Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shogunami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Hi!

I've used Bootcamp for quite some time now, and it had worked well (for being windows and all), I used to be able to boot properly 7/8 out of 10 times.
But sometimes it freezes at the Windows XP logo/loader bar and I have to use the power button and reboot. I was ok with this, most of the times I could boot up again after restarting, but now something else has happened.
I cant start windows at all, it keeps freezing at the XP logo over and over.
Sometimes it can take a few seconds before it freezes and sometimes it freezes instantly.

I posted on two other forums, and on one of them I got the tip to try WMware Fusion, when I tried to start Windows Bootcamp partition via WMware it says that because Windows didn't get shutdown properly the last time, I have to start windows and reboot it again. But how's that possible if I cant start windows?

I've also read somewhere that sometimes if you deactivate the wireless-network in Windows, you cant boot again. Appearently it doesn't help to reinstall or format, not that I've tried myself, there are files that I need.

Please help me, I'd be really greatful.

Thanks,
Robin.

koscar

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
Same problem here

i have the same problem, first time i got it just after installing OpenOffice on the xp. after that it just freezed. i removed once i got inside the xp and then it booted up just fine.

now a month later im reading a nfo file about something that i downloaded... xp freezes and i have to turn it off by pressing the off button.
and now its back again.
i thought that xp dindt like the thing i downloaded so i removed it, bu still the same problem. im getting in to xp 1/9 times even less...

sucks bigtime

im really concerned that you havent got a answer even though you posted it in januari...

tekjunke

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
Florida
I'm seeing the same issue, I'm a long time Windows user trying to make the switch to Mac, however this has proven to be a deal breaker for me. After many hours of "attempted" debugging, I ended up reinstalling WinXP... only to have the same thing happen again 1 week later. Now I'm back to my ThinkPad until I can find a solution.

koscar

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
yeay

i finally got in to my xp partition without freeze. (after 20 attempts)
i downloaded the bootcamp upgrade 2.1 for win xp.
i had no freezups since!

jdzialak

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
Bootcamp worker great for me for 3 months then Windows wouldn't open.

I went back in time to a pre SP3 install period and i'm fine now.
I learned my lesson and turned off Windows Updates.

Joe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.