PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Word 2008 slow?

ViperrepiV
Feb 11, 2008, 12:33 PM
I just installed microsoft word....it is a little slow...i.e. the typing shows up a split second after i type, instead of instantaneous...I think because of the spelling/grammar checking. anyone else witness this?

aiongiant
Feb 11, 2008, 12:37 PM
it ran slow on my macbook pro also.. i think it's the program itself
the old 2004 one runs wayyy faster

shadowfax
Feb 11, 2008, 01:09 PM
I went to the Apple Store Saturday and played with Office 2008 on a nice MBP. It was pretty slick, till it crashed after about 30 seconds of usage--I was flipping through templates and it just got confused and died. I expect it will improve with a "service pack" MS is famous for.

I didn't find it particularly slow, but not really noticeably faster than Office 2004 in emulation, which is a little sad. Again, the app is pretty tolerable, but I wish they would make a nice lightweight editing program that was fast, rather than "taking advantage of the latest computer speeds" and making it even more of a resource hog. Oh well.

bjdraw
Feb 11, 2008, 02:14 PM
Maybe I'm not sensitive to delays when typing, but I've used word '08 a few time on my MBA and haven't noticed any delays.

mctheriot
Feb 11, 2008, 02:40 PM
It is slow for me (and "crashy") but if you search around - there's a ton of complaints about how slow it is - not an MBA issue. Reviews have also be criticizing it for lack of speed increases with the new version.

Mark

HLdan
Feb 11, 2008, 02:48 PM
Same here, I use iWork which is really fast however I use Office 2008 for compatibility sometimes. Launch times for Office 2008 are awful slow especially on Word. The Windows version (2007) launches the suite almost instantly, hmm, I wonder why??? I hate Microsoft. They just want to keep Mac users at home like a dutiful wife and not in the business world.

southerndoc
Feb 11, 2008, 02:51 PM
Microsoft should be careful. It risks alienating a bunch of users who might make a mass exodus to NeoOffice, Open Office, or a similar free Office suite.

ClassicBean
Feb 11, 2008, 02:59 PM
Mine runs much faster than the 2004 version. I actually really like it. Runs well on both my 2.0 Ghz iMac and 2.15 Ghz MacBook Pro. I'm not a fan of Microsoft at all but they did a good job with Mac Office 2008 in my opinion.

HLdan
Feb 11, 2008, 03:00 PM
Microsoft should be careful. It risks alienating a bunch of users who might make a mass exodus to NeoOffice, Open Office, or a similar free Office suite.

Microsoft could care less about the Mac community. I spoke to one of the managers on the design team at Macworld about the missing VB Macros support and she said it was due to Apple switching over to Intel and Microsoft ran short on time so in order to get it out in time for Macworld they could not include it.
That's such BS because there are a lot of new (Mac Only) things in Office 2008 that many people don't need like the Expression Media Pack. They had time to make that but not include VB Macros support? We need this for compatibility with the Windows version.
Sometimes I could just smack Bill Gates:mad:

shadowfax
Feb 11, 2008, 03:12 PM
Microsoft could care less about the Mac community. I spoke to one of the managers on the design team at Macworld about the missing VB Macros support and she said it was due to Apple switching over to Intel and Microsoft ran short on time so in order to get it out in time for Macworld they could not include it.
That's such BS because there are a lot of new (Mac Only) things in Office 2008 that many people don't need like the Expression Media Pack. They had time to make that but not include VB Macros support? We need this for compatibility with the Windows version.
Sometimes I could just smack Bill Gates:mad:

Bill Gates has little to do with it anymore. The VB stuff is not so huge, I am glad they replaced it with AppleScript.

I don't think 2008 is as big a problem for MS as 2007--It's their Windows users they should be afraid of alienating.

As for 2008, I thought the UI design was very nice by comparison with 2007 and 2004. I am hoping they will correct some of the performance issues and stability issues in the relatively near future. Let's not forget that Leopard itself isn't necessarily all that stable yet, though it is performing well.

MLWings19
Feb 11, 2008, 03:26 PM
My Office 2008 is very slow to open. It usually takes at least 30 seconds to completely open. It isn't just Word. Excel has the same problem. I thought it was supposed to be faster now that it is Universal.

BornAgainMac
Feb 11, 2008, 04:00 PM
So it is universally slower now? Microsoft is strange. I wish Microsoft would switch their Windows Vista platform to PowerPC G4's so their failure is complete.

ViperrepiV
Feb 11, 2008, 11:31 PM
Okay, good to know (although kinda sad to hear) that it's not just me experiencing this crap.

Although to all of you who are bitching at Microsoft for not giving a ***** about mac programming and making their code slow and bloated, Apple does the same thing with itunes in windows. My God, it is slow in windows! So both are to blame. I just don't think they put the effort in.

Although Microsoft is more to blame, honestly, becuase they make you pay for their crap, while itunes is free.

macRat17
Feb 12, 2008, 12:05 AM
my office 2008 crashed every time i do a spell/grammar check. Super annoying. Ive actually gone back to office 04 even though its a bit slower, its more reliable, for the time being at least. Good thing i didnt actually pay for office 08.

chelseasian
Feb 12, 2008, 12:13 AM
I've installed Office for Mac 2008 but so far I have yet to really test out any of the apps as i keep using iWork instead. I figured I will use it only when people send me a .doc or .xls. or .ppt file, which technically I can open in iWork. But for quality assurance purpose I rather work in Office to be safe, especially Powerpoint. A lot of the fancy stuff does not translate into the Windows version at all- i.e. drop shadows in Office for Mac 2004 does not look anywhere near how it should look in Windows.

khunsanook
Feb 12, 2008, 12:18 AM
I just installed microsoft word....it is a little slow...i.e. the typing shows up a split second after i type, instead of instantaneous...I think because of the spelling/grammar checking. anyone else witness this?

