Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KDR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
Can you watch a rented movie on a 2nd ATV without paying for it twice? I am considering moving my 40gb ATV to my kids' playroom and buying a 160gb for the family room. This would be an added benefit.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
From the FAQ:

Can I play my rental on more than one device?

If you download a rented movie on your computer, you can transfer it to your Apple TV, iPod, or iPhone. Once you move the movie from your computer to a device, the movie will disappear from your computer's iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as many times as you wish during the rental period, but the movie can only be viewed on one device at a time. If you rent the movie on your Apple TV, it is not transferable to any other device and you must watch it on your Apple TV.

KDR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
From the FAQ:

Can I play my rental on more than one device?

If you download a rented movie on your computer, you can transfer it to your Apple TV, iPod, or iPhone. Once you move the movie from your computer to a device, the movie will disappear from your computer's iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as many times as you wish during the rental period, but the movie can only be viewed on one device at a time. If you rent the movie on your Apple TV, it is not transferable to any other device and you must watch it on your Apple TV.

This creates a limitation for HD content. With our cable DVRs, we can watch rented movies from any DVR and Cox credits our account for the rental fee. We often start movies in the family room and finish them in the bedroom. Sharing between ATVs is something that Apple will have to address as this thing matures.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
This creates a limitation for HD content. With our cable DVRs, we can watch rented movies from any DVR and Cox credits our account for the rental fee. We often start movies in the family room and finish them in the bedroom. Sharing between ATVs is something that Apple will have to address as this thing matures.

Or, you could just take the box to your bedroom. Apple makes more money your way, though, so perhaps they will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.