PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air: Have you tried the invisible shield?

prominence
Feb 13, 2008, 01:04 PM
http://www.invisibleshield.com/laptop/Apple/MacBook-Air.php

I am trying to decide if it's worth buying or not. Has anyone bought it for their MBA? Is it truly invisible (or does it make the laptop look better)? Does it add more weight? Is it worth the $50?

Cybergypsy
Feb 13, 2008, 01:05 PM
http://www.invisibleshield.com/laptop/Apple/MacBook-Air.php

I am trying to decide if it's worth buying or not. Has anyone bought it for their MBA? Is it truly invisible (or does it make the laptop look better)? Does it add more weight? Is it worth the $50?

They had it last week 1/2 price........

http://www.invisibleshield.com/laptop/apple/macbook-air.php

dyerucf
Feb 13, 2008, 01:17 PM
Any one have any detailed high resolution pictures of it on the macbook, I would like to see what it looks like

Cybergypsy
Feb 13, 2008, 01:31 PM
I would buy it but not sure if it will look good either....

dahcheet
Feb 13, 2008, 01:45 PM
I have something similar for my iPod Nano and it's nice. As for the Air, I think it would make the entire thing look glossy and odd. Also, I don't know how I feel about the piece on the bottom. If the unit gets warm (which can happen) will the adhesive be strong enough to last without slipping/shifting? If anything, I would get the part for the wrist rest just so I don't have to worry about my watch scratching that part. Even still, it covers the track pad and I'm not sure how well it would fit with the indentation of the track pad and what kind of interference it would have.

On that note, I'm a little skeptical.

dyerucf
Feb 13, 2008, 02:14 PM
I have something similar for my iPod Nano and it's nice. As for the Air, I think it would make the entire thing look glossy and odd. Also, I don't know how I feel about the piece on the bottom. If the unit gets warm (which can happen) will the adhesive be strong enough to last without slipping/shifting? If anything, I would get the part for the wrist rest just so I don't have to worry about my watch scratching that part. Even still, it covers the track pad and I'm not sure how well it would fit with the indentation of the track pad and what kind of interference it would have.

On that note, I'm a little skeptical.

So I take it that it will make the unit look glossy..... to bad they dont have it with more of a mat finish

dahcheet
Feb 13, 2008, 02:22 PM
So I take it that it will make the unit look glossy..... to bad they dont have it with more of a mat finish

Well, I don't know if it will or will not. The one I have for my iPod Nano is from a different company and it has a bit of glossy look to it already. The clear shield doesn't add to it, but I would imagine it would if it were matte like the finish on the MBA.

From the demo video on the website you linked it looks like it would add a big of reflection BUT the video only shows the LCD screen covers that they sell for phones, iPod, etc. and nothing with a flat finish like the MBA.

Just my observations.

jameskohn
Feb 13, 2008, 03:05 PM
I use their products on all of my camera screens, my iPhone, and iPods. They are top notch in terms of quality, customer service and appearance. If you are in the market for this type of product, Invisible Shield is definitely the best of the bunch. I've even given them as gifts.

One bit of advice: a little patience while applying the film pays off in the long run. Take your time, make it perfect.

QCassidy352
Feb 13, 2008, 03:39 PM
I have one on my macbook (and nano, and iphone). It's a great product. It would make the MBA look a shinier, like it was coated in very thin ice. IMO it looks very good, but YMMV. One other thing - to apply it correctly takes time and patience, so don't rush it.

mctheriot
Feb 13, 2008, 03:52 PM
I've got one on order - confirmed it shipped out today. I'll post when I get it.

Those of you that have used them on other products, is it difficult to get it installed correctly?

Mark

dthree36
Feb 13, 2008, 04:41 PM
I purchased the full body set for 27 dollars but have not received it yet. If it helps reduce scratches and discoloration, great. I just hope it doesn't make the aluminum look like plastic.

ddd269
Feb 13, 2008, 04:42 PM
Got the full body kit and put it on 2 day ago... except the bottom piece (I'll explain little later).