I'm not sure why you're getting the typing lag. I had this problem with Office 2004 (on my Core Duo MacBook), but Office 2008 is smooth as silk when I type. it does take awhile to open initially, but after that no probs...yet :rolleyes:

barefeats
Feb 12, 2008, 01:28 AM
We were doing a comparison on our Mac Pro between Word 2004 and Word 2008. We have a 100 page file with one misspelled word at the very end. Word 2004 finds it in 5 sec. Word 2008 takes 21 sec. Also, when we first open the file, Word 2008 takes 13 seconds to cache the document before we can go to the last page. Word 2004? No delay.

I'm not planning to put Office 2008 on my MacBook Air. I might put Office 2004 on or iWork Pages or just use TextEdit.

dimme
Feb 13, 2008, 06:24 PM
I just tried office 208 on my MBP 2.4 running 10.5.2. I did a custom install of just word and excel. It is so slow it is unusable. I have been using office X and it is much faster. Am I missing something or what?

Spritey
Feb 13, 2008, 07:06 PM
I've started using Google Docs to actually write my papers, and Pages for editing and layout.

Then again, I'm just writing college papers and I have free wireless internet where ever I go.

SampleX
Feb 14, 2008, 05:04 AM
I'm actually wondering if the ridiculously low load speed on the Office 2008 Suite Applications has something to do with font activation.

I run Suitcase on my MacBookPro (don't all creatives?) and I notice that when Word 2008 is attempting to load (it takes it over a minute and a half on my machine - which has over 4000 fonts stored on it) Suitcase pops up a cautionary error which tells me that I have a font that 'might' be corrupt... When I check the error dialog to see which font it is (always the same one) it is listing a font in a directory that Suitcase has NOT been given to manage... in fact, it is a font in a directory which contains nothing but copied data from an old machine that I sent off for repair a while ago, and have not had time to reinstate yet. So something in Word is causing it to push Suitcase into activating fonts that I've never told Suitcase even exist.

No other application does this.

Right now Suitcase runs a 'standard' set of System fonts.

Now... I also noticed this, which reinforces my view on this...

When Word DOES eventually load, and the load time is something akind to what I might expect if an application were trying to load 4000+ typefaces... I can click ANY of the menus in Word 2008 and they come up straight away... the Word 2008 FONT menu, however, will not highlight immediately and just the act of hovering over it causes the little Apple ticking clock "I'm thinking about doing what you've asked..." icon as the mouse pointer... It takes in excess of 20 seconds for this menu to load and appear, AND I've got WYSIWYG font face menu display turned OFF, and Word has gained access to FAR MORE fonts than are activated in Suitcase or resident in the System Font folder...

This would appear to be the root of the problem... Office is cacheing more fonts than the system is offering as being 'activated'...

chrono1081
Feb 14, 2008, 05:09 AM
Ya Im not impressed with anything 2008. I switched to Open Office and I LOVE it. So far everything is 100% compatible and it hasnt crashed on me either.

SampleX
Feb 14, 2008, 05:24 AM
OK... a bit more...

Between them, Office and Apple's Font Book appear to have taken ALL the fonts on the computer, and inserted them into the System>Fonts folder.

So when Word activates, it is literally loading everything that Font Book has seen - and moved - by way of fonts.

I can find no way to deactivate or uninstall FontBook so that only Suitcase is in control...

Working on using my machine as a test solution to this hunch...

It seems that whenever Suitcase has loaded a font, FontBook has recognised it and somehow felt the need to keep it permanently in the System Fonts directory...

SampleX
Feb 14, 2008, 05:46 AM
Theory confirmed, resolution effected...

Right...

Here's how I fixed this problem, and bear in mind, Excel took over a minute to load before hand... Word took a minute and a half...

I use Suitcase, so in FontBook I deactivated EVERY option in the Preferences pertaining to 'automatic' activation. Now Suitcase controls ALL my fonts.

I moved all my Suitcase controlled fonts to a directory which was NOT named 'Fonts' (it was before) and called it instead 'Font Collections'

I deleted all my former font sets in suitcase and reloaded them from the new 'Font Collections' directory.

I went in to User>Library>Fonts and deleted every swine font in there, noticing that there were over 1400 that should NOT have been there (it appears to have been using FontBook which caused them to move there)...

Then I restarted the computer.

I did not open any more font applications, just let Suitcase do it's work with the basic 'system' font set from the computer system root directory and...

Word2008 loaded in less than 5-7 seconds. Excel loaded in 3 seconds.

Hopefully using Suitcase for all font management will KEEP the problem sorted, but until I prove otherwise, I'm as happy as a pig in mud because Office 2008 runs faster on my Mac than it does on my PC (which is the way it should be)...

I think if you start looking logically at fonts and how they are activated on your Mac, you'll be close to chasing a solution like I have...

ViperrepiV
Feb 14, 2008, 11:08 AM
Theory confirmed, resolution effected...

Right...

Here's how I fixed this problem, and bear in mind, Excel took over a minute to load before hand... Word took a minute and a half...

I use Suitcase, so in FontBook I deactivated EVERY option in the Preferences pertaining to 'automatic' activation. Now Suitcase controls ALL my fonts.

I moved all my Suitcase controlled fonts to a directory which was NOT named 'Fonts' (it was before) and called it instead 'Font Collections'

I deleted all my former font sets in suitcase and reloaded them from the new 'Font Collections' directory.

