PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma: 4x4GB or 8x2GB in Video Editing Machine

chadosan
Feb 12, 2008, 10:31 AM
I have a new 3.0 Mac Pro on order with the the 8800 that will be set up as a FCP HD Edit station and After Effects Graphics station.

By the time I get everything I need (raid card, capture card, new 30" ACD) I'm into the system for about $10K.

To get 16GB of Ram (from OWC), I can buy either the 8x2GB kit or the 4x4GB kit (which I can always upgrade later with another 4x4GB when the price comes down).

The 8x2GB seems like it would be faster in the near term (according to Bearfeats) but am I sacrificing my long term upgradability to save about $600? And would 16GB of Ram be enough?

My current machine is a Dual 2 Ghz G5 so the new machine will blow it out of the water regardless.

AviationFan
Feb 12, 2008, 10:56 AM
I got 8 x 2GB for my new MacPro, which will also be a video editing machine (plus some audio work). I cannot think of any good reason why I would need more than 16GB of RAM; I figure by the time that's not enough, I'll either have an all-new computer anyway or RAM prices will have decreased to the point where I can afford to just write off the 16GB I bought at first.

If the 8x2 and 4x4 were similarly priced, that would be a different story, but the 4GB modules are so expensive...

- Martin

chadosan
Feb 12, 2008, 12:24 PM
True...I just don't want to be kicking myself in 6 months or so.