Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Udinpetot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
guys...., can any1 help me?
i got a problem..
when i was installing xp with bootcamp
the computer restarted (after i chose my paition and copy some files)
then i eject the disc, however it cannot boot from the partially installed disk..
it said disk error, please press any key to restart
any1 expiriencing the same problem?

thx..

mshin.mac.pro

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
Sounds like you didn't complete the installation of XP. The installation of XP typically reboots and continues copying files from the CD. You probably didn't let that process finish.

Since Bootcamp temporarily sets the default boot disk to the Bootcamp partition, you're unable to boot up the computer...

Turn off the machine, then hold the mouse key down while you turn on the machine. Put the XP cd back into the drive and boot from the CD and re-install Windows. (Make sure you select the correct partition [should be C:]!)

smirkingboy

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2007
Sounds like you didn't complete the installation of XP. The installation of XP typically reboots and continues copying files from the CD. You probably didn't let that process finish.

Since Bootcamp temporarily sets the default boot disk to the Bootcamp partition, you're unable to boot up the computer...

Turn off the machine, then hold the mouse key down while you turn on the machine. Put the XP cd back into the drive and boot from the CD and re-install Windows. (Make sure you select the correct partition [should be C:]!)

this sounds promising. i'm getting the same problem.

the problem is, when i reboot from the win xp disc, it's like i'm starting all over. it won't complete the install. i can reformat the drive (i'm putting win xp on it's own drive) and start over, but when it reboots, i'm back to square one. any ideas?

mshin.mac.pro

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
Here's what should happen after you start the Windows Installer:

1. You select the drive & partition (I assume you did this successfully)

2. Then you format the selected partition using NTFS

3. Windows Installer prepares the partition and begins copying minimal Windows configuration files in preparation to reboot from the newly prepared partition.

This is where it gets dicey...

You should still have the Windows CD in the drive at this point and you'll get a black screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD" for a few seconds. At this point you should let the prompt timeout and hopefully the machine will go on to the default HD boot drive (Windows Partition in this instance).

4. Windows installer then continues to copy the remaining files and should complete setup.

If any of those steps did not complete, you'll have to start over. And it sound like your CD may be scratched or something to that effect. This is just a guess since you did not mention any error messages.

If you can still boot into OSX I recommend using Disk Utility to image copy the CD and burn it using the same drive you use to install Windows...

smirkingboy

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2007
4. Windows installer then continues to copy the remaining files and should complete setup.

If any of those steps did not complete, you'll have to start over. And it sound like your CD may be scratched or something to that effect. This is just a guess since you did not mention any error messages.

If you can still boot into OSX I recommend using Disk Utility to image copy the CD and burn it using the same drive you use to install Windows...

Yeah, tried this too. It's definitely not a problem with the installer CD. When it gets to the reboot, I wait through the "press any key to boot from cd..." message, then i get the disk error again. seriously, i've killed days on this.

i'm just going to run parallels only i guess. if anyone has any other ideas about what might be the prob, that would be great. otherwise, i guess a $4000 brand new machine can't do what my imac and macbook pro have no problem with? makes no sense at all i say.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Yeah, tried this too. It's definitely not a problem with the installer CD. When it gets to the reboot, I wait through the "press any key to boot from cd..." message, then i get the disk error again. seriously, i've killed days on this.

i'm just going to run parallels only i guess. if anyone has any other ideas about what might be the prob, that would be great. otherwise, i guess a $4000 brand new machine can't do what my imac and macbook pro have no problem with? makes no sense at all i say.

from the link i posted above

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306504

Neil321

macrumors 68040
The only other thing i can think of is to try and find another disk and see if that
works.I had the same issues as you when trying to install bootcamp drove me
nuts found another disk installed first go.I take your trying to install from the
one disk with sp2 on it ?

smirkingboy

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2007
its weird cos this is a new burn of an image i have used to install windows on another computer. but i do have a winxp sp2 install disc, trying that now. thanks for the attention to my problemo !

smirkingboy

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2007
finally figured it out... sort of...

so what i ended up doing is opening up the mac pro and yanking out all of the drives, including the os x system drive that shipped with the computer. i then put the drive i was attempting to put windows on into the bay #1 position. then went through the install as before, this time it worked all golden-like. just thought i'd follow up in case someone finds this thread who was having the same problem as me. :)

MacNubbie

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
The only other thing i can think of is to try and find another disk and see if that
works.I had the same issues as you when trying to install bootcamp drove me
nuts found another disk installed first go.I take your trying to install from the
one disk with sp2 on it ?

Hi Neil321,

I am using the one disk with SP2... does that not work? Cos i was not given an option to format my partition... which is weird... pls advice... ty...:confused:

MacNubbie

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
Have you followed the guide in the links i posted ? i am at work at the moment so don't have access
to a Mac

Thanks Neil321 for the fast reply... yeh i have tried... but the xp installation cd i am using only lets me chooses which partition to install and jumps straight into installation. The links suggests that the error would be caused by not formatting... now... i can't format from the cd... so is there a problem with my cd?

Thanks for taking time off work to reply... your help is VERY much appriciated...

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Thanks Neil321 for the fast reply... yeh i have tried... but the xp installation cd i am using only lets me chooses which partition to install and jumps straight into installation. The links suggests that the error would be caused by not formatting... now... i can't format from the cd... so is there a problem with my cd?

Thanks for taking time off work to reply... your help is VERY much appriciated...

I'll have to try and help later as it's difficult at present sorry

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
The Windows XP Corporate version doesn't let you reformat the partition. They don't work in Bootcamp and you will get the above mentioned error. So my guess is you used such a version.

MacNubbie

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
The Windows XP Corporate version doesn't let you reformat the partition. They don't work in Bootcamp and you will get the above mentioned error. So my guess is you used such a version.

Hi Veldek,

I am pretty sure I am using windows xp pro sp2... but thanks for your advice... I think my best bet now is to get another installation cd...:D

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Hi Veldek,

I am pretty sure I am using windows xp pro sp2... but thanks for your advice... I think my best bet now is to get another installation cd...:D
Of course you do, it might still be Windows XP Pro SP2 Corporate Edition ;). Another installation disc is indeed your best bet in this case, if you have one.

MacNubbie

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
Of course you do, it might still be Windows XP Pro SP2 Corporate Edition ;). Another installation disc is indeed your best bet in this case, if you have one.

lol.... yeh i am getting another copy off my uni... so wish me luck... will keep u guys updated :D

leftkidney

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009

this is just false - I have installed the corporate edition I have on 7 macs so far with no problems - I never have to register with Microsoft and it never bothers me about activating or WGA - it is a legit Corporate Edition licensed to FORD Motor Company UAW - it is XP Pro SP2

but I just got a new 13" macbook pro and I am having this problem while trying to install windows - I can use the same disc and install windows on my 13" macbook (older 2.0GHz black one) and many other macbooks and 2 macbook pros (1 older silver 2.66GHz and 1 newer unibody) and 3 macmini's (2 old and 1 new with display port) as well as 1 macpro (new 8 core)

but my new 13" macbook pro gives me this message

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.