Yes it is a bit glossy but I think it looks good. More than compensates for it's protection and helps with grip as well - I've almost dropped the MBA twice already because of it's slippery aluminum cover.

I have the invisibleshield on every thing worth protecting in my collection of gadgets. Including, MBA, MBP, two MBs, iPhone, and several cell phones.

I absolutely love the invisibleshield. I've never been disappointed with one and God knows how many times it saved me from drops (things onto and dropping on the floor).

The MBA cover didn't disappoint either. I could only install the top cover, wrist cover, trackpad button cover for now, because the bottom cover was mis-cut (the cut was flipped over as if it was looking in to a mirror - in other words, adhesive on the wrong side). I called Zagg the next day, and no problem, they sent me a new one and it's on it's way.

To answer the trackpad question... The trackpad cover is a separate piece, as is the trackpad button cover. The trackpad cover is the only thing I don't like to cover, because it's a bit tacky and hinders finger sliding. But, my son doesn't mind the tackyness on his MB trackpad. Matter of preference, I guess.

You also, have to remember that the covers have a life time warranty and will exchange if you damage, peel, or if you send it for service and have to remove the covers. You just have to send the old cover back to them and they'll send new ones to you! They peel easily with a firm pull. No glue residue, even after 1 year, in my experience. btw... excellent customer service.

I highly recommend this product on all your stuff.

quick install tip: Make sure you spray lots of application solution (heavily mist evenly). Match one side and slowly lower the rest of the cover (if you get bubbles inside, don't worry, you can squeegee it out later). If you have sprayed enough solution, you'll be able to slide the cover until you position it right. Spray lightly over the top (this is to help the squeegee slide easily without moving the cover out of position) of the cover and hold one side of the cover firmly, so it won't move during the squeegee process and squeegee the solution out. After you squeegee the solution, wipe the excess solution on computer and work area with a lint free cloth. The curved edge will not be tacky when wet, so squeegee out as much solution as possible and let it dry for 3~4 minutes and push down with your fingers (or finger covered with lint-free cloth - helps absorb excess solution).

First try a cover that won't show too much if you mess up (the bottom cover, for example). Gain experience and the rest should be easy.

Just be patient and try to work in a dust free environment. After all the covers that I've installed, I can cover a whole computer in less than 15 minutes.

ewxlt
Feb 13, 2008, 05:04 PM
I love the stuff!

I have it on every cell phone and gadget I own with a screen.

I will be putting on the wrist wrests on my new MBP when it comes out.

It is more glossy but I don't mind.

Cybergypsy
Feb 13, 2008, 05:29 PM
Got the full body kit and put it on 2 day ago... except the bottom piece (I'll explain little later).

Yes it is a bit glossy but I think it looks good. More than compensates for it's protection and helps with grip as well - I've almost dropped the MBA twice already because of it's slippery aluminum cover.

I have the invisibleshield on every thing worth protecting in my collection of gadgets. Including, MBA, MBP, two MBs, iPhone, and several cell phones.

I absolutely love the invisibleshield. I've never been disappointed with one and God knows how many times it saved me from drops (things onto and dropping on the floor).

The MBA cover didn't disappoint either. I could only install the top cover, wrist cover, trackpad button cover for now, because the bottom cover was mis-cut (the cut was flipped over as if it was looking in to a mirror - in other words, adhesive on the wrong side). I called Zagg the next day, and no problem, they sent me a new one and it's on it's way.

To answer the trackpad question... The trackpad cover is a separate piece, as is the trackpad button cover. The trackpad cover is the only thing I don't like to cover, because it's a bit tacky and hinders finger sliding. But, my son doesn't mind the tackyness on his MB trackpad. Matter of preference, I guess.