I went in to User>Library>Fonts and deleted every swine font in there, noticing that there were over 1400 that should NOT have been there (it appears to have been using FontBook which caused them to move there)...

Then I restarted the computer.

I did not open any more font applications, just let Suitcase do it's work with the basic 'system' font set from the computer system root directory and...

Word2008 loaded in less than 5-7 seconds. Excel loaded in 3 seconds.

Hopefully using Suitcase for all font management will KEEP the problem sorted, but until I prove otherwise, I'm as happy as a pig in mud because Office 2008 runs faster on my Mac than it does on my PC (which is the way it should be)...

I think if you start looking logically at fonts and how they are activated on your Mac, you'll be close to chasing a solution like I have...

I'm sorry that sounds like jibberish to me. i just loaded up office on my computer. what is this suitcase business?

skillwill
Feb 14, 2008, 12:12 PM
I don't understand this - my office 2008 works perfectly, and is much faster than 2004 - not that I have complaints about that, I just wonder why some people are having problems and some arn't

soLoredd
Feb 14, 2008, 12:22 PM
On my MB, Office 2008 has been great. It was 2004 that was slow and actually got me to buy iWork. Pages is fine for my needs but I do need Word on occasion. I don't encounter the delay when typing. And it opens in about 6-7 seconds, which is faster than 2004.

I also find it weird how Apple has very specific hardware and OS software but people encounter the most random, different issues. You can have someone with the same setup as mine and find they have tons of issues.

kanon14
Feb 14, 2008, 12:22 PM
If you really need to use MS Office (like I do) then I suggest you use use Fusion/Parallels and install XP+Office there. Runs much faster than that Office 08 crap.

SampleX
Feb 15, 2008, 07:18 AM
I'm sorry that sounds like jibberish to me. i just loaded up office on my computer. what is this suitcase business?

Sorry about that.

If you're not having issues with Office, then the quest for a solution is irrelevent.

If, however, it is causing you problems with long loading times and ridiculous delays in accessing the 'font' menu within the application, the solution I proposed is of a sound basis and has now been proven to work. I would also testify that just as Office 2008 is supposed to be testably faster than Office 2004 or Office X, on my system, it is, now that I've fixed the problem.

To give you background to the solution:

a font is a system-level file which specifies a typeface as I'm sure you know. An application may effectively 'cache' the available font files in order to access them for use within the application. This is no problem to application OR computer if you are running on just the standard stock of system fonts. This is why the solution I offered is probably exclusively relevent to the larger proportion of Mac users who are creatives.

Typically, creatives in the graphics/design field and publishing business and the like will be using a multiplicity of typefaces rather than the 'staple' stock fonts supplied with the Mac system and/or any applications that include custom fonts. This ALWAYS caused a problem because the more fonts you have the more system files the system has to cache, and the more font files the applications have to cache, especially problematic if you're using applications which show the name of the font IN the style of the font (WYSIWYG font menus - which is an option by default in Office 2008). The loading of multiple font files can cause long load times, clogged memory, crashed applications, and that's without worrying about whether the fonts are corrupt. In my experience, a corrupt font can bring a system crashing faster than bad RAM.

The solution to this problem, amongst the wealth of 'FontDoctor' type programs, was a font management solution. This is where applications like Extensis Suitcase Fusion come in to the mix. At the simplest level, instead of putting your fonts in the system fonts folder, you leave them in an easy to find directory, and then hand them to Suitcase. Suitcase keeps a log of where your fonts are, and can even check them to make sure they're not corrupt, and then, when you want to use a particular font (or font set) you can go to Suitcase and 'activate' just that one font, or more than one, or a whole set, and it temporarily makes the font available to the system with a single click, instead of moving fonts in and out of the system folder manually. Using this method you can preview and select the fonts you want to use without having hundreds or thousands of files clogging up your system.

Suitcase also includes 'plug ins' for popular apps like Illustrator, InDesign and Quark so that when you open a file which uses fonts that aren't in the system folder, Suitcase automatically finds and opens them in order for you to open and edit the document in question.

The only reason to have lots of fonts in the system fonts folder is because you intend to use lots of fonts. If you intend to use lots of fonts then you are probably a creative, and should get used to the idea of maintaining an efficient ship. System clag is no good when you just want to use fonts occasionally on a case by case basis. Using a font management tool is good housekeeping for the task in hand.

Now, part of the complication can be the incorporation of FontBook in the MacOS by Apple - their attempt to make the Mac system a one-stop creative powerhouse. Unfortunately FontBook, while having some useful features, is just not as flexible or powerful as Suitcase and one of the things that it appears to do is to take activated fonts and dump them in the system fonts folder for easy access, unless you tell it not to do so (in application preferences.) Even with Suitcase installed, there are a number of situations in which FontBook could be activated and start reorganising fonts, and in this case I found that either FontBook and Office 2008 between them, or FontBook and another application, had located a directory of archived fonts in a remote part of my hard drive, and just added the whole lot to the system's list of available fonts, including corrupt fonts and old fonts and stuff due for a clear out.

When Word is loading up, notice that it hovers for a while on 'optimising font menu' on the splash screen. You'll see from that just how the Mac OS and these Mac applications make font handling a priority. When I noticed that Word was taking a REALLY long time over this and was throwing up an attempt to make Suitcase activate a font that I had never loaded in to Suitcase, in a location that Suitcase should not have known about, I knew that fonts were at the root of my problems.

There are about 28 base System fonts in a Mac System, and with the extended fonts available on the typical system there should be no more than a couple of hundred or so available at system level at any one time. When I examined my user level fonts folder I had over 1200 fonts in there, all listed in FontBook, with Suitcase only recognising them because they had been moved to the system folder. In my case, this is the issue. When I removed everything that was not a system level font, deleted it all (which also took a bit of time for the system to sift) and then restarted the computer in order to clear the cached files, Word and Excel loaded in a flash.

