Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylanemcgregor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
I'm very much a Mac newbie and could use a little assistance upgrading my girlfriend's G4 (dual 500MHz) to panther from 9.0.1 (I think)

Sorry for the very basic questions, but she will kill me if I mess anything up... ;)

I understand that classic runs better if you upgrade to the latest version of OS 9 (9.2.2?) Should I do this before I install panther or after? Where would be a good place to get an upgrade copy of OS 9?

In the Windows world they usually suggest that you reformat before installing the OS. Is this necessary on a Mac? How exactly does the "Classic" environment work? Do you have the option at startup to boot into OS 9, or is it an emulation that runs from within OS X? The majority of her time on the computer is probably going to be spent in Classic mode... we just don't have the money to upgrade all of her software at this time. Is it still worth the upgrade? Will it make running her OS 9 programs a PITA...?

Thanks for any and all help or advice...

-Dylan

fBaran

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2003
OS 9 runs in a window on your desktop, I guess it works well, I never used it. Panther doesn't run Classic I THINK...

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Originally posted by fBaran
OS 9 runs in a window on your desktop, I guess it works well, I never used it. Panther doesn't run Classic I THINK...

Panther most certainly supports Classic. Classic also runs without having to be in a window. The only thing that is in a window is OS 9.2 start up. BTW - I always found 9.2.2 to be better than OS 9.0.1 or OS 9.1

dylanemcgregor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Thanks for the response so far.

Any advice on where to purchace a copy of OS 9.2.2? Is it better to wait to install Panther until after I have upgraded her to 9.2.2?

-Dylan

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Originally posted by dylanemcgregor
Thanks for the response so far.

Any advice on where to purchace a copy of OS 9.2.2? Is it better to wait to install Panther until after I have upgraded her to 9.2.2?

-Dylan

A lady I work with called Apple to find out, and they said you can download it for free off the Apple web site.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
All updates are free and downloadable (if you're in the U.S., I'm not sure if you're elsewhere) from Apple's Support site. You cannot skip from 9.0.x to 9.2.2 directly (with a CD installer you can) thru the downloads. Some of them are quite large, so if you don't have braodband, this could take a while.
The first piece is 9.0.x -> 9.1, the second piece is 9.1 -> 9.2.1, and the third piece is 9.2.1 -> 9.2.2. All of them can be found starting here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75288
Note the Upgrade order..

dylanemcgregor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Originally posted by yellow
All updates are free and downloadable (if you're in the U.S., I'm not sure if you're elsewhere) from Apple's Support site. You cannot skip from 9.0.x to 9.2.2 directly (with a CD installer you can) thru the downloads. Some of them are quite large, so if you don't have braodband, this could take a while.
The first piece is 9.0.x -> 9.1, the second piece is 9.1 -> 9.2.1, and the third piece is 9.2.1 -> 9.2.2. All of them can be found starting here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75288
Note the Upgrade order..

Thanks, I appreciate you posting the download order. I'd seen this referenced at another site...but they didn't mention the specific upgrade path. I guess I will see if I can bring her computer over to my place so she can use my broadband connection...she only gets 14.4 kbps at her place. :rolleyes:

-Dylan

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
That's what I did with my Mom's PowerBook when I installed Jaguar. She had AOL @ like 26K. I have ~1MB Cable, hooked it into my router and it worked without configuration. Updated to 9.1, 9.2.1, 9.2.2., and everything else. Installed OS 10.2, no formatting, no problem. Showed her how to dual boot between the 2.

Now if only she can get get Panther for free (she's a teacher, got Jaguar for free) for her iBook. She still likes OS 9, though. :p

dylanemcgregor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Originally posted by solvs
She still likes OS 9, though. :p

I'm a little afraid of upgrading my girlfriend to OS X, she's not real big on learning new things...at least when it comes to computers.

I'm really doing this for me though, I need Expose...:eek: :D

As a Windows user it has been really frustrating for me to not have a quick way to get to the desktop or to switch between open windows. Looks like Expose is going to make that problem go away with style...:cool:

-Dylan

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Re: Upgrading from OS 9.0.1

A bit more info...
The majority of her time on the computer is probably going to be spent in Classic mode... we just don't have the money to upgrade all of her software at this time. Is it still worth the upgrade? Will it make running her OS 9 programs a PITA...?
Quite the contrary, Classic runs just fine, and better under 10.3 than previous releases (the windows draw better when you drag stuff over them, I believe).

The advantage of running things in Classic as opposed to natively is that when OS9 inevitably crashes, you can just restart classic instead of rebooting the whole computer, since X just keeps on truckin'.

She can also use whatever OSX native software she wants, which will run vastly better than anything in classic--web browsers, for example (your choice of Safari, Camino, or a much newer version of Mozilla than Classic supports).

How exactly does the "Classic" environment work? Do you have the option at startup to boot into OS 9, or is it an emulation that runs from within OS X?
It's similar to emulation--when you want, a virtual machine running classic boots essentially like a seperate application under OSX. Other than that, Classic applications run like any other app (and exactly as they did if your machine is booting into classic natively).

If Classic crashes (which can happen the same way it does if you're running 9 normally), only the classic virtual machine dies, which is essentially like having any other application in OSX crash--the rest of the OS and any apps running are left untouched. This is nice.

Once you've got X installed, if she feels like it she can still boot into OS9 directly--just select it as the startup system in the Preference pane, or hold down Option when the computer starts booting (I think the option trick will work on a computer of that age). To switch back just repeat the process with the Startup Disk Control Panel.

In the Windows world they usually suggest that you reformat before installing the OS. Is this necessary on a Mac?
It's not really necessary, although if you've got a disk utility around it'd be a good idea to run a check first.

