PDA

View Full Version : iMac G4 fan broken, help! (?)

R0ck1t
Feb 11, 2008, 02:18 PM
So my trusty old iMac (spec below) almost manages to make it to it's 5th birthday and it overheats.

It seems the fan has given up, and whilst opening it to clean it of dust (Before I figured out the fan had gone), My grip slipped and now the screen is a few degrees wonky.

Now I don't have a warranty (Who still would) and I'm a student so I'm skint and can't get a new one, or take it to apple and pay them through the roof for repairs.

Does anyone have any tips, hints, advice on how to fix, mainly the fan problem, and how I could go about it. I have found a good mod that shows how to attach an external fan but I don't want to scar my mac.
I would love to know what sort of fan (Size etc) it is and how tricky it is to get to it and replace it.
All of your help and advice is greatly appreciated and I haven't checked the display forum yet so I'll pop over there now.

Cheers.

iMac G4 (17") Mac OS X (10.4.11) 1GHz Processor, 1GB Ram, USB 1.1

ArtTechFreak
Feb 11, 2008, 02:55 PM
Here is a link to a page that shows how to take apart your iMac:

http://xlr8yourmac.com/systems/iMac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html

The fan appears to be towards the top of the case; it appears that your machine is one of the round iMacs. Once you remove the fan, you should be able to identify the type of fan.

Replacement fans can be obtained from:

allelectronics.com
digikey.com

Feel free to send me a Private Message if you need help in ID'ing and obtaining the fan.

ATF

R0ck1t
Feb 11, 2008, 05:04 PM
Cheers,

I'll leave it until the weekend because it looks like a job that needs some time and concentration. I'll post back, If I don't break it, when I've removed the fan or replaced it.