Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
This was one of the first iPod Touches to ship out, constructed back in the final week of September.

Shipped out via airplane during a typhoon from China, it endured the trip to make it here.

5 months later, I present you a well aged iPod Touch, 16GB.

2259122613_54f2e7d279.jpg

2259927764_fb5d5864a4.jpg

2259131083_03aac536a0.jpg

The only thing that doesn't pull through is the back.

This iPod was protected by itself. There was never any form of protectant case on this iPod, ever. No ugly plastics, leather to get in the way, bunny ears, whatever. I actively tried to keep my keys out of that pocket. It occasionally lived with change and a cell phone. It lived with me laying on it on the floor on more than a few locations. It has gone with me almost every day through university, and on 9 out of every 10 car trips.

For those who are afraid of ruining the screen, you won't. If you want one, get one!

To see the pictures in FULL quality, please click here.

Got one of the first? Please, post pictures!

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
Nice, I was waiting for a thread like this to pop up.

The moment I bought my touch I used like a towel to hold the touch into place of my case, and I haven't taken it out of the case since. Right now my screen protecter has a bubble of air in the side that is annoying but doesn't bother me when the touch is on. I think the back and sides and top and screen are spotless and will remain so for quite some time. It is really a durable device.

Just please, you people wanting no dead pixels, I'm sorry but you would be really lucky to not have any.

radpanic

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
wow, great to know. I have been babying my new iPT until my Invisible Shield gets here. I wish I could be more carefree like yourself.:D

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Agreed. Week 36 here, and have been walking around with it in my pocket, unprotected, ever since. The back has character lines to be sure (and for the record I've never much cared about that), but the glass is pristine.

I don't keep my keys in the same pocket, of course, but it seems quite tough.

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
Agreed. Week 36 here, and have been walking around with it in my pocket, unprotected, ever since. The back has character lines to be sure (and for the record I've never much cared about that), but the glass is pristine.

I don't keep my keys in the same pocket, of course, but it seems quite tough.

My keys, more often than not, will end up in the same pocket as my iPod out of habit. Invisible shield has probably saved me more than a dozen times. :p

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Just don't get to confident in how tough the screen is. There are numerous posts in all the iPhone forums where people have managed to scratch their screen. It can happen.

darkblu

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
that was a good field test. it proves once again that the screen of the touch is not its weak side. for the record, i managed to scratch the back of mine in the two days between the unit's unpacking and the arrival of its cozip polycarbonate back shell (originally planned to get a rugged case but eventually went with cozip slim shell). funny thing is that i was being quite careful during that time, but made the mistake to let it slide an inch while laying back-down on the top surface of a plastic dvd cover - you know, that soft nylon one.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
The screen is very durable, but not scratch proof. My boss has one that has a nasty scratch across the front. Mine has a shield over the top so it is flawless. Don't get cocky, it can and will scratch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.