Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acklikesmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
I almost bought ATV today...

Ok here is my plan, someone pleeeaase tell me if it will work.

I have a MBP with a 120gig (small) HD. I'd like to start ripping/encoding/archiving all my video/dvd media content to external drives connected via usb or external drives connected to my AEBS.

I can then add iTunes compatible media from these drives to my library (but not copy to my MBP hard drive itunes folder).

THEN i sync videos (videos only) with MBP iTunes library to AppleTV Take 2. AppleTV Take 2 then copies everything locally to its own HD. Now i should be able to access this stuff even though my MBP isn't connected to the network.

My question is that if i "un-sync" it will it delete everything? what are the complications here.

Basically, i want a little more independnce with my AppleTV take 2 from my MBP. Like if i turned my MBP off or i took my ATV take 2 to a friends house to watch a movie? (i could do this on my iphone, but ATV is so small and holds so much).

Does this make sense? It's bugging me because it's making me think i should get the 160gig version (i wanna "stream" as little as possible)

Or should ijust get a mac mini??? AHH!

Thanks very much in advance for any replies. It's killin' me

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I almost bought ATV today...

Ok here is my plan, someone pleeeaase tell me if it will work.

I have a MBP with a 120gig (small) HD. I'd like to start ripping/encoding/archiving all my video/dvd media content to external drives connected via usb or external drives connected to my AEBS.

I can then add iTunes compatible media from these drives to my library (but not copy to my MBP hard drive itunes folder).

THEN i sync videos (videos only) with MBP iTunes library to AppleTV Take 2. AppleTV Take 2 then copies everything locally to its own HD. Now i should be able to access this stuff even though my MBP isn't connected to the network.

My question is that if i "un-sync" it will it delete everything? what are the complications here.

Basically, i want a little more independnce with my AppleTV take 2 from my MBP. Like if i turned my MBP off or i took my ATV take 2 to a friends house to watch a movie? (i could do this on my iphone, but ATV is so small and holds so much).

Does this make sense? It's bugging me because it's making me think i should get the 160gig version (i wanna "stream" as little as possible)

Or should ijust get a mac mini??? AHH!

Thanks very much in advance for any replies. It's killin' me

If you turn off sync, it will erase everything and start new when you re-sync. You should leave everything as-is. Since they're on the ATV, you don't need your computer on. So, you should be able to take it wherever you like.

This is the same setup that I use. I keep the bulk of my movies and shows on an external drive. They're added to iTunes, but not copied. I bought the original 40GB, but didn't want to have to stream my shows and movies, so I upgraded it myself to a 160GB. Just before the Take 2 was supposed to come out, the 160 started making some unnatural sounds, so I upgraded it to a 250GB (the 160GB's going back to Seagate).

adrianseto

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
gr8tfly... seems like you are very knowledgeable in this area!! :)

I would like to confirm... so if you buy a TV show via ATV and sync with your Mac it will copy it over to your itunes. And then when you unsync, it will be deleted off the ATV and kept on the Mac's itunes, right? No way to keep the copy purchased on ATV on the ATV HD and not on the Mac's itunes?

If that is true then only way to keep it on ATV is to never sync it, right?

Also, how did you upgrade to 250G?

Thanks!!
Adrian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.