PDA

View Full Version : Your Second Generation Air Wish List?

Alchematron
Feb 14, 2008, 02:55 PM
What is your second generation Air wish list?

Here is mine. Apple are you listening?

Ten, Twelve, and Fifteen inch screen option
Silver or Black aluminum case option
Silver case with silver keys and Black case with black keys
Matte screen option
Thin bezel frame around screen
High Definition screen option
Blu-Ray disc option
Built in EVDO wireless
Stereo Speakers
FireWire
Change name to PowerBook Air

TEG
Feb 14, 2008, 02:57 PM
Firewire
USB 3.0
Wireless USB
Smaller footprint
Matte Screen
Higher Resolution Screen

TEG

clayj
Feb 14, 2008, 03:10 PM
Matte screen option
3G network support
Wireless USB
Higher screen resolution

That's all I really need. Hopefully by then someone will have a wireless USB (or WiFi) hard drive with its own battery built-in, so you can just turn on the hard drive (hard power switch) and the MBA would be able to read and write files wirelessly.

CalMin
Feb 14, 2008, 03:11 PM
You guys want too much. It will never happen.

I want

- 4GB ram option.
- 120GB+ HD
- Penryn

And I don't really care about the Penryn except for battery life. It's taking every ounce of will power not to buy the current version to replace my 12" PowerBook.

mirffy
Feb 14, 2008, 03:16 PM
I know I'm not the first, but gosh Apple!

- Matte Screen
- thin bezel

Anything beyond that would be an added bonus.

Judging by the masses of people constantly whining about wanting either 3G or any other wireless phone inside a laptop: are you all sitting on money, or do you have insanely cheap mobile data plans??

clayj
Feb 14, 2008, 03:24 PM
are you all sitting on money, or do you have insanely cheap mobile data plans??You mean beyond my AT&T iPhone $19.95 a month unlimited data plan? :cool:

ctt1wbw
Feb 14, 2008, 03:51 PM
Well, with flash memory getting smaller and cheaper, hows about dual 128 gig flash drives? I'd rather have that than a cd burner or something. I think the screen is the right size, but with a few other brands getting 1440x900, the Air might, too.

metanoia
Feb 14, 2008, 04:02 PM
Kensington cable lock slot!

ctt1wbw
Feb 14, 2008, 04:04 PM
Kensington cable lock slot!

That would increase the thickness, wouldn't it?

MazingerZ
Feb 14, 2008, 04:07 PM
Only thing I can think of is more memory.

metanoia
Feb 14, 2008, 04:09 PM
That would increase the thickness, wouldn't it?

Mr. Ives can find a way. :)

I3eXa
Feb 14, 2008, 04:43 PM
geez! Can't you people just be happy they created and developed such an item as the MBA or iPhone!?!?! No less than a month and people are already crying about their specs, features, and ideas they wish Apple would have incorporated into their products. Just be happy we have what we have eh?

Consultant
Feb 14, 2008, 04:47 PM
Firewire.

butterfly0fdoom
Feb 14, 2008, 05:08 PM
Some realistic possibilities for the Rev. B MBA:

- 4GB of soldiered RAM
- 64GB SSD going down to $499 at the lowest with a 128GB at $999 (a stretch, but possible, although maybe not in a second generation model)
- 1440x900 LED-backlit screen
- USB 3.0 (if it's finalized in time) and/or Wireless USB
- Tri-band HSPA/UTMS Apple Mobile Internet Adapter (unlikely that there will be space for a SIM card on the inside and not everyone wants HSPA/UTMS)

clayj
Feb 14, 2008, 05:10 PM
- Tri-band HSPA/UTMS Apple Mobile Internet Adapter (unlikely that there will be space for a SIM card on the inside and not everyone wants HSPA/UTMS)I could live with that... a small USB dongle would be ideal. I'd pay $20 a month to have unlimited data to my MBA so I could truly compute anywhere and be free of WiFi.

TuffLuffJimmy
Feb 14, 2008, 05:23 PM
Before I'd buy one it'd need a security slot, two USB ports, FireWire, and a 2ghz processor. I know I'm being greedy now, but I wouldn't be looking to buy one for at least another three years.

pseudonymph
Feb 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
- cheaper SSD (this will come with time anyway)
- thinner bezel

Zorn
Feb 14, 2008, 06:21 PM
My wishes are fairly simple:

160GB drive (already available in this size)
Penryn flavor of the CPU
1440x900 matte screen

Done.

off in the wood
Feb 14, 2008, 06:30 PM
You mean beyond my AT&T iPhone $19.95 a month unlimited data plan? :cool:

I know this isn't related at all to the thread, but could anyone explain thhis to me? I feel like I might be getting dupped, it this is acurate

how is your data plan only $19.95 per month? do you pay as you go? That can't be for unlimited data right?

mac jones
Feb 14, 2008, 06:40 PM
Well this is an odd thread.

Many of you apparently don't like the glossy screen. I didn't like them either until i bought the Air, it's OK.

Second, you can't ADD external ports and things.

the whole point is minimal.

You would **** up the zen....it would fall from sky space. : )

butterfly0fdoom
Feb 14, 2008, 06:52 PM
160GB drive (already available in this size)

Not the correct thickness currently.

JacobC
Feb 14, 2008, 06:55 PM
A different color of keys, black keys remind me of a PC too much

Alchematron
Feb 14, 2008, 07:12 PM
The ability to access the internet anywhere without a bar of soap antenna sticking out the side and no glare on the screen, come on Apple is that asking for too much?:confused:

danuff
Feb 14, 2008, 07:30 PM
* Firewire* 4-5 USB PortsThat's it [for now]* :)-Dan Uff

shuffles
Feb 14, 2008, 07:35 PM
I love it the way it is but im sure that when a newer one comes out ill prob love that one even more.

