Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
I finally ordered my :apple:TV. I decided to save some $$ and get the 40Gig version. I have about 300 movies that I'll rip and store on an external HD firewired to my iMac ....I'll just stream those and my rentals will be fairly few and far between. I really couldn't see the need for the extra $100 for 160Gig on the :apple:TV.

I have some experience with MacTheRipper and Handbrake for putting movies on my iPhone. I hope the :apple:TV will prove to be just as easy.

Thanks for all the info people have been posting here!! I feel like I made a fairly informed decision. :rolleyes:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
And you ordered one refurbed from Apple for $199?

People are saying that the refurbished ones are all new in box - Apple is trying to get rid of the ones with the older software load.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
I finally ordered my :apple:TV. I decided to save some $$ and get the 40Gig version. I have about 300 movies that I'll rip and store on an external HD firewired to my iMac ....I'll just stream those and my rentals will be fairly few and far between. I really couldn't see the need for the extra $100 for 160Gig on the :apple:TV.

I have some experience with MacTheRipper and Handbrake for putting movies on my iPhone. I hope the :apple:TV will prove to be just as easy.

Thanks for all the info people have been posting here!! I feel like I made a fairly informed decision. :rolleyes:

Great! Welcome to the :apple:TV cult. :D

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
And you ordered one refurbed from Apple for $199?

People are saying that the refurbished ones are all new in box - Apple is trying to get rid of the ones with the older software load.

No, I just bought a new one. Something in my mind makes me wary of anything 'refurbished' .

I'm pretty sure I'll have to update my software when I get it anyway.

Now... Why isn't it here yet????? LOL

naftalim

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Great, let us know how the streaming goes from the external, and if possible how you set it up as I haven't been able to get that working since the update.

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
I am THE man!

I must have some clout with the people at Apple....

4 hours and 6 minutes from making my :apple:TV order to getting the shipping notification!! Granted, it's only the "shipping info transmitted to FedEx" notice, but heck, 4 hours is pretty quick!!

Either that, or Apple must REALLY want me to be their Valentine. :D

Stngray

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Goodyear, AZ
Just ordered mine too. I got the 199 refurb. Figured I'd get out of there cheap, then stumbled across the 1TB Time capsule. So went ahead and preordered that. Looking forward to trying it out.

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Just ordered mine too. I got the 199 refurb. Figured I'd get out of there cheap, then stumbled across the 1TB Time capsule. So went ahead and preordered that. Looking forward to trying it out.

I'm waiting to order the 1T Time Capsule. I'm still not sure if you can use that wireless HD for accessable mass storage AS WELL as backups. Sadly, my AEBS is only 4 months old....I WAS going to use a firewire external HD and my AEBS for Time machine. (what was I thinking, trusting Apple to produce what they promised!?!?) So it'll be eBay for my AEBS, a 1T Time Capsule, and then later, an external firewire HD if I need it.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I bought one a few weeks ago, and I must say you're gonna love it! I love mine a lot. Probably way too much. :) The rental option is very cool- my favorite feature.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Yep. You're going to love it. I think you went right with the 40 GB. I did the same thing back in the summer cause they were more expensive then.

However, 40 still works great for me. I sync music and photos, just because, and then all videos I leave on my Mac's internal and external hard drives. Streaming works beautifully!

Rentals are cool too, but unless you rent lots a day, you do'nt need lots of space. Even a HD one takes up only about 4GB, so there is room for a a few movies to sit on it too until you start watching (and then they delete in 24 hours anyway).

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Yep. You're going to love it. I think you went right with the 40 GB. I did the same thing back in the summer cause they were more expensive then.

However, 40 still works great for me. I sync music and photos, just because, and then all videos I leave on my Mac's internal and external hard drives. Streaming works beautifully!

Rentals are cool too, but unless you rent lots a day, you do'nt need lots of space. Even a HD one takes up only about 4GB, so there is room for a a few movies to sit on it too until you start watching (and then they delete in 24 hours anyway).

THAT'S the part that I'm worried about. My DSL connection only runs about 350Mbs download speed. And, whenever I'm downloading updates etc., it seems to be pretty jerky...so I'm thnking I might be stuck in the "6-8 hour download" range so rentals will be few and far between. I'm hoping that I'm being overly pessimistic and that I'll be able to rent with little problem.

Looks like it'll be here Tuesday from China. :D

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
THAT'S the part that I'm worried about. My DSL connection only runs about 350Mbs download speed. And, whenever I'm downloading updates etc., it seems to be pretty jerky...so I'm thnking I might be stuck in the "6-8 hour download" range so rentals will be few and far between. I'm hoping that I'm being overly pessimistic and that I'll be able to rent with little problem.

Looks like it'll be here Tuesday from China. :D

Hum, well, just try a movie rental sometime and see. the HD ones take about 3-4 hours, for me. I just rent a day ahead, or in the morning, to watch at night.

The standard definition ones I can start watching in about 2 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.