked thereon."

kirkbross
Feb 10, 2008, 09:15 PM
The Mac Pro is assembled in Orange County, CA. The spec label on mine says "Computer Assembled in USA, Other items marked thereon."Hmmm... I wonder if they are all assembled in Orange County or if some are built in China.

newtech
Feb 10, 2008, 09:19 PM
Apple assembles in many locations including..

Cork, Ireland
Fremont, Ca.
Elk Grove, Ca.
Shanghai, China

and others

kirkbross
Feb 10, 2008, 09:23 PM
Apple assembles in many locations including..

Cork, Ireland
Fremont, Ca.
Elk Grove, Ca.
Shanghai, China

and others

Is there any way of insuring you get one built in a certain place?

Also, I wonder if the location has anything to do with some of the problems we've seen in some of the new Mac Pros.

ErikAndre
Feb 10, 2008, 09:32 PM
Since FedEX shows Fremont, CA for my MP, I suppose that's where it was assembled (?).

bilbo--baggins
Feb 10, 2008, 10:29 PM
Mine was shipped from Cork, Ireland to the UK.