When ppl ask for a bigger memory,a faster cpu etc it shows that they dont really get wat the macbook air really is and wat it is really for!!! If u want all of those upgrades then the Air is not for u! Maybe a Pro or a normal Macbook! The Air is meant for portability and wirelessness!!

(by the way...im not giving out):cool:

MacTheSpoon
Feb 14, 2008, 08:10 PM
Thinner bezel/smaller footprint (make width of MBA equal to keyboard width)
Replaceable battery
High capacity (10-12 hours) battery option
12" square screen model
10" widescreen model
Round/bevel the front edge a little

dibara2003
Feb 14, 2008, 08:21 PM
edges that aren't sharp :)

Azurael
Feb 14, 2008, 08:21 PM
The biggie: 10" or 12" screen as an option to make people like me, who liked the 12" PB but don't see the point in the MBA happy (As an option because it seems some people actually like a machine that's only actually very slightly more portable in reality than a normal MacBook)

Also important: More USB ports
Not so important, but would be nice: Firewire

That's it.

Although I'd actually prefer a polycarbonate casing like the MacBook, since although the aluminium looks nicer, it dents easily and scratches visibly - not a great idea for me in an ultraportable, since I tend to treat them as useful objects rather than a precious crystal glass.

queshy
Feb 14, 2008, 09:39 PM
-Thinner bezel
-Better battery life
-Another USB port, an ethernet port, and maybe firewire 800.

kanon14
Feb 14, 2008, 10:01 PM
3G
wireless usb
higher capacity battery

profiteor
Feb 15, 2008, 02:29 AM
Choice of 3G carrier
DisplayPort instead of yet-another-proprietary-Apple-display-port OR
2 USB ports, one of which is a DisplayLink port

Actually, probably integrated 3G would fix a lot of things for me.

mirffy
Feb 15, 2008, 03:42 AM
You mean beyond my AT&T iPhone $19.95 a month unlimited data plan? :cool:

Mh, i guess Europe is lagging a bit behind in that regard then *sigh*
But then again, i wouldn't be surprised if Apple just looked at the US market and made design decisions based on that :rolleyes:

Perhaps once the iPhone is introduced in the remaining European countries the data plans will be adapted to include the coveted "feature" of "unlimited data traffic".
Quite sad if you think how a service provider's plan is almost dependant on a certain product :rolleyes:

Roba
Feb 15, 2008, 05:49 AM
At least 2 USB ports in all

An Ethernet port would be nice but i am not to fussed about that.

User replaceable battery and failing that then higher capacity batteries.

The current CPU whatever is around then.

Internal removable ultra thin drive. This would be a good compromise for those who want one and those who don't. You can get some that are about 7mm thick and extremely light weight. I don’t know quite how they did this but I believe that with the Lenovo x300 you can remove the internal dvd drive. Maybe if Apple created something like this so that you could open and the remove the drive if you so wished.

If they don't allow for 4GB of user replaceable ram then at least 2GB of ram on the motherboard and one user replaceable slot.

At least a 120GB HD, 1.8 5400 i believe are available now so i would like to see them use one of those also.

If they did all this i would probably buy one.

headfuzz
Feb 15, 2008, 06:02 AM
Firewire! For the love of God, Firewire!

miniConvert
Feb 15, 2008, 06:07 AM
Just integrate 3G data. Everything else is fine by me... though I wouldn't mind if the length and width of the thing were smaller.

BongoBanger
Feb 15, 2008, 07:06 AM
Mh, i guess Europe is lagging a bit behind in that regard then *sigh*

Uh... The major networks already offer this for £7.50 a month in the UK and have for a while.

As for Air v2.0...

Detachable battery with options for higher cell count
Bigger HDD
Upgradable RAM
More ports (another USB and an ethernet)

That's it really.

mashinhead
Feb 15, 2008, 07:31 AM
cheaper.

mirffy
Feb 15, 2008, 08:25 AM
Uh... The major networks already offer this for £7.50 a month in the UK and have for a while.
Seriously? £7.50 for unlimited data traffic? I rest my case. Austria needs to do something about their data traffic plans (wireless, and landlines) but then again that's nothing new :(

The best we can get here is 15GB for €24 (so that's roughly $35 or £18). And that's from 3, not really known for good service or customer care.

Anyway, to stay on topic of Air 2.0:
Internal removable ultra thin drive.
Chances are they're not going to put the optical drive back in. They just took it out as a "revolutionary move" and the Media will shift more to be downloadable rather than distributed optically.
I find it is a "big" change, but producers will have to start omitting it at some point, so why not start now? Broadband is available in most areas nowadays so it's only the manufacturers that have to switch from optical to downloadable distribution.

I'll gladly take that second USB port too, but for the true travelers I think it'll hardly be required. As people have said, once you get home you can always plug in your USB hubs and enjoy as many ports as you want.

I'd be surprised to see apple "cave in" to the (few) customers demands for a 10 or 12" footprint. They hugely advertised it having a full size keyboard, so why negate that?
I really liked the 12" G4 Powerbook, because they just had the same keyboard in the 12", 15" and 17" Powerbooks. I'm still sceptical though about them offering both a 12" and a 13" Air.

Roba
Feb 15, 2008, 09:01 AM
I don't buy any music online i always buy the CD as i prefer to have the proper hard copy. I also think that the sound quality when you rip from your CD is better as well.

I also have no interest in ripping movies to HD either or downloading films either.

If i started downloading movies anyway from iTunes i would soon be paying a premium to my broadband providers for going over my monthly broaband limit.

I have used usb drives and external dvd drives before on a regular basis before with a laptop i used to own and i found it got on my nerves after a while. I like having everything i need basically in one package with basically very little add on's. Things like a usb modem or ethernet i could live with.

The chasis is big enough to fit in a removable dvd drive. I don't why they should not extend the appeal of this product.

