PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV and External Hard Drive

gazfocus
Feb 15, 2008, 07:55 AM
Is there a way of connecting an External Hard Drive directly to an AppleTV so that it can pull my media off the external hard drive instead of my computer?

tersono
Feb 15, 2008, 07:56 AM
No - ATV will only stream from a computer, not an external (or networked) hard drive. Unfortunately :(

gazfocus
Feb 15, 2008, 08:02 AM
No - ATV will only stream from a computer, not an external (or networked) hard drive. Unfortunately :(

Thanks. Sorry for sounding dumb, but what's the USB port for then? Thanks

tersono
Feb 15, 2008, 08:05 AM

That's a darned good question. Apple say that it's for diagnostics and service, but I find myself wondering whether it might eventually become something useful - I know some folks have hacked it to add keyboards etc, so who knows?

gazfocus
Feb 15, 2008, 08:07 AM
That's a darned good question. Apple say that it's for diagnostics and service, but I find myself wondering whether it might eventually become something useful - I know some folks have hacked it to add keyboards etc, so who knows?

hmm sounds interesting...I might have a plan!

Cave Man
Feb 15, 2008, 09:19 AM

It's Apple's insidious way of making sure people talk endlessly about the ATV's potential.

Dingo Dave 69
Feb 15, 2008, 01:43 PM
I assume if I have a pc with an external drive the apple tv can stream the movies off the external drive that way?

mensrea
Feb 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
I assume if I have a pc with an external drive the apple tv can stream the movies off the external drive that way?

Of course.

Dingo Dave 69
Feb 15, 2008, 01:54 PM
Of course.

Thank you :D

Duffinator
Feb 15, 2008, 02:31 PM
No - ATV will only stream from a computer, not an external (or networked) hard drive. Unfortunately :(Will it stream from an external hd connected to the streaming computer? Or a server on a network?

jim.arrows
Feb 15, 2008, 02:39 PM
Will it stream from an external hd connected to the streaming computer? Or a server on a network?

It actually streams from iTunes on the remote computer, so if iTunes is able to access the library the ATV can stream it (whether it be local on the computer where iTunes is running or mounted remotely doesn't matter, only that iTunes is running and can access it).

Duffinator
Feb 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
It actually streams from iTunes on the remote computer, so if iTunes is able to access the library the ATV can stream it (whether it be local on the computer where iTunes is running or mounted remotely doesn't matter, only that iTunes is running and can access it).Thanks, I'm thinking of using two Time Capsules (or something similar) as a server/backup where I rotate and sync them so I have one off site as a backup.

fgareri
Feb 15, 2008, 04:39 PM

Wrong. Well, you are right in the sense that u can't do it straight outta the box. However, if you install Awkward TV and then install NitoTV you can stream from a NAS.

Don't worry, its not a dumb question. I am no expert, I just follow the tutorials as best as I can and I ask for help when I need it.

You should do the same. Happy Hacking!

MikieMikie
Feb 15, 2008, 04:45 PM
Wrong. Well, you are right in the sense that u can't do it straight outta the box. However, if you install Awkward TV and then install NitoTV you can stream from a NAS.

Don't worry, its not a dumb question. I am no expert, I just follow the tutorials as best as I can and I ask for help when I need it.

You should do the same. Happy Hacking!

So, then, you can rent from the ITMS?

And you're running Take 2?

Be careful when encouraging people to hack their Apple TVs. I couldn't care less if anyone hacks their own, just as long as they understand the limb they are walking out on.

fgareri
Feb 15, 2008, 04:48 PM
So, then, you can rent from the ITMS?

And you're running Take 2?

Be careful when encouraging people to hack their Apple TVs. I couldn't care less if anyone hacks their own, just as long as they understand the limb they are walking out on.

Nope, running 1.1. But from my understanding, some of the hacks still work thanks to the efforts of many of the programmers that are keeping ontop of things.

I bricked my ATV, i jus simply did a restore and it was new again:) With patchstick, no need to void warranty so its all good.

MikieMikie
Feb 15, 2008, 05:03 PM
Nope, running 1.1. But from my understanding, some of the hacks still work thanks to the efforts of many of the programmers that are keeping ontop of things.

I bricked my ATV, i jus simply did a restore and it was new again:) With patchstick, no need to void warranty so its all good.

