Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drunkhobo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
***before you read this I just want to let you know i know nothing about computers***

Ok, here is the problem I have a Compaq Presario S4010CL and it came with "2" 256mb memory circuit board things and I bought "2" 512mb to replace them. I figured that was the problem to the 5fps while playing WOW, but it didnt make a difference. So I was thinking about buying a new Video Card for it but I have no clue what one I need and which would increase my FPS the most w/o costing me alot. Also i read on the website that WOW requires Intel Pentium® III 800 MHz or AMD Athlon 800 MHz and i have Intel Celeron.. could that be the problem??? If anyone has any other things I can do to increase it i'd appreciate it alot! Thanks

here is a link to my PC: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&cc=br&dlc=pt&product=339956#

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Dude,

What are you doing posting on the MacRumors website with this question? This board is for Apple users and your computer isn't made by Apple.

That said and even though I don't know too much about computers myself, I will give you what advice I can. First, go to your WoW video setting in game and turn them down low. You probably have already done that, but if you haven't and they are set relatively high, that alone will solve your problems. The "distance" or field of vision setting seems to make the most difference to me. The game won't be as pretty, but it will run much faster.

You are right that a graphics card would be a big help, but the problem with a Celeron processor is that it uses an integrated graphics card. Makes it cheaper, but it makes it weaker at games. So I would guess that you can't just add a decent card to it. But, frankly, I'm kind of just guessing here. I have only owned Macs for the last 10 years and the Celeron is a PC/Windows processor. So maybe you can somehow.

How fast is your computer anyway? I couldn't tell by looking at your link, but if it is a relatively new computer and if its speed is over 2 GHz, then there should be a solution. Maybe you need to update your video drivers or your operating system. Sometimes the programmers improve the performance of the machine with the latest drivers.

Memory helps many thinks, but not so much frames per second. It didn't help you with WOW, but you won't regret adding it.

drunkhobo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
ya i know my computer is a crappy windows i hate windows but its all i got and i turned down the settings already and it didn't help at all this computer is like 2004 or something close to that its old.. it was a Sams choice special lol. I herd the celeron processor sucks. I have charter DSL internet and the computer has a 2.4 GHz intel celeron processor/0.99g of ram/60g ultra DMA hard drive.

My uncle is going to boot my computer and remove all of my programs off of it and reload it with windows XP or vista so it would be like brand new... what better tho vista or XP for gameing. Also does limewire slow down computers??

And how do i update my computer's video drivers/system

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
that system is not going to run wow at all but a simple GPU upgrade to even a radion 9600 AGP would make a lot of difference and is the optimal for your computer without your cpu bottlenecking any newer GPU's if its pci express go find something like a radion X300 X1300 X2200 or similer. just any cheep $10 - $45 Graphics card will make a big diffrence wow is not demanding. I recommend you go to Xbitlabs and ask in there forums there really friendly.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Dude...

A celeron from 2004 is not going to run WoW well. Period.

If you add another GB of RAM (assuming the machine can take it), and a 9600 video card (AGP), you will be able to get 10-15fps, less in the cities. You may get into the 20s if you are hunting in mostly empty areas. The game can be played that way, very carefully, no instances. Doing this will likely cost $80-$200 depending on where you get the parts.

For $949 you can get a refurb MacBook which will play WoW beautifully.

drunkhobo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
If only i had $949 for a new computer but im not that into gaming to buy a new computer. My computer is already maxed out at 1g of RAM so i think ill just try to get a new Video Card.

But is the higher the number the better for the Video card?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
If you can put a graphics card in there, like the above poster said, I'm sure that will solve your problem. You will have to keep the settings on low, but FPS will be much higher than what you get now and you will be able to run instances, though maybe not 25-man raids. I'm running WoW on a Macbook and I only get about 20 FPS, but I find that fine. I know there are people out there who think you need 50 FPS or it is unplayable, but I think they are being snobs and little princesses. Also the FPS go way up if I go indoors, which is where a lot of instances happen anyway.

Anyway, cheap graphics card is your solution.

Generally speaking, XP will tax your CP less than Vista. So I would think with an old, cheap computer you shouldn't try to do Vista.

crkfc

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2003
first, follow this guide to see if you have an AGP or PCI slot. then go to newegg.com or tigerdirect and look for a good cheap video card. you could easily spend well under 100 bucks and make wow playable. look for something from nvidia or ATI. something with at least 128MB of VRAM. make sure you get the right kind of card though. AGP or PCI(E)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.