View Full Version : Your Absolute Favorite Mac Game

mc68k
Apr 29, 2002, 12:47 AM
Mine -> Tetris

Original port for Mac
Spectrum Holobyte
©1988
Black and White

Countless hours on this. Replay value=100%. Curious to know what your all-time favorite game of is for the Mac (since this is Mac gaming).

mmmdreg
Apr 29, 2002, 12:56 AM
I still have a tetris on my computer..it can be alright.. think Sierra's LodeRunner was good, especially the custom-built levels...recently, I picked up cro-mag rally and played a bit with my brothers (hey, I'm still young) and it can be sorta fun...quake3 was good but I got bored and I started playing the Instagib mod, rail guns only, and now my accuracy is so good, I can go to those Internet/game cafes and pwn the whole building!..but i think loderunner wins overall...

BTW, you know there's a Tetris built into OSX in the terminal?

Beej
Apr 29, 2002, 12:57 AM
Risk. What a game.

mc68k
Apr 29, 2002, 01:00 AM
ROFL! Beej, that's the funniest thing I've seen in a while (your avatar)! Good work, fits your style. The animated smoke with the corn was cool, could you bring that back?

Tetris in the terminal? I'm VERY curious. Show me please. I'm addicted to all forms of tetris.

jelloshotsrule
Apr 29, 2002, 01:01 AM
risk is good.

as are the civ games...

can be very very addicting

mmmdreg
Apr 29, 2002, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by mc68k
..Tetris in the terminal? I'm VERY curious. Show me please. I'm addicted to all forms of tetris.

OK..in a terminal, type "emacs" (without the quotes), then press Esc, then x, then type "tetris" and you're in...spacebar and arrows are the keys I think..havent played for ages..

Beej
Apr 29, 2002, 01:11 AM
ROFL! Beej, that's the funniest thing I've seen in a while (your avatar)! Good work, fits your style. The animated smoke with the corn was cool, could you bring that back?:D

If the demand is great enough, I may be forced to animate the smoke...

mc68k
Apr 29, 2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by mmmdreg

OK..in a terminal, type "emacs" (without the quotes), then press Esc, then x, then type "tetris" and you're in...spacebar and arrows are the keys I think..havent played for ages..

Thanks, sort of cheesy, but available wherever there's UNIX. Just like the vi text editor (my fav).

Mr. Anderson
Apr 29, 2002, 12:34 PM
My favorite has to be MythII. Bungie kicked @ss with that one. I'd just like to see Halo soon.:D

Rower_CPU
Apr 29, 2002, 12:40 PM
Only thing I've ever played is Aquamines...most of my gaming past occured on PCs and platforms...sorry:(

mischief
Apr 29, 2002, 01:03 PM
Diablo 2 is the current frontrunner.

Quake 3 (Network test Beta demo)

Driver (Hacked Demo)

Starcraft/Broodwar

mischief
Apr 29, 2002, 01:09 PM
RE: "Driver" demo mods.

Does anyone remember how to make the 'Frisco map work? I can't get the event script to show up. I ran the demo once through to get the map but don't have the event script and I'm bored with Miami.

For those who don't know, the "Driver" demo is easily hacked into a 1 city Titanium Deathcar free-for-all.:D But you're stuck in Miami until you play it once without the hacks and "lose the tail" at which point (theoretically) you should be able to switch to SF.

King Cobra
Apr 29, 2002, 04:18 PM
I am a little surprised no one has mentioned this game. My new favorite is the Breakout game on the iPod. I almost set the record of 1376, but I only made 1348. (No photo, but it did happen.) When I ave time I will try for 1400.

Before the iPod came out I was playing Sigma Chess on the Mac. It's a chess game and just gets better and better. I have played it from version 4, and although it has improved, I haven't.

If you are looking for it (OS 9 or OS X), go to:
www.sigmachess.com

If you are looking for that Breakout game, get an iPod and sit still.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

mc68k
Apr 29, 2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
I am a little surprised no one has mentioned this game. My new favorite is the Breakout game on the iPod. I almost set the record of 1376, but I only made 1348. (No photo, but it did happen.) When I ave time I will try for 1400.

