PDA

View Full Version : Student Developers Panther

stromie952
Oct 24, 2003, 08:34 PM
I am a student developer and I was wondering if anybody knew when our copy of Panther would be coming in the mail.

As fun as it is to wait without knowing, it would be kind of nice if someone knew what was happening so I don't have to wait in the dark.

;)

davetrow1997
Oct 24, 2003, 08:43 PM
It shipped on 23 October.

"Worldwide shipments were sent via DHL Worldmail and should arrive in approximatedly 3-10 business days."

bousozoku
Oct 24, 2003, 09:10 PM
Someone doesn't read his e-mail. ;)

This is the first year I've gotten a package that wasn't nearly a month after the retail version had been released. :)

davetrow1997
Oct 24, 2003, 10:16 PM
I'm just tickled to be getting a 'free' copy. Student developer memberships rock. I wonder if all the students on the forum are aware of the benefits...

So far for me, a free copy of Jaguar, Panther (soon) and a $500 discount on a computer.. seems pretty worth a paltry $99.

stromie952
Oct 25, 2003, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I haven't gotten any email confirmation on that shipment yet.

I didn't even know if we got it for sure until you guys said it was already shipped.

Well, at least I know its on the way now!

bousozoku
Oct 25, 2003, 01:38 AM
If you haven't gotten an e-mail, you should check to make certain that the membership is active and your information is correct.

You wouldn't want to delay things. If you have pending assets, it may be that you haven't provided them details such as i.d. and current class schedule.

stromie952
Oct 25, 2003, 02:19 AM
It should still be active because I have been receiving the monthly shipments. So, we will find out what happens.

I'll report back as to what happens

raiderz182
Oct 25, 2003, 03:44 AM
hold on... what!!! student developers discount?? :0 what is that!?

Nermal
Oct 25, 2003, 04:31 AM
No student discount in NZ :(

CrackedButter
Oct 25, 2003, 06:51 AM
I asked about ADC and was told students don't get a free copy, but somehow you do? What gives?

davetrow1997
Oct 25, 2003, 03:25 PM
http://developer.apple.com/students/

How To Enroll

After agreeing to the Terms and Conditions, you must identify yourself as a student, fill in your student identification number, and write in your School Name on the "Your Information" page. To be eligible for the ADC Student Program, you must be currently enrolled as a part-time or full-time student at a college or university, have a student identification number, and be at least 18 years of age.
Please note that the Apple Developer Connection must verify student status before we can fully activate an ADC Student membership.

---------------------------------------------

* As far as I know (from the email I got) a full set of install discs for Panther -is- mailed to student developers. *

The student developer is nice.. one 20% discount on a full system, including anything Apple-branded you buy at the same time. Like I said, saved me $500 on a system.. well worth the price to sign up.

nokq
Oct 25, 2003, 05:18 PM
Damn am I happy I read this thread. I am a member of the Apple Student Developer program too. Unfortunatly I've neglected it over the summer, not changing my Address Information. Well I only changed it Friday, the 24th. Just a hair away from 23rd mailing. Most likely my Panther was mailed to the wrong location. I just completed however a change of address form online at usps.com . It cost a dollar and goes into effect today. If it works, my copy of panther should be forwarded to me. Kind of crazy isnt it? Lets pray it works. Note: I just called DHL and a representative confirmed to me that the Worldmail mailings are handed off to the USPS for final delivery.

stromie952
Oct 25, 2003, 07:53 PM
I just got the November mailing email today despite the fact that it was sent to me on Thursday. I have no idea why, but at least it is now confirmed to me that I am still on the list and will be ready to rock in a few days.

bousozoku
Oct 25, 2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by stromie952
I just got the November mailing email today despite the fact that it was sent to me on Thursday. I have no idea why, but at least it is now confirmed to me that I am still on the list and will be ready to rock in a few days.

Kewl. I expect by Wednesday most of us will have the packages and we'll know what's a problem because of all these people who installed it first. ;)

stromie952
Oct 25, 2003, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I've run about 6 or so of the betas that were around and I have had minimal problems. I did have the external hard drive problem, but it was easily fixed with DiskWarrior. Other than that, it has been fantastic. I can't wait for my copy to get here so I can use the finalized version!

Fahd
Oct 28, 2003, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by davetrow1997
I'm just tickled to be getting a 'free' copy. Student developer memberships rock. I wonder if all the students on the forum are aware of the benefits...

So far for me, a free copy of Jaguar, Panther (soon) and a $500 discount on a computer.. seems pretty worth a paltry $99.

Sorry, but as a student dont you already get a discount without ADC membership via the apple online store? Or can you claim both if you have ADC membership as well?

soakwashrinse
Oct 28, 2003, 04:58 AM
The ADC discount is more generous than the standard student discount (~20% as opposed to ~10%) -- most certainly worth the $99 fee.

Too bad I can't claim it in Australia. :)

Nermal
Oct 29, 2003, 03:32 AM
After contacting Apple and finding that the student discount does apply to NZ (it doesn't mention it on their site), I'm going to sign up for ADC and get Panther from there. I'm also looking forward to my hardware discount :)

Lyle
Oct 29, 2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
Kewl. I expect by Wednesday most of us will have the packages and we'll know what's a problem because of all these people who installed it first. ;) For what it's worth, I am enrolled in the ADC Student Program and I got mine in the mail yesterday (Tuesday, October 28). But as eager as I am to try out Panther, I think I'm going to wait just a little bit longer to install it. I'll let others be the guinea pigs ;)

candan9019
Oct 29, 2003, 04:10 PM
Got mine today (wednesday). Installing it on my ibook, clean install. Backing up my imac while I wait. I'm gonna do a clean install on my imac too, hope nothing goes wrong.

bousozoku
Oct 31, 2003, 01:04 PM
I got mine Wednesday and I've had some interesting experiences with it. :(

I noticed that Xcode was not installed on my G3 machine. So much for upgrading the tools. I had better tools running on Windows 3.1 and a 80486 back in 1995. Project Builder and Interface Builder are still no match for Borland C++ v. 4.5. Xcode looks as though it's slightly better in some behind-the-scenes ways than Borland C++ v. 5.0 though but Macintosh programming still hasn't made it into the mid-1990s yet. :(

jestmeister
Nov 3, 2003, 03:41 PM
It's Monday and I still haven't received my student mailing! Anybody else still waiting on theirs?

bousozoku
Nov 3, 2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by jestmeister
It's Monday and I still haven't received my student mailing! Anybody else still waiting on theirs?

Have you logged into the developer site to make certain that there's not something pending?

jestmeister
Nov 3, 2003, 05:19 PM
Nope, nothing pending. I've received every other mailing. Leave it to my luck for this to be the only one of mine to be "lost" or "misplaced":(

raiderz182
Nov 3, 2003, 06:57 PM
i bought my membership about 2 days after panther was released, it activated fully like another 3 days after that.

i am living on campus , but my little brother says that there was a package deliverd to me from the student adc place. there was a t shirt, and about 3 cd's ..... he says one of them is black and has a big X on it , i am crossing my fingers that it is panther

bousozoku
Nov 3, 2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by jestmeister
Nope, nothing pending. I've received every other mailing. Leave it to my luck for this to be the only one of mine to be "lost" or "misplaced":(

At this point, I would suggest waiting another week and then, sending an e-mail to them using the contact form on the developer site. It's unusual that they've gotten them out so early, so maybe there's just a lot going on.