Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramlax13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
So I looked on the mac refurb store today, and saw there are currently 3 different mini models listed. Upon further inspection, I found that the 1.83 C2D mini which normally retails at 599 is at 499 refurb, which is typical. The next model though is a 1.66 CD model with less ram then the first, but a superdrive. This model is listed for 649. The third model is the 2.0 C2D with the superdrive, listed at 679. My question is, why is the older model, the 1.66 Core Duo with only 512 ram and 80 gig hard drive, priced substancially more than the 1.83 C2D and just under the 2.0 C2D. If the middle model was cheaper I would definitely consider buying it right now. Any explanation as to why this is so?

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
Probably a mistake. I got one of the $499 refurb 1.83C2D mini awhile ago and I thought it was a great deal. They may adjust the prices on the mini, it seems like they put out the the CD machines at a higher price all the time.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
They're just discounting off the original price. The original price of the 1.66 CD Mini with Superdrive was the $799.

For some reason, they're not taking age into account. Needs to be around $500.

dbam987

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
Its weird...

I've seen something like this on Amazon's website, where the older Core Duo's were going for upwards of $900. I don't understand the logic behind it entirely, but maybe the fact that the order generation actually was easier to upgrade?

I've been looking at Apple's website for the past 2 months and haven't seen the Mac Mini on the refurbished page until today. To me, that's also strange.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
1) All the intel minis use the same motherboard (though different firmware) - so upgrading is all the same.

But CD (not C2D) can only use 2GB and the chip is worth less on eBay than a C2D.

The Superdrive is only available on the expensive models, and if you have to have an internal DVD burner you are limited in choices for cheapy models. The 1.8CD w/Superdrive shows up at $479 (vs 1.8C2D with Combodrive at $499 refurb)

2) There have been minis in the last 2 months. There was some on 1/24 for example. They typically show up at 2-3am MT and are gone in a few hours.

ramlax13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
1) All the intel minis use the same motherboard (though different firmware) - so upgrading is all the same.

But CD (not C2D) can only use 2GB and the chip is worth less on eBay than a C2D.

The Superdrive is only available on the expensive models, and if you have to have an internal DVD burner you are limited in choices for cheapy models. The 1.8CD w/Superdrive shows up at $479 (vs 1.8C2D with Combodrive at $499 refurb)

2) There have been minis in the last 2 months. There was some on 1/24 for example. They typically show up at 2-3am MT and are gone in a few hours.

First, where did you see the 1.8CD w/superdrive for 479 and second, that doesn't really answer why the CD one is so much more expensive on the apple refurb store

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
First, where did you see the 1.8CD w/superdrive for 479 and second, that doesn't really answer why the CD one is so much more expensive on the apple refurb store

The Apple Store refurb section. Never paid attention as I really wanted a C2D and have an external DVD burner somewhere around the house. I know it was there in 10/2007 and I think it was there 1/24/08.

I think real answer on 1.6 CD price was above - it was very expensive new. Why anybody would pay that price I can only think they are crazy, not paying close attention, or really have to have internal Superdrive at the lowest price. If the 1.8CD model is not available then the 1.6CD is still loads cheaper than a $799 C2D new unit.

I personally picked up a brand new in box C2D 2.0 for $610 from eBay. Cheaper than the same unit as a refurb (which was available 1/24), esp with sales tax - though sale was not as trust worthy as Apple directly and shipping was delayed.

dbam987

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
Just checked the refurbished Macs page on Apple's website and the 1.83 GHz option is not listed anymore. That leaves the 1.66 and 2.0 GHz options... now's the time to get a Mac Mini for cheaper than the original price, only thing is I can't make up my mind on if I really want it or not (unfortunately I have no explicit need for it :().

bomadian

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
does anyone know if the apple online refurb prices are better than the prices they offer for returned stuff at the beginning of every month in the retail stores?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.