If you had a screenshot, you could have won some money (http://www.applestudentdevelopers.org/features/iPodContest/index.php). Entries due 4/30 midnight.

I agree. The game is fun as an on-the-go time waster (like in class :)).

King Cobra
Apr 29, 2002, 05:25 PM

If you had a screenshot, you could have won some money. Entries due 4/30 midnight.

I agree. The game is fun as an on-the-go time waster (like in class :)).

My picture is due by tomorrow night? Well, I can always wait for the following contest.

But when I break 1400 or 1500 I probably will post a photo (unedited by Photoshop).

I have too much to do right now to score a new record. I MIGHT be able to squeeze in a round, but it will take two hours of my time.

"like in class" . . . that reminds me. I could play the game into my English period!

mc68k
Apr 29, 2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra

My picture is due by tomorrow night? Well, I can always wait for the following contest.

"like in class" . . . that reminds me. I could play the game into my English period!

Yes, tomorrow night.

Now your thinking! Just don't let it draw attention to yourself. My high score was set in BIO class. I just wanted to post it to some iPod site for posterity, but instead I have the chance to win some $. Good deal.

macstudent
Apr 29, 2002, 05:42 PM
Mac Brickout is the best mac game ever.

I played that game for 4 years stright in high school. I can't wait til the OS X version is done.

www.leapfrogsw.com

Durandal7
Apr 29, 2002, 06:04 PM
Marathon Infinity
nuff' said

-edit: guess that macrumors doesn't like the infinity symbol (option+5)

King Cobra
Apr 29, 2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by macstudent
Mac Brickout is the best mac game ever.

I played that game for 4 years stright in high school. I can't wait til the OS X version is done.

www.leapfrogsw.com

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that (sort of). I have been using OS X and Sigma Chess for such a while I forgot about the top dog OS 9 version of Breakout. That was an above average game, but a little hard.

Question about the game Brickout: I was able to get up to Level 19 on the demo version 4.0.something and I hit the ball through the transporters to where it should go into the small passage on the left. But the ball kept bouncing back and forth and the game locked up.

What was wrong? I don't need an answer now, but it would be nice to know. I was running 9.1, most likely.

me hate windows
Apr 29, 2002, 07:59 PM
LodeRunner

The Count
Apr 29, 2002, 09:32 PM
I know I'm dating myself, but i got lots of good time out of ZORK (original on the Apple II+) and then for the Macs.

have some aphex acid
Apr 30, 2002, 12:08 PM
Fool's Errand! Someone needs to port this to OS X, or even OS 9.

Dark Castle!

the Marathon Trilogy. I dunno about you, but I can beat most of it with just my Fist on Total Carnage.

jelloshotsrule
Apr 30, 2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by me hate windows
LodeRunner

wow that was a great game...

when will we see an os x version? hmmm.....

mc68k
Apr 30, 2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

wow that was a great game...

when will we see an os x version? hmmm.....

Might be a while-- you can always emul8 (http://emulation.net/macintosh/).

spuncan
Apr 30, 2002, 04:27 PM
My favorite games are the following
1. EV
2. EVN
3. UT
4. EVO
5. Marathon series

Right now I'm playing EVN and UT can't wait for UT2K3.
I wish I could get a faster computer then my G3 233 w/ a Rage 2+ Ugh.
At this point there is quite a bit of lag which hurts me in UT.
I like open ended games (1st.PS) or highly adaptable games (EV series).

TiMacLover
Apr 30, 2002, 04:32 PM
Oni
Unreal Tournament
Tony Hawk Pro Skater

mmmdreg
May 1, 2002, 03:38 AM
As I said, Loderunner was good..but it's upgrade loderunner 3d or whatever was pretty bad..I also liked Prince of Persia..but that was a while ago too...