You also, have to remember that the covers have a life time warranty and will exchange if you damage, peel, or if you send it for service and have to remove the covers. You just have to send the old cover back to them and they'll send new ones to you! They peel easily with a firm pull. No glue residue, even after 1 year, in my experience. btw... excellent customer service.

I highly recommend this product on all your stuff.

quick install tip: Make sure you spray lots of application solution (heavily mist evenly). Match one side and slowly lower the rest of the cover (if you get bubbles inside, don't worry, you can squeegee it out later). If you have sprayed enough solution, you'll be able to slide the cover until you position it right. Spray lightly over the top (this is to help the squeegee slide easily without moving the cover out of position) of the cover and hold one side of the cover firmly, so it won't move during the squeegee process and squeegee the solution out. After you squeegee the solution, wipe the excess solution on computer and work area with a lint free cloth. The curved edge will not be tacky when wet, so squeegee out as much solution as possible and let it dry for 3~4 minutes and push down with your fingers (or finger covered with lint-free cloth - helps absorb excess solution).

First try a cover that won't show too much if you mess up (the bottom cover, for example). Gain experience and the rest should be easy.

Just be patient and try to work in a dust free environment. After all the covers that I've installed, I can cover a whole computer in less than 15 minutes.

Pictures would be nice.......

hotsauce
Feb 14, 2008, 12:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Close your eyes. Picture your MBA except shinier.

dahcheet
Feb 14, 2008, 07:20 AM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Close your eyes. Picture your MBA except shinier.

>_<

Nope, didn't work. Pics would be nice.

I think I might order the wrist pad protector because I wear a watch and am always leery about it scratching the finish on the pad. We shall see.

ddd269
Feb 14, 2008, 01:34 PM
Pictures of the invisishield. Like I posted ealier, I didn't apply the trackpad (don't like the tackiness) and the bottom piece because I'm getting a new one due to defect.

Anyways Here are the pics. Sorry about the quality on the close-ups (I took it with iPhone)

lewisozz
Feb 14, 2008, 01:40 PM
got it yesterday for my MBA 1.8/64 a week ago and it is not invisble:MY ADVICE DO NOT BUY IT !!!!

dahcheet
Feb 14, 2008, 01:49 PM
Pictures of the invisishield. Like I posted ealier, I didn't apply the trackpad (don't like the tackiness) and the bottom piece because I'm getting a new one due to defect.

Anyways Here are the pics. Sorry about the quality on the close-ups (I took it with iPhone)

Thank you for posting those pictures! It confirms what I had though in that it would make the outside a little too glossy for my liking. I'm still considering getting the wrist protector though.

got it yesterday for my MBA 1.8/64 a week ago and it is not invisble:MY ADVICE DO NOT BUY IT !!!!

Did you get the wrist protector? If so, did you apply it? If not, would you be willing to part with it at a reduced cost? :D

lewisozz
Feb 14, 2008, 02:03 PM
Sorry no wrist protector

lewisozz
Feb 14, 2008, 02:04 PM
Did you get the wrist protector? If so, did you apply it? If not, would you be willing to part with it at a reduced cost? :D[/QUOTE]

Sorry sold it on eBay yesterday :(:(:(

ddd269
Feb 14, 2008, 02:14 PM
Thank you for posting those pictures! It confirms what I had though in that it would make the outside a little too glossy for my liking. I'm still considering getting the wrist protector though.

I took the pictures with maximum reflection so I could show the cover otherwise, it's not as glossy.

btw. You'll appreciate the non-slip feel, which feels a lot more secure than the MBA's cover, which is very slippery.

