Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubbed82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
hey all, i just got my apple tv and have been playing around with it.. one problem i'm having is that the connection keeps dropping, and itunes doesn't see the apple tv often (nothing under 'sources'). i have a wireless g router, and the apple tv is in the next room, on a shelf not obstructed by anything. what's going on? the 'signal strength' on the apple tv network settings shows maximum bars. the only thing that works is putting in the 5 digit code into itunes, only to have it drop again. am i doing something wrong? why won't it show up in itunes?

jataga

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
Atlanta
this might help

I'm a PC user and over the past few days, my AppleTV has been dropping out of itunes for no what seemed to be no apparent reason. I loaded iTunes on different PCs, entered the access code in iTunes and every time, the AppleTV would drop out after about 5 minutes.

I was reading a little about WEP and other security settings and I remember that before i upgraded to a different access point, i was only using MAC address filtering and nothing else. When i installed the new access point, I didn't use MAC filtering and only WEP.

SOLUTION:
Something with the encryption i was using because i turned the encryption off and turned on MAC filtering. I need some type of security even though MAC filtering isn't that great. Anyway, it works like a charm. Apparently WEP or WPA doesn't work well with the latest versions of appleTV and/or iTunes.

I hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.