Geert
May 1, 2002, 04:08 AM
Karateka! number 1 game ever.
the new games are all great, but karateka is my number one.

Macmaniac
May 1, 2002, 08:41 AM
Ohh Favorite game has to be Starcraft in OS X, it is sweet!
One of the best shareware games has to be Escape Velocity! Have you got a Kestrel?
Warcraft 2 was my orginal favorite(Sweet on a Performa)
Snood is also a great game.

freedom
May 1, 2002, 09:08 AM
I consider Beyond Dark Castle
the best mac-game ever!
(those sounds! those monsters!)
It was only made for mac. I think…

I´ve spent a few hours with Baldur´s Gate
as well as Pirate´s Gold.
But they weren´t made exclusively for mac…

3rdpath
May 2, 2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Macmaniac

Snood is also a great game.

snood is a blast. had to cool it for awhile because the wife saw my gamescores and figured i might could use my time more constructively....
( of course, SHE downloaded the game )

and maybe i'm a wuss, but i loved tombraider for mac-much better than the blurred-out playstation stuff.:D

Unregistered
May 2, 2002, 04:24 AM
oregon trail

mc68k
May 2, 2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
oregon trail

Well I did call this best Mac game, but if the topic were extended to the Apple II series, this would be my choice.

I wonder what the kids play nowadays? Certainly couldn't be better than that IMO. Simpler is better.

MacLuver23
May 2, 2002, 01:16 PM
:D I like Unreal Tournament the most... but I wanna get CIvilization III, then I'll see which one I like better....:D

mmmdreg
May 3, 2002, 06:49 AM
I personally find Q3 better than UT...unreal seems more stupid as in it just feels more childish (I duuno if that makes sense but anyway...)..Q3 feels like more of a real game..

gerror
May 3, 2002, 07:18 AM
I go for CivilizationI. I've spend so much quality time on it.
Anybody knows if it's feeware and where to download it or buy it, cause I lost it and I can't buy it anywhere.

Also Warcraft II rules.

King Cobra
May 3, 2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by gerror
I go for CivilizationI. I've spend so much quality time on it.
Anybody knows if it's feeware and where to download it or buy it, cause I lost it and I can't buy it anywhere.

http://download.com.com/3000-2295-855180.html?tag=lst-0-3

I think that is what you are looking for. For System 7, right? Well, you will have to pay to play.

Wow, so many people have brought up old games we once knew: Prince of Persia, Oregon Trail, etc. It makes you wonder what it was like to feel young again.

I have another few years yet. :)

Ensign Paris
May 3, 2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by spuncan
My favorite games are the following
1. EV
2. EVN

Hey, I seriously love EV, my favourite was EVO but EVN is the only one I play now (OSX)

check out http://starbase64.brooklineuk.com/ - I did this while back, haven't updated since :)

Ensign

jelloshotsrule
May 3, 2002, 11:14 PM
i plan to spend a good amount of time playing civ 3 once school is over next week....

in the mean time, i'm really looking forward to links 2002 for my os x native golf experience!

anyone have any experience playing sacrifice or summoner?

just curious how people like or don't like them....

MacLuver23
May 3, 2002, 11:43 PM
I think UT is the best 1st person shooter game... waiting for UT 2 to come out but I need a little help. I have two Suncom iFX4000 (iSFXplus) Joysticks. (:Dthey were $1.99 each at EB GameWorld:D) Is there a way I can use both of them at the same time? Like one for the Looking and one for Moving. In UT this would be great. I have a old iBook so I will have to use my hub. But is it possible... when you go to the Input Devices menu in UT it shows a list of deviecs... would it show both of my USB joysticks (though the same brand) I haven't tried it yet but can anyone help!?:confused: E-Mail me @ iBook238@mac.com because there is something wrong with my MacLuver23 (macrumors) account.... thanks a bunch... bye:)

Mr. Anderson
May 3, 2002, 11:50 PM
i plan to spend a good amount of time playing civ 3 once school is over next week....

