Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
I just had a strange shutdown on my PowerBook. I was charging my iPod Touch and surfing the web and it just went blank. Well I plug up my power adapter for my PowerBook and it starts comes up to a gray screen (resume screen from when you let your battery totally die). The only thing is that I looking at the battery to see how much charge was there (87%).

Any ideas on what this could be? I am running 10.5.2 (all updates installed), at the time I had 2 users logged in (Regular login and my Touch login).

Christopher

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Sounds like either a PMU problem, a DC-DC board problem, a batter, disconnect, or a defective Battery.

Reset the PMU and see if that helps.

TEG

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
And Again

Well it just did it again. This time I was copying a movie to it. I have reset the pmu so I will just have to see what is going to happen. Attached is a screen caputre that I got from coconutbattery, it seems a little concerning to me.

Christopher

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 624

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
And again

Well my battery just died again. This time it was telling me that I had just under 3 hours left on the battery and the "battery lights" were showing full scale. I have reset the pmu but that hasn't seemed to have helped any. I am going to set up an appointment at the apple store and see what they tell me. I have loved this machine but there have been some really annoying problems with it in the last 6 months.

honeycrisp

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
I just had a strange shutdown on my PowerBook. I was charging my iPod Touch and surfing the web and it just went blank. Well I plug up my power adapter for my PowerBook and it starts comes up to a gray screen (resume screen from when you let your battery totally die). The only thing is that I looking at the battery to see how much charge was there (87%).

Any ideas on what this could be? I am running 10.5.2 (all updates installed), at the time I had 2 users logged in (Regular login and my Touch login).

Christopher

Time to upgrade baybee!

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
Well I didn't get to make it to the Apple Store this past Sunday (2 hour drive one way) so I am going to go this Sunday.

I have had a new and interesting thing pop up. This time my PowerBook was discharged down to the "Grey Screen", I hit the button on the battery and it just did the fast blink saying that it was almost fully discharged. Well I plug it up and the computer resumes and tells me that it is going to take 28 minutes to recharge my battery. Well I am not sure how long it usually takes to fully charge the battery but I know it takes longer than that. Well about 5 minutes into the charge I look at the blinking lights on the battery and it is flashing the fourth led, so it is almost charged. It is now flashing the fifth led with 15 minutes left to reach full charge.

This thing is really getting annoying, I can't used my PowerBook for more than 20 minutes without it being plugged up.

Christopher

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
Well this past Sunday I was able to make it down to the Apple Store and the verdict on the strange shutdowns is that the battery was holding at 600 while it was fully charged.

Well he replaced the battery and I started telling him about some other problems that I was having and he said well it sounds like you have a logic board problem. So it is off at a repair facility getting everything looked at.

Christopher

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
Well I got my PowerBook back last Friday, but when I opened the box I noticed that it was rather dirty. Well dirt isn't a big deal, it can be cleaned off pretty easily. But when I got to looking at it closer there were some pretty bad scratches that we not there when I sent it off to AppleCare. I was pissed, I called up AppleCare and talked to someone about it. They told me that they would be glad to send me out a box to ship it back to them in, and if they felt they needed to change the case they would.

If I get my PowerBook back and the case hasn't been replaced I will be going postal on someone at AppleCare.

CM

DSC_0873.jpg
DSC_0875.jpg

DSC_0884.jpg
DSC_0889.jpg

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
Well my PowerBook made it back in today. I just broke open the box and they have replaced every piece of the case except the inside piece that is on the same level as the keyboard and the ram cover. It looks nice and new again, AppleCare has redeemed themselves.

Christopher

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.