Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Hey, I guess it's working for Nintendo's Wii.... ;)

http://www.news.com/Microsoft-seeing-Xbox-shortages-in-U.S./2100-1043_3-6230495.html

http://www.news.com/

Microsoft seeing Xbox shortages in U.S.

By Reuters
http://www.news.com/Microsoft-seeing-Xbox-shortages-in-U.S./2100-1043_3-6230495.html

Story last modified Wed Feb 13 16:23:11 PST 2008

Microsoft is seeing shortages of its Xbox 360 video game console in the United States, as the company failed to anticipate strong post-holiday demand, an executive said on Wednesday.

"We are really running short of product here in the United States," Jeff Bell, head of global marketing for Microsoft's games business, said in an interview. "You could say we misjudged demand."

The comments come a day before market research firm NPD is expected to release video game sales data for January. Bell said Microsoft was hoping to "manage expectations."

"We're literally out of stock in many stores. We think this will have an impact on our sales," Bell said. "It may cause the overall industry number to be down a little bit.

"Retailers have been really upset, they are on allocation. It is a lag I think we're seeing in January and that may continue into February, then as spring ramps up, we'll be able to meet that demand."

Microsoft sold nearly 1.3 million Xbox 360 consoles in the United States in December, when the entire video games industry gets a boost from holiday shopping.

The Xbox 360 competes with Nintendo's Wii console, as well as Sony's PlayStation 3.

Story Copyright © 2008 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

Copyright ©1995-2008 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
^^^ around here too, not to mention a lot of used ones available.

MS is starting to get worried from the PS3, so maybe if they create an "artificial" shortage.

I don't believe the whole BS from Nintendo as far as their shortage - they're having trouble getting the slot loading DVD-ROM drive???

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
At the local Walmarts and Best Buy I see stacks of PS3s and Xbox 360s some days, then most of the boxes gone (for both systems, though usually more Xboxes) a few days later, then stocks built back up again. Seems they're selling pretty steadily.

And I never see any Wiis. But I don't care, because I've already got one.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
MuahHhahhahhhHHAHhhhhhaaa haaa *COUGH* *cough* *BullS#!^e* *cough*

OMG! I better run down to any of the local stores to choose from the stockpiles of 360s, before 8 million other people get there before me. :eek:

Microsoft probably counts the replacements as sells. :)

<]=)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thing is there is a big big difference between seeing stacks of boxes and having stock of consoles.

A few local stores near me have for example around 20 ps3 boxes mostly 60GB version, and similar number of 360 elite boxes on display around the shop (long big high shelf).

And yet they have only two PS3 40gb in stock, and one elite 360, and one premium 360 actually in stock to sell.

Just because we see a box does not mean the item is in stock, or if it is - it is certainly not indicative of the level of stock the shop has. Plenty of shops have/had Wii boxes on display but had no stock lasy year too.

None of us truly know the situation. I gave Nintendo the benefit of doubt when all the naysayers were saying they were fabricating the shortages last year, and I see no reason why I should not give microsoft the benefit of doubt here too, until someone proves categorically otherwise.

Just seeing boxes in a shop is not proof.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Thing is there is a big big difference between seeing stacks of boxes and having stock of consoles.

Just seeing boxes in a shop is not proof.

Then what's in the boxes, weighing them down? Small game shops often have empty boxes for display purposes. However, most large retailers don't do that. Generally, if there is a box on the salesfloor, it has a console in it for purchase.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
well it takes some time to ship over the "sitting on the shelf" 360s from continental europe so that might cause some shortages

you know there are only so many consoles they haven't bought

though microsoft does it's best in not advertising here to bring them over to the good old US

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.