Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
How do I get 5.1 sound out of my rips? I have scoured threads and I don't seem to get anything to work right. I have HB, VH(trial version because I want to test before I purchase) and MTR. Someone please just give me an idea of what to to do.

I know this: I have to use either HB, or MTR to rip my DVD and then drop it into VH. But my question is, is there a specific format that I have rip to? I've done just a chapter extraction in MTR where I've opened streams, chosen AC3 6CH (only this one is checked) and let it do it's thing. Now, when it's done, what files do I drop into VH? I've dragged both the AC3 file and movie file (.m2v) into VH convert it and when I play through my ATV, I get no sound.

So if someone could give me a quick step by step, I'd be grateful. I've had my ATV since day 1 (3/22/07, in stores) and I have waited this long for proper 5.1.

g808

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Not sure if Handbrake supports 5.1 audio, but VisualHub now does. You can rip the movie from a DVD with 5.1 AC3 audio, then encode the VOB files in VisualHub using the iTunes "Apple TV 5.1" setting. If you have multiple VOBs for a movie, then you can have VisualHub merge them into a single .mp4 file.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I think the Handbrake guys are working on a new version with 5.1 support for ATV in it just now. In fact I think there's developer builds already available with it in there, so it shouldn't be long before a new version is released hopefully.

tronic72

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
I recently did my Star Wars DVDs and it was a piece of cake.

1. Rip the DVD using MTR
2. Open Visual Hub click on the 'iTunes" Tab and select optimise for Apple TV 5.1.

I use the High Quality setting and the ripped files are about 2GB. You can use the Standard size and the files are about 1.5 GB.

I'm totally over Handbrake at their crappy attitude. The forum moderators are on a serious power trip and have totally lost touch with the whole purpose of Support Forums.

Go Visual Hub!!!!

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Handbrake has been crashing a lot for me when encoding so I might check out Visual Hub.

Cordeiro

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Visual Hub subtitles support

Hello,

Am I missing something or Visual Hub doesn't have support for subtitles?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Hello,

Am I missing something or Visual Hub doesn't have support for subtitles?

You are right. Actually Handbrake is much better than Visual Hub in converting DVDs to mp4. Visual Hub is very good if you have other movie formats you want converted in mp4. I use it all the time to convert mkv, avi and divx in mp4. It works pretty well

If one day though Handbrake supported mkv files as a source format, then I would immediately start converting everything with it...

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I know this: I have to use either HB, or MTR to rip my DVD and then drop it into VH.
Um, there would be no reason to rip with HB then drop it into VH. That would be a redundant step. HB will rip right to an AppleTV compatible format.

MTR -> VH -> AppleTV
or
HB -> AppleTV
or (for some advance copy protection disks HB cannot handle itself)
MTR -> HB -> AppleTV

HB -> VH -> AppleTV : means you are compressing the movie twice from its source as well as taking an inordinately long amount of time.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Visual Hub is not using the best method for the AC3 since they are using the .MOV file extension.

Handbrake is working on using the same method as Apple with .m4v/AC3 support. Should be out soon.

Handbrake also allows for Chapter Markers. Won't use Visual Hub until they have full support for everything.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Visual Hub is not using the best method for the AC3 since they are using the .MOV file extension.

Handbrake is working on using the same method as Apple with .m4v/AC3 support. Should be out soon.

Handbrake also allows for Chapter Markers. Won't use Visual Hub until they have full support for everything.

Amen.

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
I recently did my Star Wars DVDs and it was a piece of cake.

1. Rip the DVD using MTR
2. Open Visual Hub click on the 'iTunes" Tab and select optimise for Apple TV 5.1.

I understand that part but, what file am I putting into VH after MTR makes it's rip?

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
So when I rip using MTR, am I doing a full disc extraction? If so, am I then putting the .vob files into VH? I just tried doing that and it said it was going to take approximately 16hrs. to convert! That seems a bit long.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
So when I rip using MTR, am I doing a full disc extraction? If so, am I then putting the .vob files into VH? I just tried doing that and it said it was going to take approximately 16hrs. to convert! That seems a bit long.

I have not figure out how to get VH to do anything but rip an entire DVD. When it does this, it does (like Handbrake) find the main movie/main title. It will not convert the menus, special features, etc.

16 hrs. seems a bit much. Was this on "go nuts" or on the lower setting? What CPU/OS?

It really makes a difference for encoding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.