It might not be everyone's solution because it might not apply to everyone in their font usage, but the fact remains that a recurrent problem, solved by a singular deliberate course of action, indicates that the solution was indeed on the right lines.

To check this on your machine, if you're having problems like I was having, just use the Finder to go to MacintoshHD>Library>Fonts and you should probably have 200-300 fonts in there as a file count. Now use the finder to go to your user account and look in Library>Fonts. In my case I had over 1200 in there. I can't see too many valid reasons why, if you're a single user on the machine and you use a font management tool, you should have ANY fonts in there at all, certainly not 1200. If you find you've got hundreds in there too, what I'd do is this... create a new folder on the desktop and call it something memorable like 'Archived Font Files' and drag all the fonts in User>Library>Fonts into the new Archive folder, so you've not lost them, just moved them, and can move them back if the solution is a no-go. Now, simply restart the machine, and when it has booted try running Word or Excel, and see if there's an improvement.

If there isn't, nothing lost, and move the fonts back where they were if you feel you need them. If it IS a solution, then you need to really think about whether you might want to invest in Extensis Suitcase (you can also download a trial of it and test to see if you think it does help solve your issue, and you can buy a serial number for the application in order to activate it during the demo period so as to avoid reinstalls), and if you do, just drag and drop the 'Archived Font Files' directory into the Suitcase application window, and you can now use Suitcase to switch the old fonts on and off at will, and even better, you can now preview the fonts too, really easily, using the same application, and even print tables of font samples to see how they look on paper.

SampleX
Feb 15, 2008, 07:22 AM
If you really need to use MS Office (like I do) then I suggest you use use Fusion/Parallels and install XP+Office there. Runs much faster than that Office 08 crap.

I'm not sure how making an efficient fix to allow Office 2008 to run as quickly as it was intended is somehow a more problematic solution to installing System Virtualisation software, loading a Windows OS, and running Office on Windows XP within a Windowed OS environment. Personally, I can spare the 10 seconds required to boot up an application, and I can't really see how Word can work any faster than I can type... By the example you give, you'd be just as well getting two computers and leaving Office on a PC...
A bit of time, a bit of care, a bit of good housekeeping, and I've got my Office 2008 running perfectly.

kanon14
Feb 15, 2008, 08:21 AM
I'm not sure how making an efficient fix to allow Office 2008 to run as quickly as it was intended is somehow a more problematic solution to installing System Virtualisation software, loading a Windows OS, and running Office on Windows XP within a Windowed OS environment. Personally, I can spare the 10 seconds required to boot up an application, and I can't really see how Word can work any faster than I can type... By the example you give, you'd be just as well getting two computers and leaving Office on a PC...
A bit of time, a bit of care, a bit of good housekeeping, and I've got my Office 2008 running perfectly.Of course I chose that route because I have a copy of Office 03 lying around and occasionally I need to use xp at work. The major issue I have with Office 08 is the marco compatibility in excel. And with all that problems added together I just don't think it's worth the money (I've already spent a lot on Air :p)

SampleX
Feb 15, 2008, 03:05 PM
Cool enough...

For me, I'm an avid Entourage and Word user, and while I'm sure Thunderbird and OpenOffice are perfectly viable, there's something about using the same suite as I use on the PC... Entourage is definately more stable and more reliable than it ever was for me before...

ViperrepiV
Feb 15, 2008, 03:27 PM
Sorry about that.

If you're not having issues with Office, then the quest for a solution is irrelevent.

If, however, it is causing you problems with long loading times and ridiculous delays in accessing the 'font' menu within the application, the solution I proposed is of a sound basis and has now been proven to work. I would also testify that just as Office 2008 is supposed to be testably faster than Office 2004 or Office X, on my system, it is, now that I've fixed the problem.

To give you background to the solution:

a font is a system-level file which specifies a typeface as I'm sure you know. An application may effectively 'cache' the available font files in order to access them for use within the application. This is no problem to application OR computer if you are running on just the standard stock of system fonts. This is why the solution I offered is probably exclusively relevent to the larger proportion of Mac users who are creatives.

Typically, creatives in the graphics/design field and publishing business and the like will be using a multiplicity of typefaces rather than the 'staple' stock fonts supplied with the Mac system and/or any applications that include custom fonts. This ALWAYS caused a problem because the more fonts you have the more system files the system has to cache, and the more font files the applications have to cache, especially problematic if you're using applications which show the name of the font IN the style of the font (WYSIWYG font menus - which is an option by default in Office 2008). The loading of multiple font files can cause long load times, clogged memory, crashed applications, and that's without worrying about whether the fonts are corrupt. In my experience, a corrupt font can bring a system crashing faster than bad RAM.

The solution to this problem, amongst the wealth of 'FontDoctor' type programs, was a font management solution. This is where applications like Extensis Suitcase Fusion come in to the mix. At the simplest level, instead of putting your fonts in the system fonts folder, you leave them in an easy to find directory, and then hand them to Suitcase. Suitcase keeps a log of where your fonts are, and can even check them to make sure they're not corrupt, and then, when you want to use a particular font (or font set) you can go to Suitcase and 'activate' just that one font, or more than one, or a whole set, and it temporarily makes the font available to the system with a single click, instead of moving fonts in and out of the system folder manually. Using this method you can preview and select the fonts you want to use without having hundreds or thousands of files clogging up your system.

