Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rm.237

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Somewhere
Im a new Apple TV owner and am really just kind of confused on how to both access this feature and what it exactly does. Layman terms please. :p

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/features/airtunes.html

AirTunes takes the music from the iTunes library on your computer and sends it wirelessly to any stereo or speakers in your home

In this case, iTunes on your home computer can output music straight to the Apple TV. Instead of outputting to your computer speakers, you can choose "Apple TV"

The menu is on the bottom of the iTunes window. see attachment.

What's nice is that it also sends the Album art and song information to the Apple TV so it appears on the Apple TV like normal. And you can use the Apple TV remote to advance or go to previous song.

Attachments

• iTunesScreenSnapz001.png
    iTunesScreenSnapz001.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 307

knpm

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2005
aside from music from your itunes library, you can now use the radio function of itunes. that was something that was not available prior to this update.
knpm

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
Well... this is GREAT news for iPhone or iPod touch owners.

Now, your iPod touch or iPhone can control your Apple TV (although your computer has to be on).

1) Grab this: http://www.alloysoft.com/
2) Install it on your Mac or PC
3) Open Safari on your iPod touch or iPhone and enter the specified address
4) Control iTunes

Make sure you've set up iTunes to play through the Apple TV. Of course, it should be noted that this only works with music but still, kinda cool.

Ta Da!!!!

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
...What's nice is that it also sends the Album art and song information to the Apple TV so it appears on the Apple TV like normal. And you can use the Apple TV remote to advance or go to previous song.

arn,

How are you streaming the album art and song information? I'm getting the audio to stream, but getting "Untitled:Unknown Artist:Unknown Album" on the TV.

zathras

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2005
North AL
Hmmm I'm not able to get it to work apparently - my iTunes just sits at connecting to aTV when I select it. I do have airtunes enabled also. Oh well I'm sure it will clear up eventually.

Elektronkind

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
Baltimore, MD
whats the difference than just selecting the music from the Apple TV and streaming it?

The advantage here is that, from a audio-only perspective, it's no longer necessary to turn on your TV in order to operate Apple TV. If all I want to do is play music on my stereo system, I just pop open iTunes and stream my music to the Apple TV. This makes the Apple TV a perfect replacement for the Airport Express in that regard.

This is the one feature that has kept my from buying a Apple TV. My TV is actually a HD projector, and I don't like to have to fire that up just to play music on my attached stereo system (I do this now with a Airport Express). Now with Take 2 of the Apple TV, I can now do video and maintain the same functionality I have had with the AP Express.

/dale

Rm.237

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Somewhere
Thanks arn and others for the replies. The link provided also answered some other questions I had regarding a setting up a wireless network. Timecapsule cannot get here soon enough.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago

Now, your iPod touch or iPhone can control your Apple TV (although your computer has to be on).

4) Control iTunes

Ta Da!!!!

Yes, huzzah! Between this and remote buddy, surely one will work well (can you give us your experience, ClassicBean?). And with the SDK around the corner, I bet there will be one or two new ways to do this.

I don't have to fire up the tv, *and* I can rent movies with it? That's it. Now I have to have one.

mensrea

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2006
La$ Vega$, NV
Im a new Apple TV owner and am really just kind of confused on how to both access this feature and what it exactly does. Layman terms please. :p

Also, don't forget you can use mutiple systems as the ultimate and cheapest multiilink system available!!!!

Absolutely mind blowing! I don't think alot of people have ever understood the potential of this device! Today's upgrade just blew the doors off of a plethera of devices!

I've loved my aTV since day one, when I bought it, but know with the direct downloads and air tunes streaming this is just golden. I'm I PC guy, but check this out:

Right now, I am sharing my collection of 24k songs over my n-network from my desktop to my tiny Samsung Q1. I have my aTV hooked up to my HD projector and a Bose system. Because I can now use multiple speakers AND CONTROL THE VOLUME, I can now light up all of my sytems game room, office, bedroom, livingroom for a fraction of the cost of any comperable system Sonos, Bose-link, etc. Because I have all of my music on a dedicated server and can stream that back to my Q1 or my OQO and then stream that out to multiple speaker syatems I can walk around with a tiny touchscreen PC and control all of my music, volume and all from one location!!!!!

I am completely geeking out people!!! :D:D:D:D

Huzzah!!!!

And that's just a side benefit! I haven't even touched on the freedom I now have with the 118 dvd's I've ripped! I've never been this happy about my media/gadgets ever!!! Whoooooo hoooooooo!

I bought a song on aTV, played it and watched it sync to my smart "added today" / "jazz" playlists and in turn on to my 160gb classic without lifting a finger!!!

It's like I've been waiting for this day my since I bought my fist CD!!!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
arn,

How are you streaming the album art and song information? I'm getting the audio to stream, but getting "Untitled:Unknown Artist:Unknown Album" on the TV.

I didn't do anything special, the art just showed up.

arn

tburns

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2007
Multiple speakers

In my typical anal retentive style, I knocked out a quick tutorial for using airtunes with the new version of Apple TV.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2783/apple_tv_stream_internet_radio_or_any_audio_to_your_tv_airtunes_

Appreciate the digg submission, guys and gals. Here's that link...

http://digg.com/apple/Stream_Internet_Radio_to_your_Apple_TV

I use multiple airport express' for different parts/zones of my house. Unfortunately I can put itunes on multiple speakers but the furthest express is just a little to far away to get a constant stream. Can you use the apple tv and other express' at the same time? I realize that I would have to keep the apple tv on the the 802.11g because airport express in not 802.11n compatible. To switch the subject a little, I use an airport express as a base station but am replacing with Time Capsule. My main objective is to play music from itunes in all zones simultaneously. So I am hoping Time Capsule
will cover a bit more distance in the 802.11g format because I am still using airport express' in different zones. My last thought is Apple says Time capsule will work with your iphone, I hope people realize they cannot do that in the 802.11n, iphone is only 802.11g compatible. The End

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/features/airtunes.html

In this case, iTunes on your home computer can output music straight to the Apple TV. Instead of outputting to your computer speakers, you can choose "Apple TV"

The menu is on the bottom of the iTunes window. see attachment.

What's nice is that it also sends the Album art and song information to the Apple TV so it appears on the Apple TV like normal. And you can use the Apple TV remote to advance or go to previous song.

Can't AppleTV already do that w/o the Airtunes hardware? I assumed it was possible; very much in the way another computer on the same network could share iTunes library of another computer on the same network. I either have completely misinterpret the original question and your response or something because I don't see a very practical application for the Airtunes device outside of using it to send songs to your stereo system without a computer.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Very nice. I think I'll have to give that a try.

4) Control iTunes

Make sure you've set up iTunes to play through the Apple TV. Of course, it should be noted that this only works with music but still, kinda cool.

Ta Da!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.