I'm really getting hooked on this game. I've been playing it on and off over the last week since I got it and I've finally got things rolling so that I'm almost in the Modern Age. Not doing great, but I'm still ahead. I'll end up running another game when this is done, after learning a few things too late, and I don't want to go back and start it all over yet, since I'm more that 3/4s finished.

jelloshotsrule
May 4, 2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I'm really getting hooked on this game. I've been playing it on and off over the last week since I got it and I've finally got things rolling so that I'm almost in the Modern Age. Not doing great, but I'm still ahead. I'll end up running another game when this is done, after learning a few things too late, and I don't want to go back and start it all over yet, since I'm more that 3/4s finished.

that's the great thing about the game... the closer you get to the end the more you learn and the more you want to go back and start anew. i always find myself thinking "what the hell? i should've gotten more cities going earlier"... etc. it's incredibly addictive, so i've held back on playing at all for the last few weeks as school is getting nuts... but, only one last animation and finishing up my sitcom!

anyways, yeah it's great. two things i find annoying.

1: i never seem to be on time with my science. i'm always way ahead of the other civs, but in 2020 i'm just finding out how to fly. which dampens the excitement a bit.

2: the game ends at 2050 (you can continue but it doesn't score it)... so with the science being slow for me, i end without having enough time to get to the real end....

duke: what levels are you playing on? easy? or what... my cultural influence is always massive. but yet my power remains relatively low usually.... weird.

spinner
May 4, 2002, 01:11 AM
1. Reserved for Halo (IF it is ever released. Everyone say, "Thanks a lot Microshaft!!" :mad: )

2. Diablo 2

3. Marathon Trilogy

4. Starcraft

5. Civilization II

I would just like to give a special thank you to Blizzard Entertainment for making OS X patches for 2 of my all time favorites. Two less reasons to boot into OS 9 ;)

emdezet
May 4, 2002, 02:07 AM
Unreal Tournament

Anyone remember "Syndicate"? I played that til break of dawn and then of dusk again:D

X-Wing kept me up all night, too. Although the Death Star Missions really seemed to involve too much rendering for my 7100/66;)

MacIago is my current favorite. It's a reversi, or what you may call it.

I'd love to see more Star Wars titles for mac. But all they port have been the kiddie games lately. Thanks a lot Lucas! Who needs Jedi Knight anyway?!

Last, but not least: Time Shock - the pinball
I like that SciFi timetravel setting. The engine and the graphics kick ass.

AlphaTech
May 4, 2002, 02:24 AM
Future Cop L.A.P.D is top of the list for hours of fun without gibs... next would be Marathon (2 and/or infinity), then comes Unreal Tournament.

I hope to install Future Cop onto the new TiBook this weekend, but only if it will run under OS 9.2.2. I am pretty sure it won't run under OS X (a damn shame if you ask me), but since I am not wiping the drive in the TiBook, I am keeping OS 9.2.2 installed. With the 32MB of video memory, games should be more then happy, at least for the next few years (I hope).

afonso
May 4, 2002, 03:26 AM
loderunner, dark castle were amazing at the time!

i loved zork... do u remember all the others? the hitchiker's guide to the galazy, suspect, etc etc :) they were great :)

uninvited was really nice...

i remember a first person shooter, if u can call it that, named colony :) i thought it was great having all that wireframe modelling at the time hehehe

i love all those kinds of puzzle-type games, like fool's errand, the 7th guest, the 11th hour, etc... they were EXTREMELY addictive...

and, of course, i can still remember when the first Myst came out...

Later,
afonso

kiwi_the_iwik
May 4, 2002, 06:13 AM
Mine has to be F/A 18 Hornet Korea Gold. I bought Hornet 1.0 10 years ago and was amazed how it worked on my LCII (it still played slowly, and I vowed to get a decent computer to run it on). Now I've got a G4, and Korea's bloody fantastic - the graphics are incredible.

Now all Graphsim have to do is to create new theaters to give the game a new lease of life.