Chances are they're not going to put the optical drive back in. They just took it out as a "revolutionary move" and the Media will shift more to be downloadable rather than distributed optically.
I find it is a "big" change, but producers will have to start omitting it at some point, so why not start now? Broadband is available in most areas nowadays so it's only the manufacturers that have to switch from optical to downloadable distribution.

TheMadBrewer
Feb 15, 2008, 09:49 AM
I'll gladly take that second USB port too, but for the true travelers I think it'll hardly be required. As people have said, once you get home you can always plug in your USB hubs and enjoy as many ports as you want.

+1 on 2nd USB...

If you need to use the superdrive and another USB device at the same time you are SOL -- I have not gotten the super drive to work thru a hub. Don't have a powered hub, but the last thing I need or want (especially with the MBA) is to lug yet another power pack...

I also wouldn't mind a second trackpad button :) -- Hey, I'm a right click kind of guy!

MazingerZ
Feb 15, 2008, 09:51 AM
I also wouldn't mind a second trackpad button :) -- Hey, I'm a right click kind of guy!

Two finger tap is your friend.

tersono
Feb 15, 2008, 09:52 AM
More RAM. Faster CPU. Lower price :D

roland.g
Feb 15, 2008, 09:53 AM

Matte screen option
Blu-Ray disc option
Built in EVDO wireless
Firewire

That is actually kind of funny. Fifteen huh. Case options. Blu-Ray. Ok actually to many absurdities to comment on. Do yourself a favor, get a job with Apple in the design department. Submit your ideas. Have Jonathan Ive tell you personally not to waste his time.

dthree36
Feb 15, 2008, 10:08 AM
I would like wireless USB, 4GB option, and higher screen resolution.

brendanspah764
Feb 16, 2008, 09:14 PM
All I would want is a Silver or Black color option, and an option to go to a 120GB 1.8" 5,400 HD (which is available)

Zwhaler
Feb 16, 2008, 11:56 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/523.15.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Safari/523.15)

- cheaper SSD (this will come with time anyway)
- thinner bezel

Im with you on this one. I am very happy with the air as it is, and I would pick one up if I didn't already have a MacBook... but hey, when my iMac starts getting old... I might just have to splurge :)

steve31
Feb 17, 2008, 12:13 AM
-4GB Ram
-128 GB SSD
- 2 USB
- 2.2 GHZ CPU
- small dedicated GPU
it is a very good first run at a ultra portable. It is a LOT faster than I thought it would be.:D The screen size is perfect for me.

devilot
Feb 17, 2008, 12:28 AM
Without having one in my grubby paws right now (but will hopefully be the case within this next month), meaning I like it in its current state...

At least 2 USB ports in all

An Ethernet port would be nice but i am not to fussed about that.

The current CPU whatever is around then. Yes, yes, and yes. And same goes for whatever is decent RAM and storage space at that time as well.

And yes, it'd be nice if it could be slightly more affordable. ;)

xparaparafreakx
Feb 17, 2008, 12:29 AM
Having my air for a week, I don't see much they can add to make it better. But since it is a wish list:

bigger hard drive
firewire 800 but 400 would be fine too
usb 3.0
graphics card but does not have to be super high end, could be low or mid but not a 3870 or 8800 card.

3G would be nice but should be a BTO for people that do not want to be tied down to a certain provider (cingular, t-mobile, sprint) or tech (UMTS, EV-DO)

I like my air whatever happens because I have a machine that does other things too, MBP 17".

chrisgohcs
Feb 17, 2008, 12:42 AM
more batt life on it. hopefully 11 hrs. like some of the sony series.
haha but its a wish too much i guess.

glennm0270
Feb 17, 2008, 02:37 PM
Given Apple's historical upgrade cycles, I'm hoping to see Rev 2 in the July/August timeframe. My wishlist is oriented on things I speculate would be achievable in that timeframe, involve minimal retooling, still be perceived as upgrades, and also allow Apple to maintain margins.

- 4GB RAM + Penryn 2.1GHz + (faster?) 64GB SSD at current 1.8+SSD price or slightly lower (banking on drop in memory/SSD to offset cost of memory+CPU upgrades)

- Optional 128GB SSD (though it will likely be more expensive...not likely SSD price is going to drop enough in 6 months to allow it to be offered for same price as current 64GB SSD).

- 2 USB ports, or at the very least, a powered USB hub that lets you use the SuperDrive at the same time as the ethernet dongle

While the 2 USB ports may be a tussle...definitely require some retooling both inside and out...I think that the first group would be achievable in the August-ish timeframe. After all, the current CPU is sitting on essentially the same form factor as planned for the Penryn.

The 128GB SSD would also definitely be doable, for those that have the extra cash for it.

Based on the benchmarks I've read, my guess is that a 2.1GHz Penryn+4GB RAM+SSD would put the MBA pretty close to the performance of the lower-end MacBook Pro, but still preserve battery life, heat dissipation, and the lower weight of the MBA.

That's my dream, anyway :)

queshy
Feb 18, 2008, 01:42 AM
built in can opener. common, apple!

iMachine
Feb 18, 2008, 06:55 AM
I'm not lucky enough to own one yet, but top of the list would have to be a second USB port as others have also suggested. Also an 11" widescreen version for those that want a smaller footprint for their 'ultraportable'.

Not essential for me personally but a user-replaceable battery would also make life easier for many users.

boazjoe
Feb 18, 2008, 09:47 AM
I think that a truly ultraportable should be, well, ultraportable. That means no brick. I would gladly pay a little more in weight for a battery life that meant I could run it all day and leave the brick at home. If I am going to have to carry the brick, I might as well have 3 times the machine at less price sitting in my bag.