That's great. But patchstick still requires 10.4, no?

(And seriously, I am not opposed in any way to hacking anything.)

ssdeg7
Jul 29, 2010, 05:23 PM
So, is it possible? I'm Planning on buying an :apple:TV because I have more than 300GB in movies stored on my iMac but I would like to know if the following is possible:

1- Store everything in the :apple:TV so I don't need a computer to stream everything (which makes the Mac almost useless while watching the movie)

2- Connect and external HD to the :apple:TV and store everything there (have the Mac send once the movies to the :apple:TV and then be able to erase it from the Mac).

I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me out with this.

Cave Man
Jul 29, 2010, 05:37 PM
Straight replacement would be the WD 320gb 2.5" PATA drive. Some have put in a 2.5" 9.5mm SATA drive using a SATA to PATA adapter and got it closed up with only a small amount of careful cutting. That would allow a 750 gb internal drive. Otherwise, eSATA mod or patchstick. All are describe on this forum.

elscorcho42
Oct 8, 2010, 04:37 PM
Dumb question, but how do I access my external drive that is plugged into my iMac from my AppleTV? On the AppleTV menu, it seems to just want to look in my "Movies" folder on the iMac internal drive...

south8212
Oct 8, 2010, 04:40 PM
Dumb question, but how do I access my external drive that is plugged into my iMac from my AppleTV? On the AppleTV menu, it seems to just want to look in my "Movies" folder on the iMac internal drive...

Add the content from your external hd to your iTunes library. Then you can stream from both.

paulgarb
Oct 8, 2010, 04:44 PM
So, is it possible? I'm Planning on buying an :apple:TV because I have more than 300GB in movies stored on my iMac but I would like to know if the following is possible:

1- Store everything in the :apple:TV so I don't need a computer to stream everything (which makes the Mac almost useless while watching the movie)

2- Connect and external HD to the :apple:TV and store everything there (have the Mac send once the movies to the :apple:TV and then be able to erase it from the Mac).

Read the specs - quite clear you can't do what you are asking.

elscorcho42
Oct 8, 2010, 04:49 PM
Add the content from your external hd to your iTunes library. Then you can stream from both.

So, the movies are physically copied to my internal drive?

dmr727
Oct 8, 2010, 04:53 PM
So, the movies are physically copied to my internal drive?

They don't have to be - from the Advanced tab in Preferences, make sure the "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder..." is unchecked, then import as usual. The files themselves will stay on the external drive. This is how I have my media server set up for my AppleTV, and it works great.

hdsalinas
Oct 8, 2010, 05:03 PM
Accessing media files from a mac makes more sense if you have an iMac or a mac mini, since these are always in the same place, may be on all the time and be always connected to an external drive (if you need to).

Accessing a portable mac (in my case, my MBP) seems to me not very convenient. First my MBP only has about 80 GB of HDD space (the other 40 GB is shared with windows), 45GB of those are used by iphoto s library , 15Gb by itunes and the rest by programs and other files, so storing large video files is out of the question. Then your MBP has to be there (or within range), and turned on and connected to an external drive (if your are using one). I usually keep my MBP lid closed, I assume that the ATV wont be able to access my files if the mac is sleeping. I might still get one (an :apple:TV) but I feel that I will really use its potential when I get a bigger drive in a new imac.

This is why I wish the ATV had a hard drive or at least be able to connect to one.

pasipple
Oct 8, 2010, 05:33 PM

Gotta say this is untrue. I have a WD 640GB Passport Studio ($125) plugged into my Airport Extreme via the USB and it streams perfectly. A long time ago I decided to store all my iTunes movies on an external...bought the Passport Studio and....prior to purchasing the ATV2...I plugged it into my MacBook Pro to watch a movie. So all my iTunes movies are mapped to this external drive.

Once I got the ATV2 I wanted to free myself from having to have the drive plugged into my MacBook Pro. So I bought an AirPort Extreme plugged the external drive into the USB port and now I can stream all my iTunes movies effortlessly into the ATV2. Works great....

