PDA

View Full Version : ?Possible to prevent sleep mode when i close the lid (using Panther)?

andrewgmiles
Oct 25, 2003, 09:13 AM
Hi all,

Is it possible to prevent sleep mode coming on when I switch the lid of my powerbook? (using Panther).

I've been connecting my mac to my TV to watch dvds that I have ripped and it's a bit distracting to have to see the film coming up twice... it would be much neater to just be able to shut the lid and carry on using the mac...

is that possible with the new o/s?

cheers all!

coumerelli
Oct 25, 2003, 10:47 AM
I'm with you. I'd like to close the lid when I'm just litening to iTunes. But can't. Anyone know of a way to do that?

Taavi
Oct 25, 2003, 06:28 PM
Search for NoSleep in versiontracker, but I'm not sure if it works with panther yet.

xpsguy
Mar 10, 2004, 04:00 PM
Reading the comments on NoSleep on VersionTracker got me very scared. It patches the kernel in wierd ways, which can be dangerous.

A short search found SleepLess on VersionTracker which accomplishes the same thing with none of the risk to your kernel. (AFAIK)

I"m using SleepLess on my 12" PB G4 with no problems.

abhishekit
Mar 10, 2004, 04:54 PM
running a dvd with lid closed could really heat it up..so be careful though

mactastic
Mar 10, 2004, 06:24 PM
I just turn the display brightness all the way down when I'm watching DVDs on the TV. No muss, no fuss, no kernel tweaking.

BrandonRP0123
Mar 10, 2004, 10:27 PM
I just turn the display brightness all the way down when I'm watching DVDs on the TV. No muss, no fuss, no kernel tweaking.

That and/or close the lid to right before the latch opens up. If it's plugged in, and you have a newer model powerbook or iBook you can wake it up and it'll drive ONLY the external display (aka the TV in this case).

warcraftmaster
Mar 10, 2004, 11:59 PM
That and/or close the lid to right before the latch opens up. If it's plugged in, and you have a newer model powerbook or iBook you can wake it up and it'll drive ONLY the external display (aka the TV in this case).

you need a ex mouse and keybored too.i got the apple bt mouse and i love it

superbovine
Mar 11, 2004, 01:02 AM
running a dvd with lid closed could really heat it up..so be careful though

huh? i run with an external monitor with my lid closed a lot. never bothered it. all you do with an external keyboard is hit escape with the lid closed and the computer wakes up and function normally. apple engineers wouldn't you run the computer with the lid closed unless it didn't cause any problems

ChrisH3677
Mar 11, 2004, 02:59 AM
huh? i run with an external monitor with my lid closed a lot. never bothered it. all you do with an external keyboard is hit escape with the lid closed and the computer wakes up and function normally. apple engineers wouldn't you run the computer with the lid closed unless it didn't cause any problems

This theme surfaces regularly, and the deabte often gets quite heated (hahaha pun intended).

Anyways, it's quite clear that a closed Powerbook kept running is prone to overheating. it even warns against such things in the manual.

But what Superbovine raises is quite true and contradicts everything and then doesn't make any sense at all.

There maybe two things to consider here tho...

1) If you close the lid and don't prevent sleep, then everything, including the screen, is still operating, possibly even if you do dim it to black.

2) Whereas with an external monitor connect, maybe it is engineered to turn off the inbuilt screen totally, and run cooler.

these are just theories!