Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
i have read that :apple:tv has Airtunes now. so my question is, does it stream only from music stored in the :apple:tv? or does it sync from the computer (iMac) to the stereo, which is connected to the :apple:tv?

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
i have read that :apple:tv has Airtunes now. so my question is, does it stream only from music stored in the :apple:tv? or does it sync from the computer (iMac) to the stereo, which is connected to the :apple:tv?

You play music in iTunes and it pushes the audio out to Apple TV (just like it was an airport express).

Kevin

ankushpatel

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005
dj

Hey this is a great feature added to the apple tv for dj'yin

i can sit in my room and control music to my living room for parties without me having to go to my living room and change the song.

good idea jobs.

anyone else like this airtunes added feature into the apple tv. It takes away the whole point of apple tv but its a great add on.

Volante

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
Can you remote control the computer using airtunes with apple tv. Change songs etc?

ankushpatel

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005
airfoil for apple tv

would it not be cool to have apple tv supported on the airtunes application?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
^ the doesn't seem to work.

I'm playing a song on iTunes which is streaming sound into my :apple:TV. I go to the living room and use the :apple:TV remote to skip.... nothing happens.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

I'm playing a song on iTunes which is streaming sound into my :apple:TV. I go to the living room and use the :apple:TV remote to skip.... nothing happens.

This worked for me. I was able to skip to next/previous track with Apple TV remote, and my Mac changed accordingly.

arn

ankushpatel

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005
apple tv

ye it does not seem to work, i hope they fix it, imagine it any dj application any avi movie anything u have on your computer can play on the apple tv. it would be amazing.

ankushpatel

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005

wait im confused im talking about airfoil are you talking about airfoil the application?

uefigs139

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2004
Airfoil sees the AppleTV, but I haven't got it to play any audio from my computer, maybe an update is needed to fix the problem.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
"- Apple TV can now be used with AirTunes, replicating Airport Express behavior. Will also stream Title, and Album cover. You can also control the iTunes music via the Apple TV (with the remote)."

How are you guys streaming Title and Album cover?

I've had no issue streaming audio to the living room via iTunes' menu, but visually all I get is "Untitled:Unknown Artist:Unknown Album".

Not able to control via remote either.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
This worked for me. I was able to skip to next/previous track with Apple TV remote, and my Mac changed accordingly.

arn

this is the best thing ever. I'm way more interested in the how the :apple:Tv is the new Airport Express.

Is there any reason to get an APX now?

This is gonna make me get one. So, the audio can be streamed from iTunes, into the apple tv, which you hear through the TV speakers?
and you can use your remote to control the music?

i'm excited...

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
Is there any reason to get an APX now?

There are still people who have stereos not connected to their TVs. I don't think that AirTunes has been THE reason people have been buying Airport Express units (or have they been buying them recently?). I am sure some people will still go for the express.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Totally agree..a killer feature. I hated syncing my huge library and navigating.

Hey this is a great feature added to the apple tv for dj'yin

i can sit in my room and control music to my living room for parties without me having to go to my living room and change the song.

good idea jobs.

anyone else like this airtunes added feature into the apple tv. It takes away the whole point of apple tv but its a great add on.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
In order to be able to control iTunes music through ATV when using airtunes you need to go in to iTunes preferences>Advanced and check the box "Allow iTunes control from remote speakers". It is off by default.

Album art is streamed to my ATV as well.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
With that preference set, I can skip the streamed airtunes music. The album artwork gets displayed properly as well. You may have to make sure each streamed song has an artwork. iTunes is not very picky. If only one song in an album has artwork, it displays it for every song in that album, but AppleTV may be more demanding.

beatledud

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2006
I'm just now researching this whole airtunes business.

From what I understand, all the control of the songs played still comes from your computer? This seems rather annoying. Why can't I control the artists, albums, songs, playlists from the comfort of my couch with my remote? Instead I have to run into the other room every time I want to change artists? Front Row is able to integrate this feature. Can anyone else explain why :apple:TV hasn't?

Also, just curious, but with the next generation DVD wars over, does anyone predict that apple will either team up with or produce an :apple:TV with a blue-ray player in it?

Also, since I now have a 1TB AirPort Disk, is there any real need to buy the 160GB version? I don't plan on downloading that many rentals or itunes music to store on it.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Why can't I control the artists, albums, songs, playlists from the comfort of my couch with my remote?

You can do that through the music section on AppleTV, either synced or streamed - But Airtunes main premiss is so you can play iTunes audio throughout your whole house and have it synchronized. For example I have my computer in the office playing my music for a party - I can now stream that audio to my front room stereo with an Airport Express and to the media room where my flat screen is. So its playing in sync with three different set of speakers in three different areas.

Also, just curious, but with the next generation DVD wars over, does anyone predict that apple will either team up with or produce an :apple:TV with a blue-ray player in it?

The format war is far from over - the war now shifts to content delivery, physical (Blue-ray) vrs. digital (iTunes/Vudu/Tivo etc). IMO Blue-ray will be around as a media storage (like current DVDs used to back up/store files) and to a minor extent films. In the long run digital media distribution will win out on the movie end - convenience generally wins out - once 1080p can be downloaded quicker it will kill Blue-ray rentals - they will still be available but the majority of renters will choose downloading IMO. Apple wants people to download content - so I do not see an AppleTV with Blue-ray - on a computer - yes.

Also, since I now have a 1TB AirPort Disk, is there any real need to buy the 160GB version? I don't plan on downloading that many rentals or itunes music to store on it.

I dont see one - the only benefit I see is less cords and possibly less network congestion due to faster access speed to the Disk (i.e. not USB). But until anyone has one thats just a guess.

johnguynn

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
I really don't understand the point of using Airtunes versus just streaming music from the computer to the Apple TV. Can anybody explain when you would want to use Airtunes versus simply streaming?

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
I really don't understand the point of using Airtunes versus just streaming music from the computer to the Apple TV. Can anybody explain when you would want to use Airtunes versus simply streaming?

For everything itunes doesn't do, like websites streaming music or last fm.
And the new airfoil lets you do it:D

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
If your AppleTV is connected to an Amplifier, Airtunes streaming means you no longer need to switch on the television in order to choose what music to listen to. Next best thing to a proper display on the AppleTV itself, which it is unlikely to get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.