All the neat features are neat, but when it comes down to actually using the machine, battery life is at the top of the list.

acfusion29
Feb 18, 2008, 11:05 AM

Matte screen option
Blu-Ray disc option
Built in EVDO wireless
Firewire

That's what pisses me off... people want 10 and 12" screens. If apple were to do that, then the inside of the computer would be ****, would be way worse in performance than the current air.

THENNNN people would complain AGAIN saying "why couldn't they put more GHz into this thing blah blah BLAH"

Alchematron
Feb 19, 2008, 09:58 AM
I added Stereo Speakers.

C'mon Apple for 3 grand you can do it!

Matte screen option
Blu-Ray disc option
Built in EVDO wireless
Stereo Speakers
FireWire

barijazz
Feb 19, 2008, 10:55 AM
Faster CPU
Bigger HDD
3G (in some form possibly utilizing iphone's 3G via blue tooth)
Battery add-ons.
Change mag safe. (it will attatch even when the power is not connected)
HD screens for 15" option.
Touch screen.

And a completely new mac. macbook touch (completely tablet). With everything the MBA has.

barijazz
Feb 19, 2008, 10:56 AM
That's what pisses me off... people want 10 and 12" screens. If apple were to do that, then the inside of the computer would be ****, would be way worse in performance than the current air.

THENNNN people would complain AGAIN saying "why couldn't they put more GHz into this thing blah blah BLAH"

He's got a point. Only so much power you can pack into that small a space.

ayeying
Feb 19, 2008, 10:59 AM
I just want more ram (4GB at least?) and a bigger hdd. Thats it, I'm not picky or "OMG I WANT THIS THIS AND THIS OR IMMA KILL MYSELF"

barijazz
Feb 19, 2008, 11:00 AM
I think that a truly ultraportable should be, well, ultraportable. That means no brick. I would gladly pay a little more in weight for a battery life that meant I could run it all day and leave the brick at home. If I am going to have to carry the brick, I might as well have 3 times the machine at less price sitting in my bag.

All the neat features are neat, but when it comes down to actually using the machine, battery life is at the top of the list.

A truely ultra portable should be a tablet. Something that you can work with while you are actually moving (such as walking). For instance a building designer can walk through the build sight and take a look at the plans as well as what is happening. It is very hard to be ultra portable with 2 parts of the laptop.

barijazz
Feb 19, 2008, 11:03 AM
-Thinner bezel
-Better battery life
-Another USB port, an ethernet port, and maybe firewire 800.

It's apple's wireless machine so don't think ethernet will be coming to it... ever. One thin we need is the door for the ports to be removed. The door is much like the disk drives on all pcs. asking to get broken.

benfeibleman
Feb 19, 2008, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=CalMin;4966891]You guys want too much. It will never happen.

I agree, there os only so much you can fit in a small box. How about as ram and processors shrink, we get more power, more ram (4gb) and more space (MTEC just came out iwth 128gb SSD, to ship in april). Add a firewire and another usb and I'll call it good.

BF

kzin
Feb 19, 2008, 11:27 AM
My wishlist:

1) shrink it to an 8" screen size form factor (ie. the EeePC size device)
2) multi-touch touch screen
3) express card slot
4) twist/rotating/swivel screen convertible (so you can use it as a tablet)
5) under $1000 (preferably under $600)

#2 is kinda optional. #1 and #3 are definitely not.

Adokimus
Feb 20, 2008, 12:46 AM
Ok, I'll add mine. But, unlike other's, I'll be reasonable:

Penryn - better battery life and performance per watt.
Larger HDD and SDD options (when they are available in the required size)
4 GB RAM option, even if it must be soldered on
Non-recessed headphone jack
Fixed wireless problems with screen closed

Any other hopes aren't for the 2nd gen... maybe 4th.

kkrull
Feb 20, 2008, 07:38 AM
OLED screen
HD iSight
stereo speakers
MagSafe with wired ethernet (maybe a POE magsafe adapter)

Salty Pirate
Feb 20, 2008, 11:30 PM
15" screen size w/ 1440 x 900 LED
4 GB RAM
Penryn processor
some dedicated graphic chip- it really needs some form of GPU:apple:

zephead
Feb 21, 2008, 12:04 AM

Ehh.. technically it's already a 720p HD screen since 720p is 1280x720 and the MBA is 1280x800.

As for anything else, I couldn't say it any better than this:
Firewire! For the love of God, Firewire!

dannewell15
Feb 21, 2008, 06:34 AM
Two Firewire ports
Dual Bluray Burners
1TB HDD
32GB of RAM
Octo Core Penryn Processor
8800GT

:D

bguillemette6
Feb 21, 2008, 09:05 AM
REV MBA.2 (Shipping 10/15/08)

3G <--- ......a must...... heck it will be 2009 in 6 weeks (yup, Rev 2 at xmass time & 3G networks are almots built to 20% and growing...user picks the network of choice)

Memory max option to 4G <----"must" #2,,should have been included in rev #1

Either better Apple solutions on accessories & their power-sync-connection or 1 additional port via firewire.

Reader/Slot for Flash cards/USB drive's to be plugged in for quick access.

Minor increase in HDD's to 120G SSD...SSD is only HDD versions....no Ipod HDD's

CPU to 2.0 and 2.2...

pbbaker123
Feb 21, 2008, 12:11 PM
I would like a MBA that is slightly thicker, white, and comes with an optical drive...

either that or half as thick and twice the footprint..

okay... you got me...

What I really want is a pro machine without an optical drive built in.

