PDA

View Full Version : thermal grease monkeys?

sir. mac
Feb 11, 2008, 08:39 AM
Can anyone tell me how it is that Apple with all their heat problems still doesnīt get right the proper amount of thermal grease?

Just noticed this image of the grease on the MBA CPU from Ifixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/images/air_logic_top.jpg) and to me it looks like itīs poorly done. Can anyone confirm this?

Iīve seen cases on pc where the difference between proper thermal grease means that the fans will kick in a lot easier. I also think I read something about a MBP owner reapplying his thermal grease and getting really good results. Or am I totally overreacting here when it comes to this image from Ifixit? :confused:

Halon X
Feb 11, 2008, 08:45 AM
Is all Thermal grease created equally?

Could there be a reason there is so much and that the amount of grease used seems consistent among multiple products?

hotsauce
Feb 11, 2008, 11:29 AM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

It's an urban legend. I've reapplied the paste in two mbp's and no diffs whatsoever. ymmv.