So if there's any Graphsim reps reading this - how about a patch for Hornet 3.0 to give it OpenGL support? That'll give it a huge kick in the right direction (99% of Hornet 3.0 is sand, so it shouldn't be a problem...)!

kiwi_the_iwik
May 4, 2002, 06:19 AM
...Oh - and OSX support would be nice as wel...

iGav
May 4, 2002, 07:19 AM
Well I don't really have a favourite Mac game...... I dig Quake 3, although performance is lacking on my TiBook....

if I get the time, I play Outrun through my Mame Emulator...... truely retro..... :D

Back in the 80's on my Atari 65XE, I'm sure Zaxxon and Code Masters Grand Prix Simulator was heavily used...... oh those were the days.... 45 minutes cassette loads on an XC12 datacorder......
:) ;) :D :p :p

nagromme
May 4, 2002, 08:28 AM
D3 is my all-time favorite to this day. Go buy it. Best multiplayer on earth. NOT a flight sim: this is a Quake-style FPS without gravity.... and with your choice of any two of your currently-held weapons on your mouse at once! And you're usually indoors, just like other FPS games. Only you can hide at the ceiling...

I think people expect to play it with joystick, but if you like UT and Quake, grab your mouse instead--much easier to control. Everything you know about FPS games applies... powerups, health, ammo, alt-fire, sniping, camping, spawning, even capture-the-flag! Only at half the speed of sound. Go one-on-one with another newbie and you'll be hooked. And if you want real-time strategy, it comes with the Entropy mod.

Don't know why D3 doesn't outsell UT--there are HUNDEREDS of free levels for D3, just like for UT. Even some cool Mac-friendly mods, like Earthshaker. And the online games list comes up fast. I guess it's because the demo is useless... don't even bother with the download.

I do enjoy UT for a change, but... why would I RATHER walk than fly?

And lastly, the weapons and effects.... other games just feel wimpy after you've had a D3 Mass Driver in your hands.

Mr. Anderson
May 4, 2002, 09:33 AM

1: i never seem to be on time with my science. i'm always way ahead of the other civs, but in 2020 i'm just finding out how to fly. which dampens the excitement a bit.

2: the game ends at 2050 (you can continue but it doesn't score it)... so with the science being slow for me, i end without having enough time to get to the real end....

duke: what levels are you playing on? easy? or what... my cultural influence is always massive. but yet my power remains relatively low usually.... weird.

Oh that sucks! I can't believe the game ends at 2050, that sucks. I'm at 2019 and I'm blasting other civs with my battleships and tanks, bombing them with the bomber and I have only one more civ advance and I move into modern times. It was never this hard to get civ advances in II, its weird. It'll be one thing I do differently next game.

I'm having problems launching fighters from my aircraft carrier, how do you do that, I didn't see anything in the manual about it.

jelloshotsrule
May 4, 2002, 01:28 PM
Oh that sucks! I can't believe the game ends at 2050, that sucks. I'm at 2019 and I'm blasting other civs with my battleships and tanks, bombing them with the bomber and I have only one more civ advance and I move into modern times. It was never this hard to get civ advances in II, its weird. It'll be one thing I do differently next game.

I'm having problems launching fighters from my aircraft carrier, how do you do that, I didn't see anything in the manual about it.

see, that's the thing, i don't know how to actually improve my science improvements speed. i mean, i know how technically (ie, increasing science spending, more scientists, etc) but i already have like 60-70% on science, and i usually use the extra people in a place for entertainers, not scientists...

as for the planes. i had that problem and indeed the book doesn't help. you need to click on the ship they're on... maybe control click and then say "wake up fighter" or whatever. whenever the ship moves, the planes go back to sleep. so you have to do that all the time when you're moving. quite annoying. however, if they're stationed in the sea close enough to a city and the ship isn't moving, then you just bounce em awake once and they'll come up every turn. or at least should. til the ship moves.

you can continue past 2050, but the score dies there. so it's a bit pointless.... you playing on the easiest setting? i know i am...

me hate windows
May 4, 2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by mmmdreg
As I said, Loderunner was good..but it's upgrade loderunner 3d or whatever was pretty bad..I also liked Prince of Persia..but that was a while ago too...