It's your preference, but in my opinion, it's the best bulk-free protection you can buy. ;)

ddd269
Feb 14, 2008, 02:18 PM

What didn't you like about it? I'm asking with the utmost respect, not to shoot you down. :)

lewisozz
Feb 15, 2008, 03:41 AM
They said it was invisible. and that was why i bought it because i didnt want to carry round a case all day. But the invisble shield just makes my MBA shinney and glossy which i dont like !!! and it makes the MBA fuzzie !!!!

lewisozz
Feb 15, 2008, 03:42 AM
They said it was invisible. and that was why i bought it because i didnt want to carry round a case all day. But the invisble shield just makes my MBA shinney and glossy which i dont like !!! and it makes the MBA fuzzie !!!!

matt4077
Feb 15, 2008, 05:19 AM
Wow, that's ugly. Reminds me of those people that cover their couches with plastic to avoid stains. I always wonder why the ugly plastic doesn't bother them, while stains apparently do.

Anyway, my 5 years old 17" Powerbook had to endure quite a lot of abuse over the years, and I can't find a single scratch on it.

ddd269
Feb 15, 2008, 10:24 AM
Wow, that's ugly. Reminds me of those people that cover their couches with plastic to avoid stains. I always wonder why the ugly plastic doesn't bother them, while stains apparently do.

Anyway, my 5 years old 17" Powerbook had to endure quite a lot of abuse over the years, and I can't find a single scratch on it.

It's much understated when you see it in person. Besides, a couch you don't carry around, but a computer you do. MBA was designed to be a "usable ultra portable" which more than likely makes it much more vulnerable to damage than any other notebooks in the past.

I guess I'm a bit clumsy, because I've dropped stuff on top of or hit my notebooks on door handles and such and the invisishield protected the impact beautifully. The beauty of this product is that you never have to worry about it being on (like a sleeve), it's worry free and it's always on.

I dropped my key chain (very heavy with about 20 keys) once on top of my MBP with the invisishield on and made several sharp gouges (but, not a tare) on the invisishield. I was sure that I did damage through the MBP skin. A few month later I had to send the MBP for service to Apple and took the invisishield off and guess what..? No damage. The gouge on the invisishield was still there but the MBP aluminum skin was perfect! It's worth every penny and makes it look even more beautiful, even though it reminds you of plastic covered couch. :D And invisishield sent me a new one when I got the MBP back. Isn't life great!

Cybergypsy
Feb 15, 2008, 10:30 AM

Anyways Here are the pics. Sorry about the quality on the close-ups (I took it with iPhone)Thank you for posting pics, it not that bad but think i will get a sleeve and the wrist area....thanks again :)

PDE
Feb 15, 2008, 11:13 AM
Hopefully MOSHI will come out with a good palmrest and trackpad protector - they're great, last forever and are barely visible. Highly recommended.

ddd269
Feb 15, 2008, 11:15 AM
Thank you for posting pics, it not that bad but think i will get a sleeve and the wrist area....thanks again :)

If you're looking for a sleeve... consider this. I got one and works and looks great. I posted some pictures of the sleeve here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=431327&page=2

dahcheet
Feb 15, 2008, 12:00 PM
Thank you for posting pics, it not that bad but think i will get a sleeve and the wrist area....thanks again :)If you're looking for a sleeve... consider this. I got one and works and looks great. I posted some pictures of the sleeve here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=431327&page=2

I think she (?) is waiting to see if I am going to keep my Airmail or not, right Cybergypsy?

I like that sleeve but I don't like the colors it comes in. If there was a plain black I would probably buy one of those too (along with the two other cases I already ordered and are waiting for)

matt4077
Feb 15, 2008, 12:18 PM
I dropped my key chain (very heavy with about 20 keys) once on top of my MBP with the invisishield on and made several sharp gouges (but, not a tare) on the invisishield. I was sure that I did damage through the MBP skin. A few month later I had to send the MBP for service to Apple and took the invisishield off and guess what..? No damage. The gouge on the invisishield was still there but the MBP aluminum skin was perfect! It's worth every penny and makes it look even more beautiful, even though it reminds you of plastic covered couch. :D And invisishield sent me a new one when I got the MBP back. Isn't life great!