Suitcase also includes 'plug ins' for popular apps like Illustrator, InDesign and Quark so that when you open a file which uses fonts that aren't in the system folder, Suitcase automatically finds and opens them in order for you to open and edit the document in question.

The only reason to have lots of fonts in the system fonts folder is because you intend to use lots of fonts. If you intend to use lots of fonts then you are probably a creative, and should get used to the idea of maintaining an efficient ship. System clag is no good when you just want to use fonts occasionally on a case by case basis. Using a font management tool is good housekeeping for the task in hand.

Now, part of the complication can be the incorporation of FontBook in the MacOS by Apple - their attempt to make the Mac system a one-stop creative powerhouse. Unfortunately FontBook, while having some useful features, is just not as flexible or powerful as Suitcase and one of the things that it appears to do is to take activated fonts and dump them in the system fonts folder for easy access, unless you tell it not to do so (in application preferences.) Even with Suitcase installed, there are a number of situations in which FontBook could be activated and start reorganising fonts, and in this case I found that either FontBook and Office 2008 between them, or FontBook and another application, had located a directory of archived fonts in a remote part of my hard drive, and just added the whole lot to the system's list of available fonts, including corrupt fonts and old fonts and stuff due for a clear out.

When Word is loading up, notice that it hovers for a while on 'optimising font menu' on the splash screen. You'll see from that just how the Mac OS and these Mac applications make font handling a priority. When I noticed that Word was taking a REALLY long time over this and was throwing up an attempt to make Suitcase activate a font that I had never loaded in to Suitcase, in a location that Suitcase should not have known about, I knew that fonts were at the root of my problems.

There are about 28 base System fonts in a Mac System, and with the extended fonts available on the typical system there should be no more than a couple of hundred or so available at system level at any one time. When I examined my user level fonts folder I had over 1200 fonts in there, all listed in FontBook, with Suitcase only recognising them because they had been moved to the system folder. In my case, this is the issue. When I removed everything that was not a system level font, deleted it all (which also took a bit of time for the system to sift) and then restarted the computer in order to clear the cached files, Word and Excel loaded in a flash.

It might not be everyone's solution because it might not apply to everyone in their font usage, but the fact remains that a recurrent problem, solved by a singular deliberate course of action, indicates that the solution was indeed on the right lines.

To check this on your machine, if you're having problems like I was having, just use the Finder to go to MacintoshHD>Library>Fonts and you should probably have 200-300 fonts in there as a file count. Now use the finder to go to your user account and look in Library>Fonts. In my case I had over 1200 in there. I can't see too many valid reasons why, if you're a single user on the machine and you use a font management tool, you should have ANY fonts in there at all, certainly not 1200. If you find you've got hundreds in there too, what I'd do is this... create a new folder on the desktop and call it something memorable like 'Archived Font Files' and drag all the fonts in User>Library>Fonts into the new Archive folder, so you've not lost them, just moved them, and can move them back if the solution is a no-go. Now, simply restart the machine, and when it has booted try running Word or Excel, and see if there's an improvement.

If there isn't, nothing lost, and move the fonts back where they were if you feel you need them. If it IS a solution, then you need to really think about whether you might want to invest in Extensis Suitcase (you can also download a trial of it and test to see if you think it does help solve your issue, and you can buy a serial number for the application in order to activate it during the demo period so as to avoid reinstalls), and if you do, just drag and drop the 'Archived Font Files' directory into the Suitcase application window, and you can now use Suitcase to switch the old fonts on and off at will, and even better, you can now preview the fonts too, really easily, using the same application, and even print tables of font samples to see how they look on paper.

Great, thank you for that thorough clarification!

brandon.vong
Feb 15, 2008, 03:39 PM
I just ordered a new MBP, so should I just get Office 2008 or use 2004 until the kinks are worked out?

dimme
Feb 15, 2008, 03:53 PM
I am giving up on Office 2008 and I will stick with Office X.
MBP 2.4

Clix Pix
Feb 15, 2008, 08:04 PM
After reading a lot of commentary -- especially the negative stuff -- about Office for the Mac 2008 I decided that now would be a good time to wean myself away from Entourage as my email client and to move into Mail. I'll keep Office for the Mac 2004 on the machines on which I already have it installed but just won't be buying 2008 and installing that. The MBA, with its smallish HD, doesn't need to be cluttered up with 2008, so I'm using iWork and Mail in it instead and so far am very happy.

weeman
Feb 16, 2008, 04:13 AM
I dont know if anyone else has this problem but I have set spaces so microsoft word opens in a specific window. Whenever I switch to a different spaces window, the microsoft word document travels to the window also (And yes, it is not set to open in "every space"). Also, whenever I enter expose mode, the microsoft word document does not highlight when the cursor is over it. Seems like powerpoint and excel work fine but word is giving me the most problems. Similar experiences anyone?

tastydesignboy
May 1, 2008, 06:53 AM
I'm actually wondering if the ridiculously low load speed on the Office 2008 Suite Applications has something to do with font activation.

I run Suitcase on my MacBookPro (don't all creatives?) and I notice that when Word 2008 is attempting to load (it takes it over a minute and a half on my machine - which has over 4000 fonts stored on it) Suitcase pops up a cautionary error which tells me that I have a font that 'might' be corrupt... When I check the error dialog to see which font it is (always the same one) it is listing a font in a directory that Suitcase has NOT been given to manage... in fact, it is a font in a directory which contains nothing but copied data from an old machine that I sent off for repair a while ago, and have not had time to reinstate yet. So something in Word is causing it to push Suitcase into activating fonts that I've never told Suitcase even exist.

No other application does this.

Right now Suitcase runs a 'standard' set of System fonts.

Now... I also noticed this, which reinforces my view on this...

