Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
you guys are waiting eagerly? whats the big deal about it?
:apple:tv does what's it designed for "perfectly"...stream your itunes lib to your living room...

now all this waiting is for what? movie rentals?...you guys dont have cable tv? movies on demand? PPV? or something?

or is there something else coming with this new update that I dont know about?:confused:

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
:apple:tv does what's it designed for "perfectly"...stream your itunes lib to your living room...

now all this waiting is for what? movie rentals?...you guys dont have cable tv? movies on demand? PPV? or something?

or is there something else coming with this new update that I dont know about?:confused:

For me it is movie rentals, especially HD rentals. I got rid of my mini for an apple TV after the rental announcement (I wasn't fully utilizing my mini) and have been holding off some Unbox rentals (which don't look particularly great) for these rentals.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003

For me, it is the support for 5.1 audio. As soon as this update is released, Handbrake will be updated so that I can rip/encode all of my DVDs to enjoy streaming movies from my Mac Pro in beautiful discrete surround sound.

The rentals are nice too (but I may not use that feature all that much).

Hickman

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
Apple fanboyism. Waiting for Apple updates has become a mass psychotic addiction.

hualon

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Nope, just the free over-the-air HD feeds from my local stations.

Seconded! It's amazing how much BETTER the over-the-air channels are, isn't it? Every time I've seen my buddy's HD cable or HD satellite I am just appalled at the difference in quality.

I'm looking forward to the update because I'm hoping desperately that I'll be able to sort my own movies in some other fashion than an alphabetical list. I REALLY want to be able to sort by genre, year, etc. ON the TV. If not that then maybe movie playlists? I'm hoping for SOME mechanism to better sort the content.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Apple fanboyism. Waiting for Apple updates has become a mass psychotic addiction.

Ahem.

I think the key for me is that it downloads right to the Apple TV, no need to sync with a computer. You just set it up, and off it goes. The appeal of never having to leave my couch is a big one.

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
For me, it is the support for 5.1 audio. As soon as this update is released, Handbrake will be updated so that I can rip/encode all of my DVDs to enjoy streaming movies from my Mac Pro in beautiful discrete surround sound.

All about the 5.1 for me.

aha! see..I didnt know about this one....is it confirmed or just speculation?
if its really coming...then add me to the camper list....:eek:

oh wait...does that mean...i'll have to re-encode all my .mkv files???....
ohhh helll noooo....:mad:

JW008

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005

Hickman

So the current Handbrake Apple TV settings that include 5.1 won't work on the Take 2 software, or is this just a guess?

kbunch

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2007
Tucson, AZ
It is rentals for me. I bought it just to take advantage of this! I love the idea of renting directly from the :apple:TV. I no longer have to go out to the video store or have to remember to return them! I hate the netflix service, i never know what I want to watch or when I am going to watch it. I have an 18 month old daughter and there are many nights that after putting her down for bed my wife and I are too tired to really do anything except snuggle up on the couch to watch a movie. We do not know when that mood will strike us. So it will be great to instantly get HD movie rentals.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005

Agreed. I was ecstatic when Apple released 10.5.2

I think one reason why this is a big deal is that Apple could possible update ATV to the leopard os (currently based off of tiger). There are some major enhancements with core graphics, etc with leopard.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
So the current Handbrake Apple TV settings that include 5.1 won't work on the Take 2 software, or is this just a guess?

Just a guess right now. Won't really know until Take 2 is available. It might just be changing the settings and creating a new "Apple TV" profile.

But, I am not encoding anything else until Take 2 is out.

Hickman

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Couldn't agree more - until it can do all the things a TiVo can do, I won't be buying one anytime soon!

As someone who has a TiVo, I can somewhat agree. However, I can see the appeal of the Apple TV. Currently a TiVo can only play video from your Mac or PC that is either a .TiVo file or an MPEG2 file; The Apple TV plays MPEG1, MPEG4, and H.264. Currently a TiVo can only play MP3s from your computer; an Apple TV can play all the music in your library. A TiVo can view images from your computer or Y!Photos (and soon Flikr); the Apple TV can view photos from you computer or Y!Photos. The TiVo can get movies from Amazon UnBox (sometimes free or $.99 movies are available), which can be deleted an redownloaded if purchased; Apple TV can rent or purchase movies from the iTunes Store (and need to be backed up to a computer). UnBox Movies are in SD; Apple TV movies are available to rent in HD. The TiVo is ment to be a DVR; The Apple TV is ment to be a set-top box.

Personally, I have rented content from both Amazon and iTunes (watching the latter on my TV via my iPhone), I'm torn between the two services. The biggest advantage for the TiVo is the ability to record and transfer from, but the Apple TV has better use of your existing library. Really they are in two different worlds, and they should always remain in two different worlds (Unless Apple buys a portion of TiVo and integrated the Apple TV features into the software).

TEG

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Seconded! It's amazing how much BETTER the over-the-air channels are, isn't it? Every time I've seen my buddy's HD cable or HD satellite I am just appalled at the difference in quality.

I'm looking forward to the update because I'm hoping desperately that I'll be able to sort my own movies in some other fashion than an alphabetical list. I REALLY want to be able to sort by genre, year, etc. ON the TV. If not that then maybe movie playlists? I'm hoping for SOME mechanism to better sort the content.

Having seen a demo of the new software I will have to disappoint you. All we get is this alphabetical list....

The browse by genre option is only for the iTunes Movie Store, not for your own movies

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Actually the new update (apart from rentals) brings Dolby Digital Support (hopefully) and thats the only real feature that's new

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007

Hickman

This is not accurate. The people over at Handbrake do not expect to be able to add 5.1 because AC-3 cannot be embedded in a m4v file. They were hoping Apple would use AAC-5.1 and have the Apple TV transcode to AC-3 on the fly, but that does not appear to be the case. You never know what Apple will do, but do not aspect anything from Handbrake. The newest feature they are adding is Anamorphic encodes to iPod files (similar to what Apple and Visual Hub are doing now)

hualon

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Having seen a demo of the new software I will have to disappoint you. All we get is this alphabetical list....

The browse by genre option is only for the iTunes Movie Store, not for your own movies

scheiße.

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
Agreed. I was ecstatic when Apple released 10.5.2

Ah. I would not be surprised if Apple software updates will soon be considered either illegal or controlled activities: "Do not update and drive"; "Please update responsibly" :D

ankushpatel

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005
its not just an update to me

the update overall updates the stability of apple tv and it fixed bugs which were present on the old version. I found that on my tv the apple tv was more responsive and alot more clear. The 5.1 is a great addition to the apple tv. Movie rentals, yes i have on ppv or cable but apple offers a wider range of selections and also most movies on cable ppv or dish cost around 3.99 and most are not even codded in 5.1 audio. I like the idea of playing songs from a computer to a apple tv, this is an amazing addition for me because we have alot of parties and im having to go to the apple tv while the party is going on and change the song using the remote. Now i can just sit in my room and dj from itunes (im hoping 3rd party software will let me use other applications soon). The overall look is alot better along with the clear cut ease of the menu's. Remember this is only 2.0 imagine the next update? some say the usb on the back shows no connection to diagnostic use...? who knows what apple has in stock. But for those who say they are not upgrading idk why you would not want to! Its a better apple tv and a better user-friendly machine full of new features.

kfordham281

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
The ability to get content directly from the AppleTV is pretty slick. Downloading a new podcast to watch can be done from your sofa instead of your desk chair. I've already update to software version 2 and so far I like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.