Like I said, my Powerbook took a lot of abuse. But 5 years of being thrown around in unprotected bags with lots of other stuff like keys in it haven't resulted in a single visible scratch. I doubt your keychain would have made a scratch.

And honestly I don't really care about scratching anyway. Broken screens, harddrives or ports are a different matter, but I doubt a 1mm plastic cover could protect against those.

Cybergypsy
Feb 15, 2008, 12:19 PM
I think she (?) is waiting to see if I am going to keep my Airmail or not, right Cybergypsy?

I like that sleeve but I don't like the colors it comes in. If there was a plain black I would probably buy one of those too (along with the two other cases I already ordered and are waiting for) That is correct I will be getting my Air I hope in a few weeks, top of the line and FREE!

dahcheet
Feb 15, 2008, 12:27 PM
That is correct I will be getting my Air I hope in a few weeks, top of the line and FREE!

FREE?! HOW?!

off in the wood
Feb 15, 2008, 05:32 PM

Has anyone applied the shield to the trackpad? Does it still work the same? No loss of functioning with the shield on it?

And also, someone else said that their MBA got "fuzzie" does your collect dirt/dust easily?

thinking about getting one, but if it is a dust/dirt magnet...then forget it.

dthree36
Feb 15, 2008, 06:25 PM
I just got the invisible shield in the mail today and after looking at what the pictures look like I am a bit weary about putting this stuff on my MBA. I like the look of the way it is but want to protect the track pad and pal rest area. I guess this might be a dumb question but I have to ask.

Is this thing permanent as in the sense that it will take a great deal of effort to remove? This stuff reminds me of Window tint in the application point of view, does it peal off If I don't like it. Looks like I may turn to E-bay for this thing.

Alfadoc
Feb 15, 2008, 06:43 PM
I took the pictures with maximum reflection so I could show the cover otherwise, it's not as glossy.

btw. You'll appreciate the non-slip feel, which feels a lot more secure than the MBA's cover, which is very slippery.

It's your preference, but in my opinion, it's the best bulk-free protection you can buy. ;)

Nice installation. I ordered from ZAGG for half price, expect it this week. In the crumby environment I work in at the race track, this'll help immensely.

TanToday
Feb 15, 2008, 09:02 PM
I saw this advertised here a few days ago, ordered at the 1/2 price special. It came in today. If you are VERY careful and caring, the installation should take under 1/2 hour, the fit was dead on perfect, the instructions excellent, and went excellently with zero problems.

The finished look is glossy, a slight comedown off the sheen of the aluminum, BUT, I have sold some used Apple laptops on Ebay after using them for a few years, and I can tell you, a PRISTINE perfect finish on a used one almost brings in 1/3 more on resale, all other things being equal. Given that this is a high end machine { in price, not performance } the buyers will most likely be the kind to trade it in, or hand it off in a year or so, buying the newest gizmo, so the resale pricing is pretty impressive.

Yes, it does demonstrably increase the "gripping" and it is WAY less likely to slide out of your hands or off a pile of things, not as "slippery" as the brushed aluminum.

All in all, I'm VERY pleased, and I actually might end up liking the glossier look better, well, at least as much as the standard finish. Photo's make it look MUCH more "wet look" than it does in real life.

You can see it here on my Mac Album page.

Shots in my Mac Gallery Page (http://gallery.mac.com/mayorloz#100133)

dthree36
Feb 15, 2008, 10:12 PM
OK, after reading the negative post, I was just about to get rid of shield and be done with it but I did ask myself the question that some may not want to answer honestly. "Can I live with scratches that I could have prevented." Yes, I have heard the analogy about the car and the first scratch but that is a big surface to try to protect. I did drop over 3k on my MBA so I answered my own question. No I can't. I wear a watch and bracelet so I am bound to scratch the palm rest soon enough over time. The exterior is something I can protect, or at least try. I have a daughter who just ran up and grabbed my screen and as most kids her age often have, her hands were sticky and dirty form a snack.