A couple other tips:

If she's almost always running at least one classic application, you can set OSX to start Classic at startup to save a bit of time when she launches her first Classic application (otherwise it'll load Classic, which takes about a minute, when she first launches a Classic application). That option is a System Preference.

If you haven't already, dump a bunch of RAM in the computer if you can at all afford it--RAM is dirt cheap these days, and OSX loves it, particularly when running Classic.

Lastly, her computer, being a dual processor, is going to love OSX--Classic barely makes use of the 2nd processor, while OSX does whenever it can. If she plays music in the background with OSX iTunes, it will have essentially zero effect on the performance of Classic, since the OS will divide the work between the two processors.

One more thing: Tell her to prepare to reorganize a bit; she'll probably want to start storing all her files in her Home folder (make sure you throw it in the Dock), which takes some getting used to for a longtime Mac user, but if she sticks with it for a while she'll almost certainly love it after a while.

dylanemcgregor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Thanks for the very comprehensive answers to my questions. I'm feeling a lot more confident about installing Panther after reading your post.

I am upgrading her RAM, I've ordered a 512 stick which will up her total to 768. Should this be "enough?"

Sorry for this total newbie question, but what exactly is the "dock?" I've heard it referenced a lot, but still don't know exactly what it is...

Any other tips?

-Dylan

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I am upgrading her RAM, I've ordered a 512 stick which will up her total to 768. Should this be "enough?"Sorry for this total newbie question, but what exactly is the "dock?"
Yes, that is (more than) enough. The dock is a menu-bar, if you will, that (somewhat) takes place of the Apple Menu and Application Menu from <= OS 9. By default it lives on the bottom of the Desktop and contains shortcuts to Apps, files, and folders. It also tells you what apps are currently running.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Yep, you might say that. No offense taken. It's OK that Apple is stealing from Windows. Windows has been ripping off Apple for years.

b_riggs

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
North Carolina
More advise on OS 9 and Panther

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I highly recommend a separate HD partition for a bootable version of OS 9. You will needat least 1.5 GB for this partition, 2 GB would be better. I tried having a boot OS 9 without a separate partition and it nearly drove me crazy and I am an experienced Mac user.

Also, a full install OS 9.2 CD can be purchased from Apple for $19.95 with a Panther serial number and software coupon. In other words, you have to get Panther first, then send away for the OS 9.2 full install CD. I predict you will be glad you did this.

dylanemcgregor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Thanks for the advice. How do I go about setting up a partition on a Mac...I know how to on a pc, but have never done it.

I'm not sure that her system neds to be able to boot into OS 9. I understand that some programs will only run if the system is booted into OS 9, while others run just fine in Classic mode. From talks with other people it seems that most if not all of the programs she uses will run fine in Classic (Illustrator, Photoshop, Freehand, etc...)

What's the best install order? Do I do a clean install of Panther and then install OS 9.2 on top of it, or is it the other way around?

-Dylan

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Partitioning is done in the Disk Utility. However, IMO, it's not necessary to partition your drive for OS 9. It's a convenience if you want to boot into 9 because you can hold Option on boot and select the start up volume. But even unpartitioned, you can still boot to 9 if you select it as the start up disk inside the OS X system prefs. If you do decide that you want to partition, you're going to have to back up all her data, because partitioning erases the volume.

Also IMO, you'll have an easier time installing the 9 updaters first, before you install Panther. But there's nothing in the world that says you cannot install Panther first.

You could always just buy her another hard drive and throw it in there and install Panther on it. Disk is cheap.

b_riggs

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
North Carolina
What kind of Mac does she have? How big is the HD?

There are advantages to having a bootable partition of OS 9. Classic OS 9 has no access to Hardware and communications and some OS 9 software requires access, consequently will not run in classic.

For more experienced users, there are also things you may want to do to OS 10 that are most easily done while booted up under OS 9.

Anyway, I cannot really tell if this would be an advantage for her or not. I do agree that any OS 9 software that will run in Classic is better off there.

I will be happy to explain how to partition when you tell me more about her Mac. I assume you have a full install CD of OS 9?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Re: Upgrading from OS 9.0.1

I'm very much a Mac newbie and could use a little assistance upgrading my girlfriend's G4 (dual 500MHz) to panther from 9.0.1 (I think)
Part of the answer is in the first post of the thread.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Originally posted by b_riggs
Classic OS 9 has no access to Hardware and communications and some OS 9 software requires access, consequently will not run in classic.
I'm not sure what you mean here, don't mislead him. I think what you mean is that you cannot change network settings, but all the classic apps still have access to the network stack. I.,e, Internet Explorer in Classic can still get to web pages just fine.

b_riggs

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
North Carolina
To Yellow

You are correct, you can boot to OS 9 without a separate partition. However, I guarantee that both you and OS 10 will (at least occasionally) get confused over having two OS 9 System Folders on the same HD, one for booting and one for Classic.

This can partially be delt with with Conflict Catcher Version 9, but I still ran into confusion and was much happier when I went to a separate partition. Also, Conflict Catcher version 9 costs money. I tried both ways so I am speaking from experience.

b_riggs

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
North Carolina
To Yellow

I should have said direct access. For example, the TCP/IP control panel is not available under classic. Some OS 9 software requires this. There are other instances. I have no way of knowing whether any of her OS 9 software falls into this category. But no one is claiming that all OS 9 software will run under classic. When it does not, this lack of direct access to hardware is usually the reason.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Re: To Yellow

Originally posted by b_riggs
You are correct, you can boot to OS 9 without a separate partition. However, I guarantee that both you and OS 10 will (at least occasionally) get confused over having two OS 9 System Folders on the same HD, one for booting and one for Classic.
Why on earth do you have 2 System Folders? If the machine has the ROMs to boot into OS 9, it uses the same System Folder that Classic uses to start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.