Whorehay
Feb 21, 2008, 01:37 PM
Two Firewire ports
Dual Bluray Burners
1TB HDD
32GB of RAM
Octo Core Penryn Processor
8800GT

:D

In 20 years my friend, in 20 years. Haha.

dannewell15
Feb 22, 2008, 07:01 AM

Along with a hover board please :D

sushi
Feb 22, 2008, 07:50 AM
And in 20 years, when the latest version of the current series laptop is released, some will still complain because it doesn't have this or that. ;)

...some things will never change. :p

marvingaye
Feb 23, 2008, 05:57 PM
If they added firewire, I'd buy one in an instant.

arjunm
Feb 24, 2008, 12:41 PM
Before I'd buy one it'd need a security slot, two USB ports, FireWire, and a 2ghz processor. I know I'm being greedy now, but I wouldn't be looking to buy one for at least another three years.

I hear Apple makes a laptop along those lines. Could be just rumors tho. The say it's called Macbook Pro or so.

SunshinegotaMac
Feb 24, 2008, 06:44 PM
edges that aren't sharp :)

AMEN!!! That's all I need. Edges which remind me more of my iPhone.

thehuhman
Feb 25, 2008, 04:41 PM
I love it the way it is but im sure that when a newer one comes out ill prob love that one even more.

When ppl ask for a bigger memory,a faster cpu etc it shows that they dont really get wat the macbook air really is and wat it is really for!!! If u want all of those upgrades then the Air is not for u! Maybe a Pro or a normal Macbook! The Air is meant for portability and wirelessness!!

(by the way...im not giving out):cool:

I think you have hit on something. Thank you!:)

ipodtouchy333
Feb 25, 2008, 04:53 PM
A cheaper price, then I'll buy one of those babies.

BWhaler
Feb 25, 2008, 06:43 PM
The more I use my Air, the more I love it.

Going from a MBP17 to the MBA has been a great experience because I now take my computer with me more often.

As for next generation:

1. Real battery life of 5-6 hours. (Not the fantasy-land Apple numbers)
2. 4 gigs of memory
3. 128 or 256gig SSD

That's it. Honestly, this computer rocks.

iToaster
Feb 25, 2008, 07:21 PM
I say add a second flip door where the magsafe is with a FW400 port in it. That way when you're on the go you have a flawless looking machine with no visible ports, but plenty ready with a flip of a finger. As well, throw in matte screen, thinner bezel, and maybe 1440x900 on that. Not that I wouldn't buy one now if I had the money.

ravenvii
Feb 26, 2008, 12:05 AM
I say add a second flip door where the magsafe is with a FW400 port in it. That way when you're on the go you have a flawless looking machine with no visible ports, but plenty ready with a flip of a finger. As well, throw in matte screen, thinner bezel, and maybe 1440x900 on that. Not that I wouldn't buy one now if I had the money.

Take this, remove the FW400 (because to be honest, after owning this MBP since June, I haven't used Firewire once), and we have a winner!

canucks-17
Feb 26, 2008, 12:13 AM
- 1 more USB port so that if your Superdrive is plugged in, you have one more.
- A dock to have all the things you want but still keeping the thin form-factor of the MBA.
- Thinner bezel too.
Also, 2GB of memory is fine for what the MBA is made for, it doesn't need 4GB. It isn't supposed to be a photoshop workhorse, but more a travel companion.

robanga
Feb 26, 2008, 12:17 AM
Another vote for integrated 3G modem, preferably AT&T with some sort of bundled data package with your iPhone data plan. Maybe $ 50 a month for both :)

purplewarlock
Feb 26, 2008, 02:25 AM
These two items would cause me to upgrade for sure:

- 3G modem

- better cooling system (so CPU+GPU can run at full speed for extended periods of time)

Arthur Young
Mar 1, 2008, 01:10 AM
I Agree with some of the posters here. Aesthetics is the main point of this laptop. It's sex in a form of a laptop. If all these wishes such as extra usb port and firewire are all added, we'll eventually arrive at a macbook, and then still want more power and arrive at a macbook pro. Everyone wants thin and powerful, but you've got to pick one.

ONE USB is PERFECT. how often do you need to burn something AND plug in other stuff. Just do things one after another because the macbook air's cpu are supposed to do one thing at a time anyways. Nobody needs more than one usb.

Bezel/Form Factor: Yes it does look a bit thick, but they had to choose same form factors as the macbook so that they can order in bulk and save you money. A lot of apple things are this way. If you think about it, An iMac is just a Macbook pro with a stand. They just order twice as many macbook pro hardware and save you a big chunk of money.

Here's what i want tho,
The three most important things about an ultra-portable.

Battery Life - People who love to carry their air's around want to keep it that way. They live untethered.

Wireless- Can't live without internet. It should be accessible 24/7. Not sure what WiMax is, but if it provides access to internet without wireless then thats great.

Sex Appeal - the air was meant to seduce not with specs but with looks. Shove anything that looks sexy into it. Maybe an illuminated touchpad or those absolutely beautiful shiny, Macbook Pro Power buttons or Name plate instead of just an etched symbol or name.i think a dark aluminum, like gun metal aluminum is very sexy.

SodiumBenzoate
Mar 1, 2008, 09:11 PM
-cheaper SSD (will come anyway)
-ethernet jack (optional, but it would be nice)
-one more USB port
-multi-touch screen
-included superdrive (don't have to pay $100 extra for it)

CommodityFetish
Mar 2, 2008, 12:34 PM
Faster penryn processor (2.1?), 4gb ram, bigger/faster HD, matte screen option.

(I basically want MB ballpark specs, with the MBA's ports and no optical drive to save weight. Seems like they could have easily done this by making it slightly thicker... alas, so much to sacrifice to be the thinnest in the world.)

And why in the world didn't Apple include USB port(s) on the external optical drive? Make it a USB hub itself. That would solve that problem in a hurry. :rolleyes:

Cybergypsy
Mar 2, 2008, 01:12 PM
I say just include the super..drive as part of the laptop........Package.

bart rijksen
Mar 2, 2008, 02:07 PM
-More hard drive space: 64Gb SSD for 499 and 128Gb SSD for 999
-Penryn
-Even better wireless
-Better battery life, 7 hours

bananas
Mar 2, 2008, 03:05 PM

Matte screen option
Blu-Ray disc option
Built in EVDO wireless
Stereo Speakers
FireWire

What I'd like to see in MBA and MB is thinner bezel around the display.
Also a second USB port would be fine in MBA, and stereo speakers wouldn't hurt.