I took the plunge and you know what, the shine factor isn't that bad. You will see the shine if you have it under bright lights and are up close but from more than 3 feet, I can hardly tell.

As for the bottom piece, I just sent an e-mail to customer support because mine was also upside down. I am sure hey will send me the correct piece and honestly I can't wait. I did make myself a deal that I would to do what I could to enjoy my purchase the best I could. That means protecting it as well as using it.

This product is definitely not for everyone, but if you do want added protection from various elements It isn't bad. I lucked out because I purchased when the full body kit was only $27 but I had already purchase a $59 dollar bag so for some that is more then they want to spend on case protection. Will this suffice as the only protection? For some maybe, IT is an added convenience for moving your Air from location to location when you won't be hauling anything but the laptop. You won't need a second item to remember to take with you such as one of those cool air mail folders.

To each his own. If you want to try it, then do so, if not then find something that makes you happy. After all it is your money so make the purchase that works for you.

macsimonwoo
Feb 16, 2008, 02:04 PM
oh no..invisible shield no more 50% discount...what can I get a discount for IS for MBA?? anybody can help? thanks!

mctheriot
Feb 16, 2008, 03:45 PM
Installed mine today - not bad at all! (don't ask for pics as it just won't work - makes it look shinier than it really is.) It adds a touch of gloss to the look but not too bad for me.

Product quality is excellent with a great fit. Take your time, use plenty of the lube and start from the center of each piece and work your way to the center as you're removing fluid and bubbles. Ensure you also use the lube on the outside as you squeegee so you don't "pull" on the piece and draw it off center.

Mark

christof
Feb 16, 2008, 06:16 PM
Has anyone applied the shield to the trackpad? Does it still work the same? No loss of functioning with the shield on it?

And also, someone else said that their MBA got "fuzzie" does your collect dirt/dust easily?

thinking about getting one, but if it is a dust/dirt magnet...then forget it.
The trackpad works great with the invisibleSHIELD. I think the only thing I notice is that the button is a bit harder to push--maybe I'm just not used to the smaller trackpad button. Alas, I use a Bluetooth mouse (Kensington SlimBlade Trackball) and use tap/multitouch gestures on the trackpad to minimize the use of the trackpad button.

I don't believe that the MBA attracts that much fuzz, but it's my understanding that over time, the edges/seams of the invisibleSHIELD may be prone to collecting some lint. I noticed this with my iPhone invisibleSHIELD.

It isn't a magnet, and it's not like lint is stuck on the machine--you can easily wipe it clean with a damp cloth. The only area of concern later on may be the edges/seams of the invisibleSHIELD, where (naturally) lint may collect.

larryj
Feb 16, 2008, 09:22 PM
I don't believe that the MBA attracts that much fuzz, but it's my understanding that over time, the edges/seams of the invisibleSHIELD may be prone to collecting some lint. I noticed this with my iPhone invisibleSHIELD.

I have a 'bestskinsever.com' skin on my iPhone and the edges are looking pretty nasty. I guess it's better than scratches, but I was suprised that the edges (around the curves on the corners) have started to 'unstick' and collect pocket dust. Every other part of the phone looks great.

But I wish I had ordered the invisibleSHIELD for the MBA when it was cheaper. I think I'd rather go with a skin vs. a case.

ddd269
Feb 17, 2008, 01:41 AM
I'm glad you guys took the "plunge" and gave the invisishield a try. I'm telling you, it's a nice product! I have purchased about 10 shields from them for different products, and been happy with every one of them.

Resale factor, like one post above... big plus!

Anyways, I'm glad there are some positive posts from the skeptics. Welcome aboard... You'll now understand the beauty of this product and why it's so effective. You never have to make a conscious effort to protect it, because it's always on!

Enjoy!

