PDA

View Full Version : Just got a powerbook G4 12"

shoppy
Feb 14, 2008, 12:13 AM
After being away on a exercise for the last few weeks out in the wilderness and only having my ipod. I decided to buy a new laptop, I considered the macbook air, but I needed a optical drive. I purchased a black book then cancelled when I found a powerbook G4. Actually runs ok on 512 ram, I am quite gob smacked.

heatmiser
Feb 14, 2008, 12:16 AM
Exercise? Like a hike/camping trip, or a military thing? Congrats on the PB; post pictures if you can. I always like looking at those ones.

skyrider007
Feb 14, 2008, 02:29 AM
Show us some pics!

DavoMrMac
Feb 14, 2008, 09:17 AM
I still kept hold of my 12-incher :D (excuse the pun).

No really, it is a superb machine, feels very well made, congrats on your new purchase!

shoppy
Feb 14, 2008, 09:45 AM
Yes that is a Military exercise and it was freezing cold. Thanks for all the congrats, it's great I used to have these when they used to be sold, it is so nice to get back to a 12". I will post photos when I get home.

Ryox
Feb 14, 2008, 09:57 AM
lol 2nd I got a 12" PB thread today :P
Welcome to the club, I adore mine. Such a wonderful machine.
Mine has a
1.5 GHz G4
1.25GB RAM
100GB 7200rpm HD
Superdrive
:D

shoppy
Feb 14, 2008, 11:36 AM
Here are some photos as promised. Next to my 17" MBP it is like a baby. I am loving the size, now just need a macbook pro this size and I will pay no matter how much it costs.

bigbadnewill
Feb 14, 2008, 11:38 AM
:eek: Wow, that does make the MBP look HUGE!!!! I love the look of the PB's, they're styled great!

Hope you enjoy it!!

a4abt
Feb 14, 2008, 11:43 AM
Congrats!

The PB looks very small compared to the MBP :p

Azmordean
Feb 14, 2008, 11:43 AM
Hmmm.. this thread makes me think twice about my plan.

I currently have a single 1.8 G5 I use at home and a last-generation 12" PB I use when traveling. Its been a really good setup over the last several years. But part of me is contemplating getting a new 15" MBP when they update them, and replacing all of the above with it. I'm kind of tired of having multiple comps and having to sync up my "digital life" (photos, music, etc) all the time. Inevitably, I run into "oops, that song is only on my desktop" or "oops, those photos are only on my laptop."

This thread reminds me of just how good 12" PBs are though. Course the upshot is I could probably still sell it for a decent amount.

JWest
Feb 14, 2008, 12:06 PM
Why won't Apple just get it through their heads that we want a 12" MBP (or at the very least a 13")?

jameskohn
Feb 14, 2008, 12:24 PM
13" would be perfect: 12" just a bit too small for spreadsheets, etc. I had high hopes for a 13" MBP going in to MWSF, but after MBA it ain't gonna happen. MBA is great, I love it, but you can never have too much processor power. 13" MBP (still) my dream.

ickystay
Feb 14, 2008, 04:07 PM
Nice comparison shots!

Now you need a 15"er and 3 bears.

The thingy under the MBP kind of makes it look boxier than it really is.

iToaster
Feb 14, 2008, 04:16 PM
I can't tell you enough how much I envy you. The 12" PB is a great machine, if only I could find a good one on eBay.

MacDonaldsd
Feb 14, 2008, 05:00 PM
I have a PowerBook G4 12" as well, which I use at uni.

Its a lovely little machine, just wish it was a bit snappier, but as its a second machine it is fine for me. All depends on what you use it for I suppose.

Its a really nice size, and like other people have said its nicely built too.

Congrats :D

rishi13
Feb 16, 2008, 09:43 AM
I just bought a 12" Powerbook last week as a temporary computer until the new MBP's come out. After using this over the past week, I am considering just keeping it until October when my student developer hardware discount expires. I just can't get over how small and portable this thing is! I think I got a pretty good deal on this Powerbook! I bought it for $600 and it is pristine condition, came with the original box, etc., and it is still under Applecare until 2/09! If I do end up selling it, I will post the eBay link for those who really want to purchase a nice PB!

xraydoc
Feb 16, 2008, 10:09 AM
I have a 1.33GHz 12" PBG4 which I've upgraded to 1.25GB (max) RAM. It runs Leopard quite reasonably as well as productivity apps such as Office 2004, iWork, Nisus Writer Express, etc.

My oldest daughter (9 yrs old) had been using it for web surfing and such, and when I decided that my MacBook Pro simply had too big of a footprint, I began using the 12" PB again. Its really nice, and I'd probably still be using it except I need Windows compatibility and Virtual PC just doesn't cut it (periodically need dual screen extended desktop, which VPC doesn't do). But the size is still fantastic.

So in the end, it was a MacBook for me, but like most older Macs, the 12" PBG4 is still a great machine.

rhyx
Feb 16, 2008, 01:24 PM
I still love my 1.0Ghz/1.25GB 12" PB.

It's a bit slow for nowadays but I'm holding out for a new 15" MBP.

catchdry
Feb 16, 2008, 01:37 PM
Still got my 12" but with kernel panics daily...
Been waiting for a similar mac but MacBook Air was a disappointment.
I think the Air is Apples way of saying that the 12" PowerBook will not be replaced.

So now I am waiting for a new MacBook Pro. But it looks like I have to be patient... Thuesdays is an eternal disappointment!