Otherwise I'm so pleased with the current model, that I think I'm ordering one any day now.

EDIT: well OK, bigger HD and SSD are doable in the future as well as faster processors, but that's just normal evolution.

dkh412
Mar 10, 2008, 11:46 PM
I want a truly portable machine. 10" matte screen, improved battery life or at the very least user-removable so I could carry a spare when needed. 3G, wifi, and Bluetooth. Firewire would be great, but not a deal breaker. Not looking to replace a MBP or desktop as a workhorse.

I want to whip it out to check e-mail, maybe browse a bit, and do a little work (Office or iWork, plus a few more). For leisure, read an eBook or eMag, listen to some tunes, and watch a movie. 2GB/128GB SSD should do it.

Small, light, efficient. Doesn't need to be blazing fast but shouldn't burn my skin. Inexpensive would be nice, but seems unlikely. :)

Call it the MacBook Air Nano!

kkrull
Mar 11, 2008, 08:02 AM
If I only could have one additional item I think it would be an expresscard slot.

I would like to veto the superdrive as a built in.

conchshell
Mar 13, 2008, 11:43 AM
what would be nice is a semi modular approach so if there can only be three ports you can pop out what is their and switch it for another set of ports. probably not possible though. under a metallic swing panel or something.

AreanFSL
Mar 13, 2008, 12:07 PM
My 2nd gen. wish list consist of..

1) Matte Screen
2) Thinner bezel
3) Run cooler/less fan
4) Quicker Video Card
5) Bigger SSD (Cheaper price w/time)
6) Include superdrive

That is all.

TravisReynolds
Mar 13, 2008, 12:44 PM
I just got a few:

USB
Optical Drive
Ability to power up a screen

Alkiera
Mar 13, 2008, 02:27 PM
I just got a few:

USB
Optical Drive
Ability to power up a screen

Ability to power up a screen? It comes with VGA and DVI out dongles. I've had it hooked up to my 1280x1024 LCD at home. Someone else noted they had it hooked up to a 23" Apple Cinema Display, which is 1900x1200; same as a normal MB.

Unless you mean something else?

Honestly, the only time I've needed an optical drive was when I installed iWork '08, and for that I used the drive in my WinXP desktop shared over the network. I can see the extra USB desire, certainly. Too many of the add-ons want to use it (Bluetooth mice other than the MightyMouse are like hen's teeth, and also not cheap.)

My only real desire would be a 1400x900 screen that went closer to the edges of the laptop. The size of the current MBA is just awesome.

n mitchell
Mar 15, 2008, 01:02 AM
I say just include the super..drive as part of the laptop........Package.

Excellent idea (I assume you're talking about the external one)!

If Apple decided to make a 15 inch MBA, I would get one immediately...

Actually, if they did do that, would that free up enough internal space for a second USB or at least an audio-in port?

iPave
Mar 15, 2008, 04:13 AM

Matte screen option
Blu-Ray disc option
Built in EVDO wireless
Stereo Speakers
FireWire

PLUS

16GB memory
1TB SSD
built in microwave oven
50 gigaherz Core5 Octo
2 year battery life
40 inch screen
floppy drive
change name to PowerBook G22

and price just 500 dollars

iAmLegend
Mar 15, 2008, 09:08 AM
A lower price..so that people might actually buy it.

thehuhman
Oct 4, 2008, 06:57 AM
A user replaceable battery and a Firewire port.:)

The Awesome
Oct 4, 2008, 09:26 AM
Just seconding other people's ideas here.

1. Real battery life of 5-6 hours. (Not the fantasy-land Apple numbers)
2. 4 gigs of memory
3. 128 or 256gig SSD

and 128 GB HD.

I like the extra flip door idea.

As of now, HP and Dell haven't ventured into the 1440x900 realm (regarding their 13.3 inchers). It would be a good idea if Apple led the way.

Take this, remove the FW400 (because to be honest, after owning this MBP since June, I haven't used Firewire once), and we have a winner!

Replace the FW400 with another USB. I haven't used FW my whole life!

stereo speakers wouldn't hurt.

Those wouldn't hurt at all ;)

If I only could have one additional item I think it would be an expresscard slot.

I would like to veto the superdrive as a built in.

The ExpressCard wouldn't fit, I think.

I second the veto! Computers are getting smaller and traditional optical media are not following!

ducatidoc
Oct 4, 2008, 09:56 AM
+1 on the veto.

if anyone from apple is listening (and i highly doubt that is the case) most of us get along just fine with out one.

now putting the drivers to borrow another computers drive on a usb flash drive and mailing it with the computer, that would be smart!!

mpetrides
Oct 4, 2008, 10:24 AM
This summer, I finally bit the bullet an bought (cough, sputter) and HP tablet--which is great _when_ it works properly (Vista sux). :mad: I would get rid of it in a heartbeat :) if there were a MacBook Air that did what it does:

* Reversible screen (use as conventional MBA or flip screen to use as tablet)
* Handwriting recognition (see below)

Key features for tablet is ability to:
- Import PDFs and text files, annotate them (handwritten annotation), highlight them (again by hand, not by using mouse)

- Take handwritten notes that can be kept as handwritten OR converted to text (would prefer ability to maintain handwritten notes as backup)

How hard can this be, Apple? :D

aleksandra.
Oct 4, 2008, 11:21 AM
REV MBA.2 (Shipping 10/15/08)

3G <--- ......a must...... heck it will be 2009 in 6 weeks (yup, Rev 2 at xmass time & 3G networks are almots built to 20% and growing...user picks the network of choice)

If Air gets updated on October 14th, you should throw that prediction of yours into all rumor sites' and blog's authors' faces :D.