And for those with negative comments without trying it... Shut it until you try it. If you're not happy after you try it, then you can be free to post what ever you want.

macsimonwoo
Feb 17, 2008, 12:38 PM
i wonder when is the next discount???really want to get one of this...gosh..

mykoljay
Feb 17, 2008, 09:04 PM
I got mine in friday and installed the top skin. I think it still looks great and again, it makes me feel less freaked out all the time and the grip is better.

Furthermore, they bottom skin was cut incorrectly (it was backwards). I guess they had a bad batch. I'll call them on monday and hopefully they will send it out a replacement soon.

I'm a big fan of these products. I used bestskinever.com (much cheaper) for my ipod, camera screen and moto q (but they dont have the air yet) and I got to take advantage of the 50% off coupon.

ddd269
Feb 18, 2008, 09:22 AM
I got mine in friday and installed the top skin. I think it still looks great and again, it makes me feel less freaked out all the time and the grip is better.

Furthermore, they bottom skin was cut incorrectly (it was backwards). I guess they had a bad batch. I'll call them on monday and hopefully they will send it out a replacement soon.

I had the same problem. They sent me a new set in 3 days, no questions asked. :D

When you install the bottom skin, make sure you line up the screw holes well for future servicing.

Enjoy!

lewisozz
Feb 18, 2008, 09:47 AM
OMG !!!! I had a mba for a week now and i just got my first scratch :(:(:( I CANT BELIVE IT !!!! PLEASE HELP ME http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=436769

joegomolski
Feb 18, 2008, 10:55 AM
One question. Do you think that heat from the MBA will dissipate slower with the shield on?

Cybergypsy
Feb 18, 2008, 11:36 AM
FREE?! HOW?!
lol....if i told you you would not believe me:)

TanToday
Feb 21, 2008, 07:21 PM
One question. Do you think that heat from the MBA will dissipate slower with the shield on?

I can tell you the answer is YES, without the Invisheild, under a full load task like recoding video's the machine would get to around 53C with fan at 4800-5500 Rpm, with the IVS installed, it does act as an insulator to some degree, and the same task now puts the temp up to around 78C with the fan maxing out at 6200 Rpm. This is true even if you raise the case up in the rear as I did with a 1/2" eraser under the rear. The ambient temperature in both cases was around 69F.

I was somewhat concerned that maybe I should remove some of the IVS around the hottest part, where the processor is located, but decided against that, given that I do very little recoding with the MBA, having an iMac 2.2 24" Late 2007, for the heavy duty work, and was really just seeing if the littleboy COULD handle some heavy lifting , which it did quite nicely.

xpisnotforme
Feb 21, 2008, 09:01 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAA

joegomolski
Feb 21, 2008, 09:47 PM
I can tell you the answer is YES, without the Invisheild, under a full load task like recoding video's the machine would get to around 53C with fan at 4800-5500 Rpm, with the IVS installed, it does act as an insulator to some degree, and the same task now puts the temp up to around 78C with the fan maxing out at 6200 Rpm. This is true even if you raise the case up in the rear as I did with a 1/2" eraser under the rear. The ambient temperature in both cases was around 69F.

I was somewhat concerned that maybe I should remove some of the IVS around the hottest part, where the processor is located, but decided against that, given that I do very little recoding with the MBA, having an iMac 2.2 24" Late 2007, for the heavy duty work, and was really just seeing if the littleboy COULD handle some heavy lifting , which it did quite nicely.

Thanks for the info. I think, for me too, that the protection is more important than running jobs that are better suited for my Mac Pro.

That's why I don't recommend the MBA as one's only Mac.

fk51785
Feb 22, 2008, 06:50 PM
I received mine today. Just finished applying it.
I love it. The MBA looks great with the Invisibleshield on.
But I think the film for the top is little big.
For the bottom it fits perfect and also for the wrist rest fits well also.
I am very satisfied with IS.

mike000
May 29, 2008, 07:20 PM
i've noticed the film was a little big on the top cover of the MBA too. Anyone experience it going a little off the top or bottom edge of the MBA?

weeyao
May 29, 2008, 09:12 PM
i've noticed the film was a little big on the top cover of the MBA too. Anyone experience it going a little off the top or bottom edge of the MBA?