Yup, loderuneer 2 sucked *****

jelloshotsrule
May 4, 2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by emdezet
Anyone remember "Syndicate"? I played that til break of dawn and then of dusk again:D

syndicate is/was great

i can still clearly hear the little voice saying "selected" in that weird way...

quite a good game. are there any newer ones that are similar at all? i'd love to get into that again... can never waste enough time... ha

me hate windows
May 4, 2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by nagromme

And lastly, the weapons and effects.... other games just feel wimpy after you've had a D3 Mass Driver in your hands.

Uh huh Uh huh Uh huh:)

Or a flamethrower:D

Mr. Anderson
May 4, 2002, 08:32 PM

you can continue past 2050, but the score dies there. so it's a bit pointless.... you playing on the easiest setting? i know i am...

Absolutely. I'm having a hard enough time as it is now, I don't even want to think what it would be like with actual competition. I do realize I'm not using the espionage effectively, I'll do that next game. And I did remove one country from the game after about 2000 years. I wanted their resources so I just took them out. Well, I'll probably finish it this next week or so and let you know how I did.

jelloshotsrule
May 4, 2002, 08:39 PM
Absolutely. I'm having a hard enough time as it is now, I don't even want to think what it would be like with actual competition. I do realize I'm not using the espionage effectively, I'll do that next game. And I did remove one country from the game after about 2000 years. I wanted their resources so I just took them out. Well, I'll probably finish it this next week or so and let you know how I did.

sounds good. i don't think i've ever totally taken out any given civ. i usually go the more diplomatic route. ha. i will say this (though you probably know)... if you want to take people out with military tactics, don't use a democracy! the people get incredibly unhappy and hard to please...

did my suggestion on the planes attacking from the carrier work out?

i've never used the espionage much. it's expensive, and when i have tried it, it is either not worth it or a given civ is immune to it... so i don't bother. let me know if you find a way to use it that is useful.

Mr. Anderson
May 4, 2002, 11:42 PM

did my suggestion on the planes attacking from the carrier work out?

i've never used the espionage much. it's expensive, and when i have tried it, it is either not worth it or a given civ is immune to it... so i don't bother. let me know if you find a way to use it that is useful.

I haven't had a chance to play in a while, been busy doing other things. It figures on the espionage thing not being that effective. Its like the damn ships not being able to take out ground troups or troups in cities, just knocking down to one point. That really hurt the first time I started getting set to attack a county. I was playing the English so I had the Man-O-War, built a bunch and went looking for a nice ripe city with good resources and only took a few musketeers and a cavarly. I get there and start bombarding (which I like better, especially with the battleships) and I couldn't kill any one. I wasn't going to land my troups until I had effectively remove the bad guys. What a pain. I ended up reloading a saved game from hours earlier and had to redo my strat. Oh, well, I learned and I'll use it to my advantage next game, that's the way it goes.

jelloshotsrule
May 5, 2002, 12:14 AM
screw being busy. you find time for civ! haha..

let me know if it works when you get to it.

yeah, i hear you about the bombardment... evne though the bombardment is often unsuccessful (especially with planes)... but oh well. it's still safer to damage em bad and then send in guys to clean up.... live and learn

gerror
May 5, 2002, 12:41 PM
http://download.com.com/3000-2295-8...tml?tag=lst-0-3
Thanx King Cobra, you ARE the King! :)

King Cobra
May 5, 2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by gerror

Thanx King Cobra, you ARE the King! :)

I get that a lot . . . :)

All I did was try the easiest plan first, search on CNet. If I couldn't find it there, then I would have searched

http://mac.tucows.inwind.it/

If that didn't work, I would have used a regular search engine, but that would have taken a while.

