Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sir. mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
Can anyone tell me how it is that Apple with all their heat problems still doesn´t get right the proper amount of thermal grease?

Just noticed this image of the grease on the MBA CPU from Ifixit and to me it looks like it´s poorly done. Can anyone confirm this?

I´ve seen cases on pc where the difference between proper thermal grease means that the fans will kick in a lot easier. I also think I read something about a MBP owner reapplying his thermal grease and getting really good results. Or am I totally overreacting here when it comes to this image from Ifixit? :confused:

Halon X

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Malibu, CA
Is all Thermal grease created equally?

Could there be a reason there is so much and that the amount of grease used seems consistent among multiple products?

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

It's an urban legend. I've reapplied the paste in two mbp's and no diffs whatsoever. ymmv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.