Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple has released iSync 1.3 to the Mac OS X Software Update:

iSync now has calendar, contact, and to-do synchronization for the Sony Ericsson P900 and P800, as well as the Nokia 3650, 7650, and N-Gage smart phones. With these phones iSync also syncs the Address Book picture to the contact info, so you can see a picture of the caller when the phone rings. In addition, iSync now supports several new Bluetooth phones from Sony Ericsson, the T616, T630, and the Z600. Finally, .Mac users who sync their bookmarks can now view, edit and use them from any browser by visiting bookmarks.mac.com.

MasterMac

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Oh my... I just got finished with the QT and Keynote updates :rolleyes: thank god I'm on a high speed connection ;)

punter

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
Australia
I think I'll wait 3 days until I have panther. No point updating jaguar, especially since I don't isync anything!

On another note, don't you just love the way we have to keep downloading these updates that add functionality, as opposed to the windows users out there who keep updating for security!

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Funny, I've been using the past two revisions of iSync with my Sony Ericsson T616 without any problems. Guess I'll have to see what happens with my phone now that it's actually "compatible".

Speaking of iSync, when the heck is Apple going to release the long-promised, long-delayed SDK? I like the integration with Address Book and iCal and all, but those two apps are far too limited for what I need and I dislike the extra steps of distilling contacts and calendars from other apps down to Address Book and iCal just to get them into my phone and iPod.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Apple Releases iSync 1.3

Originally posted by Macrumors
Apple has released iSync 1.3 to the Mac OS X Software Update:

Finally, .Mac users who sync their bookmarks can now view, edit and use them from any browser by visiting bookmarks.mac.com.

Okay, someone please tell me, cause I can't see it: How is this different from what we've been able to do with .Mac bookmarks since Day 1 (of .Mac Bookmarks, not, like Big Bang or Genesis or whatever)?

I looked, and I can't see any difference. I can still add, view, and use my iSync'd bookmarks on my Windows PC. I can't "edit" existing bookmarks, so I take it to mean that you can add or delte bookmarks (edit the list), which is of course what we've been able to do forever and a day. Moreover, I really don't see how an iSync update is going to modify the behavior of the .Mac web site to allow me to edit the bookmarks there ...

Am I missing something brain-dead obvious?

msgile

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2003
Bay Area
No Motorola v120!

Still no sync for the motorola v120! Why? This is very popular phone. I know it is not a high end phone (no bluetooth); but I would think the popularity of this phone would be the determining factor.

zepkin

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
400,000...yeah, right!

Originally posted by MacBandit
Well with Nokia selling over 400,000 world wide in the first two weeks I expect there is a lot more then 5,000 of them in the US.

Nokia SHIPPED 400,000 units to retailers. That doesn't mean they have sold that many. I doubt they have sold many more than 5,000 as mentioned by a previous user. I am surprised that a Mac user actually bought this POS.

I read a post on another forum that a sales guy at an EB said they have sold more Dreamcast units than N-Gages since its release. Go Nokia! I bet Nintendo is ready to give up on the Gameboy Advance. Clearly no one would buy one of these things now than an N-Gage is avaiable.

How does it feel to talk on the N-Gage in public? I am not flaming you, I just find the N-Gage unavoidably humorous.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Re: 400,000...yeah, right!

Originally posted by zepkin
Nokia SHIPPED 400,000 units to retailers. That doesn't mean they have sold that many. I doubt they have sold many more than 5,000 as mentioned by a previous user.

Yeah- the n-gage has been a poor seller so far.

Anyway- I love iSync, keeps gettin better, my P800 is loving it!

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by sir42
Hmm...still no Samsung phones. :-(

Still no Sprint PCS phones whatsoever, unless you use one of those Handspring Treo communicators. Sony Ericsson was supposed to come out with a PCS model for Sprint, but it's the vaporware hit of the year.

Since Sprint offers absolutely no regular phones that support Bluetooth, I dropped them like a hot brick and switched to ATTWS. So far so good with my Sony Ericsson T616: a nice improvement over the old T68i, though I wish the reception was a little better.

So the hell with Sprint if they can't give me what I need. Can't wait for number portability to come into effect, then watch the fur fly between all the wireless carriers! :D

MacBandit

macrumors 604

Nokia SHIPPED 400,000 units to retailers. That doesn't mean they have sold that many. I doubt they have sold many more than 5,000 as mentioned by a previous user. I am surprised that a Mac user actually bought this POS.

I read a post on another forum that a sales guy at an EB said they have sold more Dreamcast units than N-Gages since its release. Go Nokia! I bet Nintendo is ready to give up on the Gameboy Advance. Clearly no one would buy one of these things now than an N-Gage is avaiable.

How does it feel to talk on the N-Gage in public? I am not flaming you, I just find the N-Gage unavoidably humorous.

That'll teach me for reading headlines.:p

spaced

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2002
Raleigh, NC

Actually, Nokia gave me one, as I am employed in the video game industry. I would never pay $300 or even $30 for it, but for free it makes a fairly nice cellphone. They also gave me Tomb Raider, which is somewhat decent.

On the sales front, the store I manage has sold absolutely none. Not a single unit. No games or accessories either. It's truly pathetic.

achmafooma

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Northern Virginia
Re: No Motorola v120!

Originally posted by msgile
Still no sync for the motorola v120! Why? This is very popular phone. I know it is not a high end phone (no bluetooth); but I would think the popularity of this phone would be the determining factor.
I AGREE! I have the v120 with the USB cable and would LOVE to use iSync. I can use the phone as a modem (which is why I got the cable, knowing it wouldn't work with iSync) but not sync it!

Occasionally I synchronize my contacts using a crazy workaround... but it's too much of a hassle to do more than once a month (or every two or three months).

I export a vcard from the address book, import those contacts into Palm Desktop 4 for Windows (this is in Virtual PC now), then I use the Windows software that came with the cable (TrueSync? Something like that, not at the computer now) to synchronize Windows' Palm Desktop to the phone.

It's a hassle, but once I had all the right Windows drivers installed and told VPC to give Windows control over the phone, it worked like a charm.

Albeit a convoluted, bothersome, inconvenient charm. C'mon Apple, support the Motorola v120 with iSync!

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: No Motorola v120!

Originally posted by achmafooma
I AGREE! I have the v120 with the USB cable and would LOVE to use iSync. I can use the phone as a modem (which is why I got the cable, knowing it wouldn't work with iSync) but not sync it!

Occasionally I synchronize my contacts using a crazy workaround... but it's too much of a hassle to do more than once a month (or every two or three months).

I export a vcard from the address book, import those contacts into Palm Desktop 4 for Windows (this is in Virtual PC now), then I use the Windows software that came with the cable (TrueSync? Something like that, not at the computer now) to synchronize Windows' Palm Desktop to the phone.

It's a hassle, but once I had all the right Windows drivers installed and told VPC to give Windows control over the phone, it worked like a charm.

Albeit a convoluted, bothersome, inconvenient charm. C'mon Apple, support the Motorola v120 with iSync!

Why don't you just use OnSync. It syncs my V120 to the Address Book quite nicely.

dethl

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2002
Austin, TX
no CDMA bluetooth phones out yet

Sprint is still sitting with its thumb up its butt. Its been over 3 months since the SE T608 should have come out. Now it looks like we're gonna have to wait until next year for Audiovox to come out with a new phone (rumored to have bluetooth and CDMA).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.