Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Hey there,

So, I'm having this rather annoying problem with my Apple TV. It's located about 25 feet and one wall from my 802.11n Apple Airport router. When I put my MacBook right next to it, I get full signal on my laptop.

On my Apple TV, however, the network settings page doesn't even see the network half the time (when you go to configure wifi it doesn't even show up in the list of networks). When I do get it to show up, after I enter my password I'm confronted with an error saying "There was a problem connecting to the network. Please try again. (-3)"

What does this mean? I can't find it anywhere on google or on the forums. I've tried changing the network from N-only to G-and-N, turning on and off security, etc...I've reset my router and Apple TV like 50 times with different settings and no matter what this happens! Any ideas?

imaw

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
Mason, OH
I'm having the same problem. Did you ever figure out why this was happening, and what did you to resolve it?

rickeames

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
I'm having the same problem. Did you ever figure out why this was happening, and what did you to resolve it?

Has anyone gotten this to work right? I have watched my AppleTV drop off of my wireless this past week and now it refuses to connect to it. This is connecting to an Apple Airport Extreme, so it's a full Apple solution that is not working one bit.

It simply shows no wireless networks at all, which is completely false as they are RIGHT THERE.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Is there any chance that your AppleTV is being shielded by metal? For instance, I think I remember reading a post a while back from someone who was getting poor reception when his AppleTV was sitting on top of a DVD player with a metal case. When he moved the unit off of the DVD player, the problem went away.

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

it sounds like you have some kind of interference. I would try moving it to a different location

imaw

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2008
Mason, OH
My MacBook Pro, when placed right next to my atv has no problem seeing the network and connecting at full strength. I haven't tried moving my atv because I figured if the macbook could see it the atv should be able to. I'll try that and see if it works, though.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
I remember some people having problems with wide-band enabled AirPort Extremes. Do you have that turned on? If so, try switching it off just to see if it helps. Otherwise, what mchalebk said.

mohamadhh

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
it worked!

thanks guys. i was having the same problem and i took the apple tv off the metal dvd player and everything went back to normal

laz305

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Miami
I just had this happen to me too and mines Jailbroken so I thought it was broken. It was fine and had an hdmi cable problem and couldn't see screen so couldn't turn it off so I just unplugged it. Next day when I got a new HDMI cable it would read any wifi spots so after a while I selected test connection and it passed then it was fine. Hope this helps

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Not sure if this is 100% related, but my Apple TV has decided to forget that it's connected to my router every so often (Netgear 802.11n model - works fine with my MacBook Pro, iPad, and iPhone), and it still lists it in the recent networks, so I just need to select it and enter my password, but it's really annoying. This started happening post-4.3 (or 4.2 depending on who you talk to).

I don't broadcast my SSID, but I don't think that should affect it?

I don't move it and it doesn't seem to have problems with the signal once it gets it, so I'm suspecting some sort of bug. The other weird thing is that it worked for 2+ hours on Netflix, then I started something else and it disconnected shortly after.

nickcage49

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2009
Thailand
Apple Support Sucks!

I am over in Thailand and am having the same issue. But let me tell you something, don't buy an apple product in the US and expect them to honor the "international warranty" in some countries. Here's the scathing note I sent apple on their website. Btw, now I was on hold over 40 minutes with no guarantee they'll even give me a refund, even though one of their people already promised it. Now after 43 minutes on the phone (in addition to the countless time I have already spent) they still aren't telling me if I'll get a refund. If they think I'm shipping this back to the US at my expense and then paying to have it shipped back, they have another thing coming! Read the note, it will be enlightening. I'll have my Roku here next week and with shipping here it will be about the same as I paid for apple tv:

I would like to tell you my experience with buying an Apple TV in the US and trying to utilize the "international warranty". I'd like to tell you that you've turned a loyal apple fan into an apple hater. I own 2 macbook pros, have bought a previous desktop computer and a macbook and own an iphone and an ipad among other apple products. I've always found your support to be good, but something bad is happening over there and if it keeps up I'm afraid you're going to lose your edge. In fact I have a good friend who owns a large amount of apple stock and I'm going to suggest he sell it all and get out. You guys are headed down.

I'm now living in Thailand and ordered my apple tv from your online store in March. I called your "support" people in Singapore today and went through troubleshooting steps, since my apple tv wasn't working. We determined it was a defective unit. This isn't the first time this has happened. I bought an airport express last year and it was defective when I got over here to Thailand. I was told at first by Singapore that I could just go to an apple shop and do an exchange. Wrong, they told me they didn't stock them and that Singapore would have to send me one. I wasn't happy, but I waited and got my airport express and now it works.

Now I have a defective apple tv. Again Singapore suggested I take it to the apple shop for an exchange. Again I wasted more time by going there, only to be told the same thing. I called back and your Singapore agent kept me on hold for about 30 minutes and said she would call me back. When she did she told me that I would have to send the unit back to the USA because it wasn't sold or supported here. Again, nice international warranty. So I called the USA tonight and they told me that I would have to send the apple tv back to the USA to a friend, who would have to send it to apple, who in turn would send a replacement and then my friend would have to send it to me. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! What has become of your company? You are no longer customer oriented. I refuse to pay the shipping both ways. That in itself will cost as much as the apple tv. So when I return to the states on a business trip at the end of the month I will send it back to apple at your expense, get a refund and be done with it.

I have ordered a new Roku, which I hear is better then apple tv anyway.

Now I'm approaching 30 minutes on hold with your "support" trying to arrange a simple refund. The first person I talked to tried to tell me I purchased my apple tv in October of last year and not in March. She couldn't even look something up by my order number. LAME!

So this is what you have accomplished. You've taken a person who when he needed any product you sell, didn't even think to look for competition. This will change. When I need a phone, I may just get a Droid, who I understand is kicking your butts. When I need a tablet I may just go for whatever competing product is rated well and is a good value. I'm not completely thrilled with my ipad anyway to be honest. As I stated, I already bought a Roku to replace my defective apple tv.

Your company is not going to keep up it's growth pattern if you keep treating loyal customers like myself this way. It will cost you in the end.

Please forward a copy of this to Mr. Jobs. I am not surprised that your company is sliding with him out of the picture. When he left before you went down the tubes. Unfortunately I see this happening again quite soon.

Sincerely,

BarryfromOmaha

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
one solution

I had the same issue after an OS update - tired everything to diagnose;

Finally I changed the password to the WiFi; made is short and clean; formerly long and complex, spaces/punc/#/caps.

It jumped right on

pena

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2011
""""Fixed""""

Is there any chance that your AppleTV is being shielded by metal? For instance, I think I remember reading a post a while back from someone who was getting poor reception when his AppleTV was sitting on top of a DVD player with a metal case. When he moved the unit off of the DVD player, the problem went away.

Hi All,

I just got my apple TV this past black Friday and also bought a flat TV for my son’s bedroom so we would not have to add an additional cable box. I mounted the TV with a metal mount and attached the apple TV to the back of the TV added the apple TV to our wireless network and for about a week it worked fine. Picked up all the TV shows we bought for him. Then one day I just go and turn on the TV and the apple TV would no longer pick up the network, tried adding it back to my network and after 100 tries and getting the error 37 I googled the issue and found this post. I removed the apple TV from the back of the TV and just placed it on top of the TV where the metal mount was not facing it and tried adding back my network and on the first try it worked. Looks like apple has an issue here even if the apple TV was picking up the network at full signal before this issue started.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.