When Word DOES eventually load, and the load time is something akind to what I might expect if an application were trying to load 4000+ typefaces... I can click ANY of the menus in Word 2008 and they come up straight away... the Word 2008 FONT menu, however, will not highlight immediately and just the act of hovering over it causes the little Apple ticking clock "I'm thinking about doing what you've asked..." icon as the mouse pointer... It takes in excess of 20 seconds for this menu to load and appear, AND I've got WYSIWYG font face menu display turned OFF, and Word has gained access to FAR MORE fonts than are activated in Suitcase or resident in the System Font folder...

This would appear to be the root of the problem... Office is cacheing more fonts than the system is offering as being 'activated'...

Hi, Just read this as I have the exact same issue but I dont use Suitcase, I use Linotypes free font explorer (which is basically just as good) and looked at the apple Font Book app prefs to, as you say, switch off the automatic stuff but in prefs there is only 1 check box for 'Validate fonts before installing' so I was wondering what you meant by automatic?

Thanks

hildegueden
May 1, 2008, 08:04 AM
My Microsoft Word 2008 is also slow on my MBA. Damn!! why do I have to use it?. Pages just doesn't satisfy my needs.

krye
May 1, 2008, 08:12 AM
Besides Windows, Office is the worst collection of code ever assembled by man.

dimme
May 1, 2008, 08:49 AM
I upgraded to Office 2004 on my MBP and I am also looking at Neooffice. I tried pages and it was not for me.

Consultant
May 1, 2008, 09:41 AM
I think if you start looking logically at fonts and how they are activated in MS Office 2008 for mac, you'll be close to chasing a solution like I have...

There. Fixed it for you.

Yes, I remember that other versions of Office loads takes longer to open on a Mac with more fonts.

However, note there are no major software on Mac that loads dramatically slowly due to fonts, so this is a MS Office problem.

Same here, I use iWork which is really fast however I use Office 2008 for compatibility sometimes. Launch times for Office 2008 are awful slow especially on Word. The Windows version (2007) launches the suite almost instantly, hmm, I wonder why??? I hate Microsoft. They just want to keep Mac users at home like a dutiful wife and not in the business world.

After first launch it's faster on Mac.

I believe in windows, MS does something similar to launching office (note starting windows takes much longer than getting OS X to a usable stage).

fuzzielitlpanda
May 5, 2008, 01:51 AM
phew i'm glad i'm not the only one who's experiencing slow load times on office 08. i thought it was because of the slow processor speed on the mba at first, but the app loads fairly quickly the 2nd time around.

Olvenskol
May 5, 2008, 10:33 AM
Stock MBA 1.6/80, Word 2008. Nothing special done with fonts. I have run Xslimmer, so plausibly Word fires up a little faster from cold start, but I have no idea tbh.

Double-clicking a one-page document immediately after cold boot: 20 seconds to load Word and get to the point where I could edit freely.

Quitting Word (not just closing the document) and redoing test: 4-5 seconds to load Word.

While it's definitely not snappy, these seem like reasonable times given the slower hard drive in the MBA.

If your times are way off from this, maybe there is something interesting to discover.

elppa
May 5, 2008, 02:59 PM
I decided that now would be a good time to wean myself away from Entourage as my email client and to move into Mail. So I'm using iWork and Mail in it instead and so far am very happy.

Good decision, Mail is indeed excellent.

aussieinrome
May 5, 2008, 05:29 PM
How can just a text editor be such a dog - I mean Word is just a text editor, WTF???

n0de
May 6, 2008, 07:19 AM
I still can't seem to get it under 20 seconds.

I have parsed through my fonts, now I am down to 169. I have turned off all of the automatic stuff in Fontbook and uninstalled Linotype Font Explorer. I have no user level fonts, I have them all in system....

I have CS2 installed also, could there be something with it?

Seth Hawkins
May 6, 2008, 07:42 AM
I was using Excel and Word (2008) last night without any problems. Both seemed to run "normal" - no lag, no crashes. Word does take a little longer to load than the rest of my apps, but I wouldn't say that it takes "a long time" to load.

imonn
May 6, 2008, 12:33 PM
HI:
Every time I open Excel, Powerpoint or Word in Office 2008 it wants to verify every single font in my library. It takes forever. How can this feature be disabled? I can't find anything in my preferences. I'm on Leopard.

Thanks.

jjahshik32
May 6, 2008, 04:19 PM
yea the newer version seems to be a bit slower than the older 2004 version. I actually prefer the 2004 version even with all the updates (on both sides).

imonn
May 7, 2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks, everyone for your advice regarding the ridiculous load time and font issues with Office. I really appreciate it and will try your solutions today.

bart rijksen
May 7, 2008, 11:23 AM
Word 2008 is sooooo slow. It's unbelievable. It takes about half a minute, to open a one page document! on a MBP 2.5Ghz, Penryn 15"
Totally ridiculous! Microsoft really made this a bs program

MacAodh
May 7, 2008, 11:36 AM
There all slow on the mac, open office, iwork and word. If you compare to windows where they open far quicker. The fastest I've found is NeoOffice however Open Office has got allot faster with there new beta

bart rijksen
May 7, 2008, 12:38 PM
There all slow on the mac, open office, iwork and word. If you compare to windows where they open far quicker. The fastest I've found is NeoOffice however Open Office has got allot faster with there new beta

I think i'll just stick to office 2004, can't stand slow computers. They really piss me off. But, i'll see, and i'll try the font thing.