SFStateStudent
Oct 4, 2008, 11:45 AM
Yup, I'm jumping on the bandwagon:

Blu-Ray SuperDrive, 4-USB port, Firewire, Ethernet Port, 200GB HDD, and a shiny new Schwinn bicycle...:p

Doju
Oct 4, 2008, 08:29 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I know I'm not the first, but gosh Apple!

- Matte Screen
- thin bezel

Anything beyond that would be an added bonus.

Judging by the masses of people constantly whining about wanting either 3G or any other wireless phone inside a laptop: are you all sitting on money, or do you have insanely cheap mobile data plans??

The latter.

Digital Skunk
Oct 4, 2008, 08:42 PM
FW400 isn't needed on the MacBook Air... even for backup or being on the road. The only thing the MBA really needs is a faster processor and more wireless capabilities.

I wouldn't mid 4GB of RAM, but jacking up the price isn't my thing. Just give me real battery life like others have said (up to 7 hours), and mobile broadband since many of us do know that there is a world outside of AT&T's ridiculous prices.

riz78612
Oct 5, 2008, 10:40 AM
13" widescreen LCD display,
Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology
4GB RAM,
500GB hard drive (250GBx2) with Raid technology,
NVIDIA® graphics,
Blu-ray Disc™ optical drive, HD
DMI output,
Bluetooth®,
TV Tuner

CPU Section
Microprocessor Full Name Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9600 with Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology
Microprocessor Manufacturer Intel®
Microprocessor Speed (GHz) 2.8
L2 Cache (KB) 6144 Advanced Smart Cache
Frontside Bus (MHz) 1066
Number of Cores 2

Memory
Memory Speed (MHz) 800
Memory Type DDR2 SDRAM (2x2048MB)
Max. Memory (MB) 4096
Max Memory Comment In the case of 4GB, a portion of the system memory over 3GB might not be available to the operating system
Memory Size (MB) 4096

Drives
Hard Drive Type Serial ATA / SSD Flash drive Ultra ATA/66
Hard Drive Capacity (GB) 628 (500GB HDD + 2x64GB SSD Raid 0 support)
Hard Drive Speed (rpm) 4200
Optical Drive Type Blu-ray Disc™ Drive: BD-R/-RE/-ROM/ DVD+-RW/+-R DL/RAM Drive (reader/writer)
Optical Drive Fitting Built-in

Multimedia
TV Tuner Board YES
Intel® High Definition Audio compatible YES
3D Surround Dolby Home Theatre®
Built-in Stereo Speakers YES
Built-in Subwoofer YES
Windows® Sound System Compatible YES
Sound Reality YES
DVB-T YES

Battery life- 24 hours

vendettabass
Oct 5, 2008, 05:08 PM
1.6/1.86Ghz Montevina CPU's
4GB RAM
Intel X4500 or integrated NVIDIA chip (whichever is smaller & most power efficient)
64GB SSD stock, 128GB option
Smaller bezel / footprint

no more ports or features required

Pixellated
Oct 6, 2008, 11:51 AM
FireWire 3200
USB 3.0 X 2
4GB Soldered RAM
SATA II Drive

GreyHare
Oct 6, 2008, 12:35 PM
I'd be happy with the drive changing to SATA so I don't have to worry about drive availability when I want to get something bigger.

While I'd like a Firewire port, the Air isn't about fast as much as it's about versatile and efficient, so USB should be fine. USB's pathetic sustained data transfer rates won't be a bother. I've got an MBP for speed.

One thing they could do that would be cute would be to trade out the side ports for an ExpressCard slot.

And what are these 3G data plans that are "better than AT&T?" Are they some business-only thing?

aleksandra.
Oct 6, 2008, 12:51 PM
From the most likely to the most unlikely:

new processors (but still 1.6/1.8GHz)
4GB RAM
new chipset (either Intel's or NVIDIA's)
better battery life
switch to SATA (would mean only SSD options - so unlikely)

1.6/1.86Ghz Montevina CPU's
4GB RAM
Intel X4500 or integrated NVIDIA chip (whichever is smaller & most power efficient)
64GB SSD stock, 128GB option
Smaller bezel / footprint

no more ports or features required

Montevina means there'll be X4500. NVIDIA chipset means no Montevina.

alphaod
Oct 6, 2008, 12:53 PM
13" WSXGA+ Resolution
Built-in 3G with easy access SIM slot
4GB RAM standard
2.5" SSD support with SATA
FW800 + USB 2.0
Geforce low-end GPU with Purevideo HD
Trackpoint
Bigger mouse button
Removable battery
Choice between LV processor and standard processor

glitch44
Oct 6, 2008, 01:03 PM
13" WSXGA+ Resolution
4GB RAM standard
FW800 + USB 2.0
Trackpoint
Bigger mouse button
Removable battery

where will you put the giant fan to cool your "standard processor"?

aleksandra.
Oct 6, 2008, 01:46 PM
13" WSXGA+ Resolution
4GB RAM standard
FW800 + USB 2.0
Trackpoint
Bigger mouse button
Removable battery

It doesn't sound like MacBook Air at all... ;)

Digital Skunk
Oct 6, 2008, 03:50 PM
FireWire 3200
USB 3.0 X 2
4GB Soldered RAM
SATA II Drive

There's simply no need for FW800 on a MBA let alone TWO USB ports. It's all about being wireless.

Not to mention where would you stick that fugly @$$ trackpoint nipple on the backlit keyboard.

Aron.G
Oct 6, 2008, 08:26 PM

Matte screen option
Blu-Ray disc option
Built in EVDO wireless
Stereo Speakers
FireWire

Gee's, you don't want much do you?
I don't think apple will do a complete overhaul on their macbook air to make you happy!

