PDA

View Full Version : Quartz and transitions in iMovie?

davidje13
Feb 12, 2008, 05:02 PM
I've been looking at the resources folder in iMovie ('08) and it seems that all the transitions and title images are quartz compositions, so I'm wondering if it's possible to make my own. After posting this, it will probably turn out there's a GUI way of doing this...

I had a go at copying the circle out transition and making a simple variation, added a custom mini-pic (transition-xyz.tif) and added an entry to the english Localizable.strings file's transitions section, but I can't work out how to actually include it in iMovie's list. Any ideas? (note: if I change one of the existing files, it does change in iMovie including when exported, although (rather obviously) changing the transition file again will change all projects that use it)

Also a side note: it seems that circle in/out use "CICheapBlur" which is a "Restricted" patch, but you can copy it out of this file and use it in your own projects :D Also the ripple transition won't load properly, implying to me that it also uses restricted patches (although it looks like a simple torus distortion...)