PDA

View Full Version : OK iMac users, tell me I am not the only one...

gmanrique
Oct 24, 2003, 11:57 PM
Hello all,

I just Upgraded my system, new iMac 17" 3 weeks old (1.25 ghz), and the first thing I noticed, the boot time has been reduced to 1/3 of the time.

The second thing, The fonts which where my main complain, have been improved so much. Now they look sharper and there is less grey in them.

Third, Some websites that I had problems with before, now are better. I can see the content, it respects the distribution of the information. It is just way better.

Fourth, Preview is a Huge improvement. I guess it does it in combination with the new Quartz . Great.

I have not tried too much stuff yet, but the things I just described bothered mee so much that I am a really happy camper now.

Note: The upgrade process only used disk 1 and 2. At the end of optimizing disk 2, the upgrade process automatically ejected the CD and called the Quit Installer, therefore the last step shown in the list af the left of the installation window was never executed. I guess that is the way it should work.

PD/ I forgot, Mail is a lot better also, as well as Finder. :)

Superdrive
Oct 25, 2003, 01:52 AM
15" iMac FP. The original 800Mhz Superdrive.

This is the best upgrade yet! My system starts up so fast! Fonts look beautiful, graphics are smooth, interface is clean. 5 stars for Panther!

*My only gripe is fast user switching logs out of iChat and quits DVD player. Oh well you can't win it all in one shot.

:cool:

Bear
Oct 25, 2003, 07:44 AM
Disc 3 has stuff that is optional to install. Optional languages, print drivers for older Epsons, and X11. If you don't need or want any of i, don't worry. If you do need iy, you can pop Disc 3 in and run the installer for each package.

They can also be installed during Panther installation by customizing your install.

gmanrique
Oct 25, 2003, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the answer. And.. enjoy your new machines. (Although I got mine recenlty, after installing Panther it feels like a new one. I love it)

chicagdan
Oct 25, 2003, 10:02 PM
I have a year old iMac G4 (17 inch widescreen) and I'm shocked how good Panther turned out to be. I thought this was going to be a minor upgrade and in terms of new features it is, but just about everything is refined. It looks cleaner, runs faster, navigates more logically. I actually think this is a more substantial step forward than Jaguar.

itsbetteronamac
Oct 26, 2003, 07:13 PM
I have a 17" iMac 800MHz, Superdrive, 512MB. And I was always complaining about how slow startup was and how both Sys. profiler and Sys. Pref. were always taking for ever to load. After i installed panther my boot time was cut in 1/2, and system Pref. didn't even take one bounce to load. Oh and today when I went into the System Profiler it didn't even take like a second to bring up all the info, before in jag. it used to take over a minute.

Panther has made my system so much faster, and I would say that it was worth backing stuff up, and going throught the super long install.

I would also like to give 3 cheers for apple. They really came through on this one, and it just puts me another step a head of windows users.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 26, 2003, 07:37 PM
we have heard all these great things but how are the iapps and macgaming???? anyone checking games and how they run?benches facts etc... new os's allways have conflicts growing pains.

Superdrive
Oct 26, 2003, 07:45 PM
iPhoto is still a dog, iTunes is same, iChat resizes and animates better....iMovie, iDVD, and etc. are still unknown

iMac 15"
800Mhz
Superdrive
512MB