What i think, (here that, not what i want, what i think) Apple will have achieved on their 2nd Gen Macbook Air.
-120 GB Hard Drive
-13" and 15" Screen options, also matte option
-Thinner bezel around the edge of the screen
-2 USB ports and 1 firewire port
-2.0 GHz

(REMEMBER THAT THE MACBOOK AIR IS BUILT FOR THE WIRELESS WORLD, THAT'S HOW THEY WERE ABLE TO GET IT SO DAMM THIN, SO TRY TO UNDERSTAND IT DOSENT HAVE A DVD DRIVE FOR THAT VERY REASON!)

-Optional Blu-Ray DVD-Drive

What is PowerBook Air? That name is a decade old dude! Come on!
What's wrong with you?

Digital Skunk
Oct 6, 2008, 08:58 PM
(REMEMBER THAT THE MACBOOK AIR IS BUILT FOR THE WIRELESS WORLD, THAT'S HOW THEY WERE ABLE TO GET IT SO DAMM THIN, SO TRY TO UNDERSTAND IT DOSENT HAVE A DVD DRIVE FOR THAT VERY REASON!)

Same reason why there won't be a second USB port or any FW ports.

Skip the 15" screen option. You are seriously smoking crack if you think that will happen.

Aron.G
Oct 7, 2008, 01:27 AM
Why? Describe in full detail why that is? Another USB port wouldn't take up much more space! 1 USB port is like 1/5 the size, even less then a DVD drive! And with technology these days, why wouldn't Apple be able to do that?

And i really don't think a bigger screen adds 1" thickness to a notebook? Macbook Pro??? Exactly the same thickness at 2.59 cm for the 15" and 17"

glitch44
Oct 7, 2008, 09:35 AM
Why? Describe in full detail why that is? Another USB port wouldn't take up much more space! 1 USB port is like 1/5 the size, even less then a DVD drive! And with technology these days, why wouldn't Apple be able to do that?

And i really don't think a bigger screen adds 1" thickness to a notebook? Macbook Pro??? Exactly the same thickness at 2.59 cm for the 15" and 17"

They most likely won't add a USB or Firewire because it's much easier to keep the same case and just change out the processor and logic board within.

There won't be a 15" or 17" version because Apple clearly has decided that 13.3" is the form factor for the Air.

There won't be a 2.0GHz chip because that chip doesn't exist. The next chips in the Air will be 45nm and will most likely be the 1.6GHz SL9300 and the 1.86GHz SL9400 processors which use less power (increasing battery life) and create less heat (decreasing core shutdowns).

Digital Skunk
Oct 7, 2008, 09:47 AM

They most likely won't add a USB or Firewire because it's much easier to keep the same case and just change out the processor and logic board within.

There won't be a 15" or 17" version because Apple clearly has decided that 13.3" is the form factor for the Air.

There won't be a 2.0GHz chip because that chip doesn't exist. The next chips in the Air will be 45nm and will most likely be the 1.6GHz SL9300 and the 1.86GHz SL9400 processors which use less power (increasing battery life) and create less heat (decreasing core shutdowns).

Not to mention that the entire concept of the Air is to be Apple's version of the ultra-portable 3lbs. or less notebook. Making it 15" and 17" would be a horrible idea. Not to mention that Apple needs to make the 17" a little thicker but that's another story.

The extra USB and ports goes along the same route, it's supposed to be a WIRELESS book. The one USB is there just in case, and so you can use a super drive, for those other "just in case" moments.

And like Glitch44 says, expect just a more economical processor bump. And improvements in industrial design making the book more stable.... since it is a Rev A product, the Rev B should be a lot more stable.

aleksandra.
Oct 7, 2008, 12:23 PM
Not to mention that the entire concept of the Air is to be Apple's version of the ultra-portable 3lbs. or less notebook. Making it 15" and 17" would be a horrible idea. Not to mention that Apple needs to make the 17" a little thicker but that's another story.

I disagree. If it was physically possible to make 15" Air without increasing weight, I think it wouldn't be horrible at all. I'd likely it very much. And 17" MBP would be better of thicker because of heat dissipation issues, yes? So if Air's specs stayed the same as in 13", it should be less of a problem in 15" shell, shouldn't it?

Anyway, it isn't coming, and I'd be happy with 13" if they just updated the thing. No invites... however, some other news:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/07/eu-directive-aims-to-make-all-batteries-removable-even-that-bat/

I wish them luck with it. Though even if they win, it'd likely take five years or so (EU pace :)).

Digital Skunk
Oct 7, 2008, 02:41 PM

You're right. I wouldn't mind a thin 15" MBA book either. I really meant on the pro terms I guess. Being as Apple has brain washed me into thinking that a 15" notebook automatically means a professional machine.

I say the 15" or at least 17" (which everyone expects to be large anyway) could use another .1" on the thickness for more stuff under the hood. It actually doesn't have much heat issues, just the normal temp increase that I get with any book PC or Mac.

The 15" could use that extra thickness for its own heat issues though.

dvince2
Oct 7, 2008, 08:41 PM

Matte screen option
Blu-Ray disc option
Built in EVDO wireless
Stereo Speakers
FireWire

Good Lord! The MBP would be put to shame by that "Ultraportable"

Personally, I'd rather see a smaller footprint and slightly thicker, than more thin.

alphaod
Oct 7, 2008, 09:14 PM

It's using a standard processor right now. ;)

glitch44
Oct 8, 2008, 01:05 AM
It's using a standard processor right now. ;)

it's using a one off production with a 60% package shrink and a TDP rating of just 20W, as opposed to 35W from the regular Core 2 Duo processor.

I don't really consider that standard, but maybe your definition may be different than mine.