Another CNet resource for games and other downloads is www.shareware.com which relates to CNet. It's really not that hard to find. Just know the resources. If you are lucky, you will find it.

I remember Prince of Persia for Super Nintendo. I mostly liked the strategy and layout. I will admit, I used to play this game constantly, when by age didn't reached double digits yet, but it was a really neat game.

Before I switched to OS X I played Virtual Pool (for the Mac of course, and also for N64), but I just became more interested in Sigma Chess.

ArtMan617
May 21, 2002, 08:41 PM
Ive got two words for you:

Shufflepuck Cafe

Oh, wait...two more words:

Cosmic Osmo

Oh, sorry...I have two more...

The Manhole

I have hours upon hours of fond memories of playing those wonderful games...can anyone else relate to this?

-ArtMan617

firewire2001
May 21, 2002, 09:01 PM
gosh.. gotta be glider pro... :D

remember those days? heh.. they have it for os x now! yayz!

Macmaniac
May 21, 2002, 10:03 PM
My first computer game was Oregon Trail on an Apple 2! Man it was sweet B&W graphics and when u went hunting you were a little white man with little white animals running around. I played that game on the Apple 2 until 5th grade by that time we had a color floppy of it.

mc68k
May 21, 2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by ArtMan617
Shufflepuck Cafe

Yes, I can relate. That game was real fun, 'til I found out the patterns of the characters. I think Eneg was the hardest.

They also were developing for the IIgs, but never released it:

Here's the link: http://www.inwards.com/~fairway/game_pages/shufflepuck_cafe.html

andrew050703
Mar 13, 2006, 08:33 AM

liketom
Mar 13, 2006, 08:46 AM
i cant seem to stop playing Halo demo very cool and now with the tanks mod :cool:

latido
Mar 16, 2006, 02:45 PM
My favorite game is WoW for sure! Other than the internet access fees everything to do with this game is cool :cool:

whooleytoo
Mar 16, 2006, 03:03 PM
I really loved Dark Castle. Armor Alley was another I wasted many an hour on.

Anonymous Freak
Mar 16, 2006, 03:32 PM
Gotta be NetTrek. I remember playing it on networked Mac Plusses at the local Science Center (http://www.omsi.edu) back in the mid '80s.

That, Glider Pro, and Shufflepuck Cafe have to be my all time old-school favorites.

As for modern games? Who has time for games anymore when you have a small business and a family?

Photorun
Mar 16, 2006, 04:00 PM

OMG! I loved that game! I remember calling in sick to play that game, played it for 18 hours straight trying to get to the end. Played it on a Performa 410. I found the disc recently and tried to play it booting in Classic on my old iBook G3 500 and it kept crashing. I was bummed, definitely a blast from the past. Great game!

GaseousPlatypus
Mar 16, 2006, 06:09 PM
This thread is from 2002...

Anonymous Freak
Mar 16, 2006, 08:53 PM
This thread is from 2002...

Yup, it's always fun when old threads get dug up.

nph
Mar 16, 2006, 09:54 PM
No no no, the best game ever is Spaceward Ho!
It is one of the few really good network games. A friend and I still fire up a game from time to time.
Best of all he sits in Europe and I sit here but the bandwidth requirement and system reqs are very low.
But the replay factor is high!!
Used to pay in the computer room in college back in the old days in the mac room! internet was not that big in 1989...:D

pknz
Mar 16, 2006, 11:36 PM
Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far
and
F/A-18 Hornet
and
Marathon ∞

mrwildguitar
Mar 16, 2006, 11:52 PM
Nanosaur! Memories of playing it when aiding for my eighth grade science teacher.

Good times.

Kingsly
Mar 17, 2006, 12:57 AM
As far as replayibility: Splinter Cell. I dont know why, I know the maps and guard patterns like the back of my hand but still every time I play I am entertained. :confused:

Pittsax
Mar 17, 2006, 11:49 AM
Disclaimer: I did most of my Mac gaming on a Performa 400 way back in the day (I had a PC for my gaming all through college), so this list is going to be really retro.

