Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vista Ultra, XP Pro, or other

• Vista Ultra

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • XP Pro

Votes: 28 58.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • I would never put windows on my mac

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

OnePumpChump

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I've seen several posts with several answers. So lets just see who would choose what. This is based on running windows in boot camp, to play games and run apps. Please explain why!

* Yes, sorry. Vista Ultimate. Derr.

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
Seeing as there's no Vista Ultra... :D

I think you meant Vista Ultimate. Anyway, at the moment I'd recommend XP over Vista, especially if you want to play games.

Heliconsoul

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
Birmingham, UK
I chose Vista ultimate. I've been running it on a PC with no real problem at all, plus DirectX 10 goodness for newer games is a bonus. There's merits to running either really.

rds

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
I will be installing Vista x64 Business because I don't care for the extra tat, I want it to see all 8 cores and all my RAM.

OnePumpChump

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Cleveland, OH
So, if I was to run Vista Ultimate, no doubt that will be good for the newer games, but how does that handle the older games? (Diablo 2, Morrowind, BF1942)

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
I have Vista Ultimate 64-bit, and I've been debating back and forth, but I did a search for a few games I wanted to play and they didn't work under Vista, so it's XP for me.

Plus, I've already tried to run it once on my PC and went back to XP, so I'd probably end up doing the same thing on my Mac Pro.

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
"to play games and run apps". There is no compelling reason to run XP over Vista. Besides, app and driver support is better on XP.

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
"to play games and run apps". There is no compelling reason to run XP over Vista. Besides, app and driver support is better on XP.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
What is this business about only Vista Ultimate or XP Pro being able to take full advantage of the 8-core Mac Pro? I am getting one soon (hopefully, waiting to ship with 8800GT) and am most likely going to go with Vista. But I almost went out and bought Home Premium. Then I noticed someone mentioning in these forums that Home Premium will only recognize 2- or 4-cores and that only the Ultimate can utilize 8-cores. Is this true? And if yes, what is the reason? What the hell is wrong with Microsoft?

OnePumpChump

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Cleveland, OH
What is this business about only Vista Ultimate or XP Pro being able to take full advantage of the 8-core Mac Pro? I am getting one soon (hopefully, waiting to ship with 8800GT) and am most likely going to go with Vista. But I almost went out and bought Home Premium. Then I noticed someone mentioning in these forums that Home Premium will only recognize 2- or 4-cores and that only the Ultimate can utilize 8-cores. Is this true? And if yes, what is the reason? What the hell is wrong with Microsoft?

Yes, it is true.

And the reason? I bet making more money has something to do with it, which is understandable because they are really struggling ;)

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
Yes, it is true.

And the reason? I bet making more money has something to do with it, which is understandable because they are really struggling ;)

I more meant: What is it about Ultimate that the other versions lack that enables to to use 8-cores? Looking at Microsoft's comparison chart, I would not recognize that difference. That is highly misleading.

cokersa

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2007
Kansas City
OnePumpChump is correct, its about making more money. The Home versions are only licensed for a single die (chip), and so it will only recognize however many cores you have on a single chip (I have a "quad core", which is really two Xeon chips, each with two cores). Interestingly enough, the Vista DVDs contain ALL versions of Vista (of the same bit variety, meaning all x32 bit versions or all x64 bit versions). It is the license key that determines what "version" (feature functionality) is loaded/enabled. To enable multiple dies (chips), you need the Enterprise or Ultimate version.

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
originally ran xp pro with boot camp and since removed and replaced with vista ultimate 32 (mainly because i got it for $34 from my university)... since installed xp pro as a vm only... i prefer vista ultimate gui and have had no problems with it except sometimes a random wireless signal drop requiring a disconnect/reconnect

OnePumpChump

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Cleveland, OH
So, can I play older games with the vista ultimate 64 or only newer ones? I have a pretty large library of somewhat older games, from the Diablo 2 era on up. Mainly, I would like something that can recognize my 8 cores, and recognize my 10 gigs of memory while in bootcamp. I do play games quite a bit, when I'm not working with my OSX programs. Any recommendations?

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I've got vista ultimate.
My cousin works for microsoft and I got it for nowt. I have to say its not bad. But after using it for a while I do like to return to Leopard.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I said 'other' simply because I've got XP Home on mine. I don't need a professional version to run IE7 - and as far as I'm concerned, the less of Windows the better :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.