EMAGDNIM
May 8, 2008, 09:14 PM
I don't understand this - my office 2008 works perfectly, and is much faster than 2004 - not that I have complaints about that, I just wonder why some people are having problems and some arn't

It seems odd to me. I recently got the latest Word and it works fine for me (MBP)...

dukebound85
May 8, 2008, 09:16 PM
the time it takes for me to click icon to being able to type is less than 4 seconds for word and even quicker for ppt and excel

seems fast to me

then again i have a 2.91ghz quad and 4 gig ram machine

EdLee
May 9, 2008, 10:51 AM
Just turn off WYSIWYG fonts in Office Preferences. Speeds things right up.

glitch44
May 9, 2008, 11:38 AM
just thought i'd mention that OpenOffice has a new universal beta (http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/) which eliminates the need for x11.

happylau
May 14, 2008, 01:49 PM
I don't know why people say Microsoft hates Mac and want to see them die!
They're software developers and they're just being clever about getting into every OS possible. If it's Mac OS they don't care, they're selling another product and they'll make it good so people don't switch to iWork '08.
There will always be Mac lovers (my case) and Microsoft lovers, but MS is getting into both worlds. Pretty clever actually.
I think MS Office 08 is a decent program. Not as smooth as Apple programs but not as awful as people say.
Keeping in mind that I love Mac software and hardware!!!

nobackup
May 14, 2008, 03:54 PM
just thought i'd mention that OpenOffice has a new universal beta (http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/) which eliminates the need for x11.

unfortunately a lot of the guys at work use OLE to imbed things in documents which openoffice does not support.. :(

David2070
May 14, 2008, 04:00 PM
I'm running Word 2008 on a Core Duo iMac and the speed is excellent. I've just installed the latest SP and Word has speeded up significantly.

I've not had to make any changes to fonts etc., just using a plain install.

I'm still on Tiger (10.4.11) though. Don't know if that makes it faster/more reliable than Leopard?

johnnyhow
May 21, 2008, 05:18 AM
VMware fusion + MS office 2007. Works a treat on my macbook

w00tini
May 21, 2008, 09:07 AM
i have not had any issues with Word 2008. Either the original or SP1. Works like a champ. I actually really like the latest Office. I use it for work and school at its been great.

i0Nic
May 21, 2008, 09:32 AM
VMware fusion + MS office 2007. Works a treat on my macbook
This is gonna be a mega noob question regarding Fusion as I've never used windows on my mac before.. but anyways, with Fusion and running Office 2007, when you save a word file can you save it to the Mac partition of the hard drive? Basically save it to the Mac desktop just like you would if you were running Mac Office 08?

cheers

dimme
May 21, 2008, 11:30 PM
Yes
Just set up a shared drive in windows. You can make it your desktop if you like.

juro
May 23, 2008, 09:11 AM
Well, I finally uninstalled Office 2008 and installed my old Office 2004 - what do you know - the older version is so much faster. And I mean extremely faster!

You would think Office 2004 will be slower as its not a universal app and will need to be accessing Rosetta to decode it, but no.

So to all those having slow issues with Office 2008, I suggest you dust off your 2004 and give that a go instead.

n0de
May 23, 2008, 11:53 AM
Even after the 12.1 update, it is still very slow.

I also get this error over and over again (1000's of times) in the system log:
"5/23/08 12:10:38 PM Microsoft Word[245] Error CGBitmapContextGetData: invalid context "

mpeters13
Sep 4, 2008, 10:11 PM
Just turn off WYSIWYG fonts in Office Preferences. Speeds things right up.

Old topic, I know. But I wanted to thank you for this suggestion. It sped up the application start time dramatically. I will have to see if this helps my issue with saving as well. I don't know if anyone else experiences random lockups of the applications while auto-saving?

NC MacGuy
Sep 5, 2008, 09:37 AM
Old topic, I know. But I wanted to thank you for this suggestion. It sped up the application start time dramatically. I will have to see if this helps my issue with saving as well. I don't know if anyone else experiences random lockups of the applications while auto-saving?

I did. Drove me batty enough to revert to Office 2004 which I haven't regretted on little bit!;)

Insulin Junkie
Sep 5, 2008, 09:49 AM
Agree... Office '08 runs terribly slow... it doesn't even keep up with my typing. I uninstalled it and downloaded NeoOffice instead.

Mikebuzzsaw
Sep 5, 2008, 12:53 PM
office 2008 is really buggy and is horrribblee with spaces.

hogfaninga
Sep 5, 2008, 12:55 PM
I decided against getting Office 2008 for Mac and just bought the regular MS Office 2007. I run it on Vista Home Premium in bootcamp and I haven't had any problems.

NC MacGuy
Sep 5, 2008, 01:19 PM
I decided against getting Office 2008 for Mac and just bought the regular MS Office 2007. I run it on Vista Home Premium in bootcamp and I haven't had any problems.

Mac 2004 version is pretty good too, really. If you want a usable Mac version, I'm just sayin'....;)

ScottFitz
Sep 5, 2008, 11:22 PM
I have 04 Office mac and the latest apple works. I still prefer the old office. I'm just to used to the office way of doing things. Plus, I get tired of having to export my numbers spreadsheets into XLS format. Might as well stick with office. I also see zero need to upgrade to the Office 08. Especially now that I'm reading this thread.

eXan
Sep 6, 2008, 02:22 AM
Yea, Office 08 runs like cr ap on my MacBook. Office 2004 is laggy at times, but on my iMac G5 the 04 version runs really fast!.

I use Pages most of the time, so I don't really care, unless I have to do a lot of file sharing with my Office-using friends.

