PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 left speaker blown..can I buy a replacement?

Mr. Bubbles
Feb 12, 2008, 08:56 PM
I think that it must be either the speaker itself, the soundcard, or the power cable running to it but it is definitely a hardware problem of somekind because it happens under OSX and Linux.

My question is: will replacing the upper case fix this? I've found a few listing on ebay for the
trackpad/speakers/uppercase for my model and it seems to indicate that the speakers are integrated into this component? Please let me know if this is correct and if you have had a similar problem/solution. Thanks!

kyleaa
Feb 12, 2008, 10:42 PM
Yes, the iBook speakers are integrated into the upper case. I took my iBook G4 into an Apple Authorized repair center, and they said they couldn't fix the bad speakers because the upper case is a cosmetic part....

mbcracken
Mar 21, 2008, 09:18 AM
I too just lost my left speaker and is now just a very tinny sounding blown speaker. Did you replace your top plate? Costs for the topplate?

Cheers,
mike

Mr. Bubbles
Mar 22, 2008, 12:25 PM
I ended up selling it before I fixed it, but I was about to buy either some speakers or a topplate of of ebay for around $25. If you use the guide from ifixit.com it shouldn't be too hard of a repair. Good luck!