Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coeus

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2002
albany, western australia
Apple are doing wrong by British and Australian customers consumers.

First I will convert the US prices of LCDmacs into their Australian and British counterpart price.

the LCDmac -
US: 1400, 1600 and 1900.
AUS: 2600, 3000 and 3500.
BRIT: 960, 1100 and 1300.

Now this is what Australians and British pay in their own countries.

AUS: 3200, 3700 and 4400.
BRIT: 1250, 1400 and 1650.

For me to buy a bottom of the line LCDmac in my own country it would cost 800 dollars (AUS) ***MORE*** than if I were to buy it from America.

What gets up my nose is that Australia is CLOSER to taiwan/asia, so shipping could NOT increase by 800 dollars per unit!

Any comments?

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
yeah go figure.

when the lcd imacs had the 100 dollar raise in the US, they put up the price 20,000 yen in Japan! okay.. $100 does NOT = ¥20,000. NO WAY. its more like ¥13,000. Yeah rip off.

oh well, i bought my G4 iMac before the raise so...

irmongoose

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
that definitely sucks and i don't know the reason for it.... does anyone know why they would do this, other than that they want some more money...?

i would assume that any apple resellers in these places therefore reflect the much higher international prices, yes?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm not too sure, but I think you may be forgeting export taxes. Even though they might be built out of country, they are still American products, so Uncle Sam might have a duty put on them.

This is just a guess, does anyone know how much if any taxes are applied to these electronic sales?

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Let me ask a question...

When was the last time an American could walk down to his local Rolls Royce dealer and buy a car for the exact same amount it would cost in England using the currency conversion?

Answer: It doesn't happen.

You pay a premium here because it is a British car. Y'all pay a premium on that side of the pond because it's an American product.

Sorry, but thems the breaks.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
good point mcrain...

it still sucks for whoever's getting the shaft on price...but it is the way things go...

as for big-mac's....I have no clue...I don't eat fast food...maybe $3??

coeus

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2002
albany, western australia
in oz we pay 6 bucks.
now you cannot say its tax or anything else.
someone is making a profit somewhere.

apple are better off just leaving australia and telling all australians to order from america or just dont worry about it. well oz can now become a wintel dominated country because prices were to high...

sorry im jusy pissed off, tied and annoyed that the majority of other countries pay more for anything in america.

CDs, TVs, fast food, plane flights are cheaper in america.

maybe i should start mining on the moon and sell platnium for a living.................bed time

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
I would not try to pin the price differences all on taxes and tarrifs, but just so you know what happens...

US manufacturers do have to pay export tax at the federal and state level, and in some states at the county and possibly city level as well. The amount is based on the classification of the product, where the product is actually produced, the country the product is being exported to and the countries where the company is incorporated and the relationship between those corporations and the parent company along with other things.

In addition to that, many countries charge a tarrif on imported goods which is usually based on an agreement with the exporting country.

This whole tax and tarrif thing can be incredibly complex and one thing I have learned from experience is that it can make the cost of doing business in certain parts of the world very costly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.