Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derekasaurus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
As a new Mac user, I'm using iTunes to rip my audio CDs to AIFF.

In my Windows days I used Exact Audio Copy (EAC) and cdparanioa to ensure the highest quality ripping.

I noticed that iTunes has an option to "Use error correction when reading Audio CDs" when importing. Using this option makes importing CDs much slower, but what is iTunes really doing? Is this error correction worth it? Anyone know how it compares to EAC or cdparanoia?

Thanks!

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
there isnt really any documentation that its using something like EAC, but I am still ripping at ~6x to 160kbps AAC so I don't mind the speed at all. Plus, a little error correction is always a good thing.

Derekasaurus

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Originally posted by sparkleytone
there isnt really any documentation that its using something like EAC, but I am still ripping at ~6x to 160kbps AAC so I don't mind the speed at all. Plus, a little error correction is always a good thing.

My problem is that I'm using iTunes on, ahem, a Windows box -- a 1.6GHz Athlon to be exact. Without error correction it rips to 160kbps AAC at ~10x, but when I turn on error correction it drops to ~0.4x, sometimes even slower!

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by Derekasaurus
My problem is that I'm using iTunes on, ahem, a Windows box -- a 1.6GHz Athlon to be exact. Without error correction it rips to 160kbps AAC at ~10x, but when I turn on error correction it drops to ~0.4x, sometimes even slower!

well...up until now iTunes hasn't had that option, and I have never had a problem with bad rips. At the same time I find it bizarre that it affects your ripping speed so much.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
One of my violent femmes CDs had been scratched, dropped, chipped, puked on and covered with dried beer. After a good cleaning, it wouldn't import at all. I switched on that Error Correction, and it took forever, but it ripped it. Some of the tracks have clicks in them, but the whole album was complete.

So, the rule I use is, rip it normal. If some of the track lengths are shorter - rip with the correction.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Not all optical drives are created equal. Some rip better than others. For example, my Plextor CDRW rips 100% perfectly with no errors, even with error correction turned off.
On the other hand, my no-name brand DVD drive has a ton of errors when trying to rip CD's. Whether these errors can be heard or not is debatable, but those with older or cheaper drives might want to turn it on.

For those curious, I was able to check the level of errors my CD drives had by using the drive check programs that come with Nero: Burning Rom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.