G-Force
Sep 6, 2008, 08:33 AM
The latest update has made my Word 2008 much faster (cold start: 8 bounces versus 18 sometimes) on both my iMac and MacBook. :)

Cheffy Dave
Sep 6, 2008, 01:08 PM

Don't know. but I have 4 GB of Ram, and it takes 30 seconds to open Word I was told it had something to do with word loading all the fonts when it opens, so I went with minimalist selections of fonts, and it made no difference:mad:
Crap/bloatware was why I went to the Mac, so now I'm using Neo Office and loving it. Buh Bye forever MS!:D

Mikebuzzsaw
Sep 8, 2008, 02:15 AM
Wish they could push out more updates for word.

Bakey
Sep 8, 2008, 07:45 AM
I run Suitcase on my MacBookPro (don't all creatives?)

No they don't! :rolleyes:

duncanapple
Sep 8, 2008, 01:38 PM
I agree with all of the above. I have Mac Office 2004 and would have been perfectly content with not upgrading, but I thought, owning an intel mac, that 08 would be a smart move b/c it would run faster and be more compatible with the .xdoc (.xxls, etc) formats. I know there are converters but I figured what the heck.

It ended up running much slower than 04 (even after all the latest updates) and the big gripe (as I share one of my three licenses to my brother who is still in college, and another with my gf who is working on an MBA) is that excel doesn't have the analysis tool pack. What a load! Most people don't use this, sure. But most STUDENTS (and I have the student edition) DO and leaving it out is unacceptable seeing that 04 had it. I also understand the concept of if you dont like it dont buy it, but who could have known that without first buying it, opening it, and using it. Sorta hard to return it after you install it. :rolleyes:

chatuchak
Sep 11, 2008, 02:46 AM

I just started using Word myself on MBA a few days ago, noticed exactly the same thing... Even if the auto-check is off, the letters still appear a bit slow.

pooja-53
Jan 16, 2009, 08:03 AM
Yes Word 2008 for Mac is awful, a real pain and almost unusable. I hate it now and desperate to find soemthing else. I am thinking I will move to iWork. I wish I understood why it was so bad though. It also takes nearly 1 minute to save a new file. Exasperating! Perhaps someone can explain it to me. :D

davidwarren
Jan 16, 2009, 08:14 AM
Yes Word 2008 for Mac is awful, a real pain and almost unusable. I hate it now and desperate to find soemthing else. I am thinking I will move to iWork. I wish I understood why it was so bad though. It also takes nearly 1 minute to save a new file. Exasperating! Perhaps someone can explain it to me. :D

Yeah, I actually have found it's performance worse now that it has been updated a few times.

dimme
Jan 16, 2009, 10:29 AM
I had office 2008 on my MBP 2.4. At first it was dead slow, then after a few reinstalls it seemed alittle faster. Now 2 months later it is unusable. So I dumped it and now it back to word 2004.

coupdetat
Jan 16, 2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah... Office 2008 is kind of a dog. Try opening some large Excel files with it, that is a truly painful experience! In comparison, 2004 under Rosetta is much better but still gets smoked by a P3 running Office 2003 :mad:

I would start some conspiracy theory about MS crippling the OSX versions, but Numbers is even worse. Not sure why we Mac users get shafted when it comes to productivity software, but at least we have Pages and KeyNote which are top notch.

dimme
Jan 16, 2009, 10:56 AM
I looked at iWork and the one problem I have with the package is the file format. Try to upload a numbers doc to box.net and it turnes into so odd package file. Doc & XLS have become "standards" and with those formats I feel I can open those documents for years to come. Weather it is with MS office or a open office alternative. Also the fact that pages does nor password protect files is a deal breaker.

jackiecanev2
Jan 16, 2009, 11:15 AM
I had the same problem with office for the longest time, and then I updated to the latest release (2 or 3 releases had occurred since my initial install) and now it is MUCH faster, launches to a new document in less than 3 seconds on both my MBA and my MBP.

kaku945
Jan 16, 2009, 11:39 AM
works perfect for me... though crashed twice in 2 months... but i bet it would have crashed more frequently in other operating systems...

boonchunt
Jan 18, 2009, 03:39 AM
can go for iwork alrd.....

holden57
Aug 24, 2009, 04:16 PM
I seem to have a problem with a typing lag, and with slow start-up times (although not as bad as many people here are reporting).

benthewraith
Nov 25, 2009, 10:20 AM
Upon updating to Snow Leopard I have noticed Word 2008's speed has improved. However I did not install it the conventional way. I installed Word 2008 via Time Machine, and it seems to have improved. I've noticed that the fonts Microsoft Office typically includes in Font Book aren't there, meaning I can't use Cambria/Calibri in Pages (which I make my default font as I'm not big on Helvetica). However, the speed in Word seems to be a lot faster. There is no typing lag at all other than the first keystroke when opening up Word or if I cmd-tab out and come back. It then returns to normal.

antonioanmar
Nov 25, 2009, 11:06 AM
Office is very slow in all the Mac computers, because the Mac version is not well optimized.
I have been using it in my MBA, also in my Unibody Aluminium MacBook (with 4 Gb of RAM) and also on my office iMac, and in all of them it is slower than iWork.
Now, i always use iWork. For my own use i use it, when i receive some documents from other people i open them with iWork, and when i need to send any document to somebody i save it like Office (Excel or Word).
I have the configuration to open all the Excel and Word files directly with Numbers and Pages :p

MultiFinder17
Nov 25, 2009, 12:12 PM
I've been using iWork for years - it's fast, cheaper than Office, and many of the features that its apps offer are really quite nice.

"A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard"

gordon.freeman
Sep 1, 2010, 10:36 AM
This helped me very much:

- Turn off the "Show all nonprinting characters" (on the standard toolbar).

Word 2008 was very slow whenever I used "scroll" on the pages. After turning that thing off, it speedup up.