Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dengar169

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
currently making a documentary for my film class. My question is, how can I make a scene that needs portions of the footage greyed out with parts that are highlighted in FCE? How do I make the hightlight portions follow the certain people in the film while they are walking? Sorry but thats the best way I can explain it. It's a fairly common shot that you see on the news etc all the time. Thanks everybody

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
>> Sorry but thats the best way I can explain it. It's a fairly common shot that you see on the news etc all the time<<

Huh? Could you post a link to an example of what you want to do? I couldn't understand from your description.

-DH

msproductions

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
Waco/Victoria , Texas
currently making a documentary for my film class. My question is, how can I make a scene that needs portions of the footage greyed out with parts that are highlighted in FCE? How do I make the hightlight portions follow the certain people in the film while they are walking? Sorry but thats the best way I can explain it. It's a fairly common shot that you see on the news etc all the time. Thanks everybody

Do mean like most of the video is black & white while only a certain thing is colored, some what like in SinCity?

highjumppudding

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
Shapes

Video Generators>Shapes

Create a shape and overlay it on top of your video clip. Adjust your settings for the shape for size, aspect, etc. Right click your shape layer and change the Composite Mode to I think Multiply?? Check those settings and it should work. You can then Keyframe the Motion and Opacity controls in the Motion tab for the Shape layer.

I have done that effect on my documentary I did in 2006. Check it out at my website in the signature... it's called "The Citation 25: Rockumentary".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.