Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dicin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
1 … When you close the lid of the MBA do you leave the Styrofoam that came with it, the cloth or nothing at all?

2 … If nothing at all has the MBA scratched.

This is more important when carrying it in a brief case? Having metal on metal could be a problem or am I simply worried for nothing?

Thanks,

dahcheet

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
I haven't noticed any rubbing between the two lids. I currently don't have anything kept in there when I have it shut. I thought about leaving the foam sheet but decided against it. I also considered the clothe that came with it but someone mentioned these Radtech Screen Savrs. I just ordered one and will leave this in there when shut to protect the LCD (not that it needs to be, but just in case any extra pressure is applied to it) and to add some padding in the middle.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
1 … When you close the lid of the MBA do you leave the Styrofoam that came with it, the cloth or nothing at all?

2 … If nothing at all has the MBA scratched.

This is more important when carrying it in a brief case? Having metal on metal could be a problem or am I simply worried for nothing?

Thanks,

No the lid does not rub. There is a thin rubber strip all along the screen edge that stops the metal rubbing. Very nice it is too :)

Regards,

C

EDIT: Oh and you were not alone, I also worried about this and the keys rubbing the screen as it did on my old PowerBook!

Alfadoc

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
RTP, NC
No rubbing, but I did keep the styrofoam sheet in there for a little while, like I did with my 12" PB along time ago! :D

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
so yay or nay on the styrofoam?

It isn't necessary, and it will look tacky. The rubber trim around the screen keeps the metal from rubbing, and there is clearance for the keys. If anything, buy (or make) a cloth that covers the keyboard while the lid is closed to keep the keys from touching the screen. I know they are out there, although I don't know the brand or product names offhand, maybe someone else does.

Vokteren

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
If anything, buy (or make) a cloth that covers the keyboard while the lid is closed to keep the keys from touching the screen. I know they are out there, although I don't know the brand or product names offhand, maybe someone else does.

There's something called The Slip in Norway. Probably from the US anyway, so you guys probably have got them too.

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
It isn't necessary, and it will look tacky.

tacky shmacky. I've been using the foam insert on my MacBook core duo since day 1 and my screen is still completely flawless. All of my friends have keyboard marks on their glossy MacBook displays. Glad I continued to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.