My top four Mac-played games of all time are (in no particular order)

Spectre Supreme - basically you drive a tank around trying to pick up flags while fighting off various enemies. The game had a "Tron-like" look to it since it was all polygon based (at least it looked that way).

Space Quest (any from the series, but my favorites were I and IV) - Roger Wilko, space janitor saves the universe. One of the classic point-and-click adventure games (even had a parsing system (ugh!) in earlier versions)

Sim City 2000 - I played this for hours on end. I still think it's the best of the series in a lot of ways.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - Another point-and-click adventure game. Played it to death.

airmac
Mar 17, 2006, 12:39 PM
unreal

MacRumorUser
Mar 17, 2006, 02:12 PM
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - Another point-and-click adventure game. Played it to death.

That game was pure class from start to finish :D

Pittsax
Mar 17, 2006, 05:02 PM
That game was pure class from start to finish :D
Do I detect a trace of sarcasm in that post? :rolleyes:

Eevee
Mar 17, 2006, 05:08 PM
i cant seem to stop playing Halo ... very cool and now with the tanks mod :cool:

Yeah..after a long day at work, I enjoy playing Halo multiplayer.

MacRumorUser
Mar 17, 2006, 05:22 PM
Do I detect a trace of sarcasm in that post? :rolleyes:

nope :) Sarcasm would have been ;) i was just :D because someone loves that game as much as me :) It certainly is one of the best games I ever played, I loved all the lucasart adventures..

Queso
Mar 17, 2006, 05:33 PM
Master of Orion 2 (that's a 2, definitely not a 3)

That game was fantastic. I used to love the whole sneakiness of it. Get friendly with player A, get them to declare war on player B, then position your ships around A's best planets while his fleets were away and attack all at once. With any luck player B would even take out most of A's fleet before he had a chance to come back and try to fight you off. Brilliant.

Sadly, it never got Carbonised, and although it runs mostly in Classic, it bombs out if you invade a planet. Makes the game a lot harder if you can't steal other player's colonies. I did get it working in SheepShaver for OSX, but God was it slow. Shame.

quigleybc
Mar 17, 2006, 07:41 PM
I have yet to play a game I liked on the mac...I wish I could afford the monthly fees of WOW, and the amount of time needed, but alas...I cannot.

I've tried:

Age of Mythology
Civ III
Halo (good on the x box)
KOTOR (good on the x box)
Postal II
Fallout 2
Neverwinter nights
Homeworld 2
Star Wars battlefront
Lego starwars
Age of Empires.

and others. My friend has all those, and I play, and I get bored.

I wish WOW was a one time fee. but oh well.

I used to like video games...I swear i did.

*Edit* Stubbs the Zombie is fun as hell...

Pittsax
Mar 17, 2006, 09:33 PM
nope :) Sarcasm would have been ;) i was just :D because someone loves that game as much as me :) It certainly is one of the best games I ever played, I loved all the lucasart adventures..
Okay, just checking :D I spent many hours of my younger life playing that game. The fact that it had three story options made me spend all the more time playing it instead of doing something useful...

Shamus
Mar 17, 2006, 10:39 PM
Fun yet addictive: Marble Blast Gold

Xeem
Mar 17, 2006, 10:50 PM
Marathon series, then Myth series. Bungie was brilliant in its heyday.

tip
Mar 18, 2006, 12:20 AM
Dark Castle and Beyond Dark Castle
Airborne
Quarterstaff
Wizardry
Ultima II and III
I also liked some of the shareware games created with World Builder

harveypooka
Mar 19, 2006, 02:16 PM
Fallout. Brilliant. 3/4 view. Post apocalyptic. Mutants. Guns. Nasty death sequences. Great cut scenes. I love it. I want to live in the Fallout universe.

harveypooka
Mar 19, 2006, 02:18 PM
Oh oh! Full Throttle? Again, ace game. Daedalus Encounter? Ace! Tia Carerre too....hmmmm.