PDA

View Full Version : ibookG4 something blocking the power flow?

SABmacuser
Feb 14, 2008, 01:02 PM
Well when I plugged in my power adapter today the tip of the power cord (the goldish thing coming out of the silver hole) seems to have broken off and gotten stuck in the slot. :eek: Is there any way to remove it? my ibook will charge but only if it is tightly secured in the slot...:( Its also making a strange whirring noise now.... thanks any more information is appreciated.

TEG
Feb 14, 2008, 01:04 PM
Sounds like you'll need to replace the DC-DC board and the power adapter. The port is two small to be able to extract it without dammaging the port.

TEG

Reflow
Feb 14, 2008, 02:05 PM
Order yourself a new power supply and replace the DC board which is very easy to do.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBook-G4-14-Inch/DC-In-Board/84/8/

jrego42
Feb 15, 2008, 03:15 PM
I fixed the same problem on a friend's laptop a while back. I couldn't think of any way to extract the pin from the outside of the laptop, but if you're not afraid to crack the case, the power jack is not sealed at the back. There are a couple slots that you can stick a paperclip in and push the pin back out. Since you'd have to remove that board anyway to replace it, it's worth a shot. You will want to buy a new power cord though.

Look for instructions on replacing the hard drive if you can't find anything on removing the DC in board, and just follow the steps until you remove the top case of the laptop (under the keyboard) and you can get at the back of the power jack. Then just use a paperclip or some other small pointy thing to push the tip of the plug back out.