PDA

View Full Version : Networking Old G4 Cube

Erasmus
Feb 12, 2008, 08:11 PM
Hi guys!

I have one of those old G4 Cubes that I've bequeathed to my mum now I have a MBP. The problem is that I can't network it to anything. Mum needs to get it networked to print, and to get it on the internet to download updates, and do other internet stuff. Problem is, although there are no error messages or anything, it simply cannot see anything via Ethernet, and nothing sees it. I can only assume that the ethernet port on it doesn't work anymore.

So, I guess the easiest thing to do is just scrap it and have her buy a Macbook or something to use, but is there any other way of getting it on our network? I've considered wireless, but it seems the Airport cards are rather expensive, and rather rare, especially in Australia (none on eBay). So, any suggestions would be good, anything I'm missing, etc. Anyone have experience with USB wireless converters? I'm pretty sure it's only got USB 1. Certainly not USB 2, but it might be 1.1.

I put a fresh install of 10.4.0 on it (I think it's .0, it just says 10.4 in "About This Mac"). It's connected to a router, but I don't think the router is the problem.