Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
Well a am a proud new iPod Touch owner and I have no clue how I could do without it in the future.

At Home:
Account Name:
Yahoo!: Works with no problems.
Work Email: Can receive but can't send.
Home Email: Works with no problems.

At Work:
Account Name:
Work Email: Works with no problems.
Home Email: Can receive but can't send.

At Generic WiFi Hotspot:
Account Name:
Work Email: Can receive but can't send.
Home Email: Can receive but can't send.

Now some specifics about the set-up information.
Work Email: Requires login and password to send email (which is input correctly). Uses port 25 and is not SSL. In the Touch
the SMTP host name already has the ":25" at the end.
Home Email: Just requires password to send receive email. Also uses port 25 and is not SSL. In the Touch the SMTP host name
already has the ":25" at the end.

If someone could help me out with this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
Update

Well here is a little bit of an update. I went to the Krystal (they have free WiFi) and attempted to send an email to my work email but it wouldn't go.

This is going to become pretty annoying considering that the ability to send email's while you are at a hotspot is pretty important to me.

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
Sounds like it could be a security problem, especially if you set up your "works" manually. Check the ports that the email need to come out of. If you use Gmail's client on the touch, the ports are automatically found...if it is some other email client other than ones on the touch (Yahoo, Gmail, AOL), then you may need to do it manually.

You append the port number by putting after the server address with a colon, so:

pop.gmail.com:995

If you already did that, then you will need to see the website for some specific directions provided for "other email clients"...or try and give some more detailed info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.