Was told by a guru in IS applications that the best thing to do is to carefully trim away the top cover's edges so that it fits the MBA with a small margin to prevent dirt and stuff getting trapped under....
Mine was done by him and I am pleased with the results.

meagain
Jun 21, 2008, 02:44 PM
I just received my full-body Invisible Shield.

1. I notice on mine, the keyboard area has 'wings' that go all the way to the top with a hole for the power button AND sink into the keyboard valley a bit. The pics I see above don't show that. Did they change the design or were the top pieces that extend to the lid cut off?

2. The bottom piece's holes seem cut short. I don't see how some of the screw holes will fit especially the 2 rear. The Shield seems to come a bit to close on the sides of the vent also. I think I should cut some away.
Will this stretch or did I get a bad one. I almost feel I should unscrew the screws, install, then screw the screws down. Else I'll have to enlarge the screwholes? Any advise on this?

3. The top piece seems too big and there is a small jog in the cut. I'm unclear what's the best way to cut this back a bit. Carefully with scissors or a one-shot cut with a blade. I'm leaning towards the scissors. I should do this before applying? Yes?

I do think for a total of $63 bucks, I'd like to see more precision. I'm having 2nd thoughts on putting this on. I guess many have and are happy after it's done though. I'm ambivalent.

How hard is it to take off and will it hurt my Air in anyway to remove?

meagain
Jun 21, 2008, 06:16 PM
Nevermind - i put the bottom piece on and everything worked out. The wrist rest area was the hardest. I have no bubbles but lots of streaks on the bottom so we'll see if they come out. Tomorrow will do the lid which I'm terrified of doing. I'm so going to skin my iPhone. I think it looks nice. I only see the shine if there's a lamp near it.

mdwsta4
Jun 21, 2008, 08:35 PM
it's not an Air, but i put an IS on my MBP. i love their product and have used it on all of my ipods and a number of friend's ipods. i just put mine on the bottom to protect from anymore scratches (from airport bins mostly). don't really like the glossy look on matte finished aluminum, but you can't see it when i set my laptop up so it doesn't matter. and like it's been said earlier, the 'gripiness' feels nice so it doesn't slip out of your hands. my dad plans on doing the same for his Air.

http://images33.fotki.com/v1185/photos/5/51621/396461/IMG_0700-vi.jpg

http://images35.fotki.com/v1164/photos/5/51621/396461/IMG_0698-vi.jpg

http://images34.fotki.com/v1194/photos/5/51621/396461/IMG_0699-vi.jpg

hope it's alright that i posted MBP and not MBA pictures.

meagain
Jun 21, 2008, 08:46 PM
Nice pics. I'm still debating over putting it on the lid. I better. My goal is to keep it nice for resale so I can upgrade sooner rather than later.
I do fear peeling it off if needed though. The lid is so thin and I fear this takes a lot of force to remove.

NC MacGuy
Jun 21, 2008, 09:04 PM
Nice pics. I'm still debating over putting it on the lid. I better. My goal is to keep it nice for resale so I can upgrade sooner rather than later.
I do fear peeling it off if needed though. The lid is so thin and I fear this takes a lot of force to remove.

I did just the opposite. I put mine on top so it doesn't get scratched and it works fine and peels off pretty easily when need be. Bottom is naked. You do have to "work" the corners in to stick when installing.

janph76
Jun 22, 2008, 09:18 PM
Installed it a week ago on MBA. It looks good and totally worth it. I don't have to worry about scratching my MBA now. If you want to keep your MBA in good condition you should consider getting it. Also I think it doesn't look that bad! and actually look kinda nice.