Note: Setting up the Passport Studio on the AirPort Extreme was a breeze. Plug and Play and it was in my home network. I couldn't get my DLink DIR-855 to recognize the PassPort Studio so I sh&t canned it and went with the AirPort Extreme. Everything "Apple" just works well together.

dmr727
Oct 8, 2010, 05:40 PM
Gotta say this is untrue.

I think it's all semantics - what the OP was wondering (at least how I read it) is whether AppleTV can stream directly from an external HDD, which it can't. The drive has to be somehow accessible by some machine running iTunes. In your case, the drive is accessible via Airport Extreme to your MBP.

pasipple
Oct 8, 2010, 05:43 PM
I think it's all semantics - what the OP was wondering is whether AppleTV can stream directly from an external HDD, which it can't. The drive has to be somehow accessible by some machine running iTunes.

Fair enough...obviously an external drive isn't going start streaming to the ATV2 on its own. You've got to plug it into the network somewhere. Either the computer or a router is a convenient place.

nzlucas
Oct 8, 2010, 05:43 PM
Accessing media files from a mac makes more sense if you have an iMac or a mac mini, since these are always in the same place, may be on all the time and be always connected to an external drive (if you need to).

Accessing a portable mac (in my case, my MBP) seems to me not very convenient. First my MBP only has about 80 GB of HDD space (the other 40 GB is shared with windows), 45GB of those are used by iphoto s library , 15Gb by itunes and the rest by programs and other files, so storing large video files is out of the question. Then your MBP has to be there (or within range), and turned on and connected to an external drive (if your are using one). I usually keep my MBP lid closed, I assume that the ATV wont be able to access my files if the mac is sleeping. I might still get one (an :apple:TV) but I feel that I will really use its potential when I get a bigger drive in a new imac.

This is why I wish the ATV had a hard drive or at least be able to connect to one.

Your right, AppleTV is not as friendly with a laptop but that does not mean it useless. I am looking into the whole media server(a computer only there to store and share content via itunes) thing before i buy one, just a low end PC i can stick in a closet and forget about. The other option is a external HDD or a NAS run through the laptop, yes it has to be on). AppleTV uses the sharing function in iTunes to access content so as long as there are files that the relevant itunes can 'see' and 'read' then it doesn't matter where they are stored, and you are up and running.

I feel the ability to change libraries by holding the option key when starting is being overlooked as well. Imagine this. The library on your lappy has your up to date and fav music and video content on its internal drive. This is what you sync you iphone too mostly You also have a external drive that has that whole library and the rest of your crap and your girlfriends Legally blonde movies etc on it. Open iTunes holding option and choose this library at any time for apple TV to access the content. In the mean time buy some CAT6 cable and a cheap PC and a decent HD to fit in it and make a media server. Become a home expert in remote PC useage and bang, your a home IT expert!! Your work mates will call you a geek and make fun of you if brag too much, but will invite you round for beer just so you can virus scan there computer etc etc ....

hdsalinas
Oct 8, 2010, 05:44 PM
Once I got the ATV2 I wanted to free myself from having to have the drive plugged into my MacBook Pro. So I bought an AirPort Extreme plugged the external drive into the USB port and now I can stream all my iTunes movies effortlessly into the ATV2. Works great....

Ha! Never thought that would work. Do you still need four computer to be on for :apple:TV to browse your external HDD?

pasipple
Oct 8, 2010, 05:47 PM
Ha! Never thought that would work. Do you still need four computer to be on for :apple:TV to browse your external HDD?

Yes iTunes has to be running if you're going to stream iTunes content to the ATV2.

pasipple
Oct 8, 2010, 05:50 PM

I should qualify my original reply. I can browse the Passport Studio thru Finder...yes...no need for iTunes to be on.

But if you want to view any content on the external drive thru the ATV2...you have to have iTunes running.

dhy8386
Oct 8, 2010, 08:43 PM
Gotta say this is untrue. I have a WD 640GB Passport Studio ($125) plugged into my Airport Extreme via the USB and it streams perfectly. A long time ago I decided to store all my iTunes movies on an external...bought the Passport Studio and....prior to purchasing the ATV2...I plugged it into my MacBook Pro to watch a movie. So all my iTunes movies are mapped to this external drive.

Note: Setting up the Passport Studio on the AirPort Extreme was a breeze. Plug and Play and it was in my home network. I couldn't get my DLink DIR-855 to recognize the PassPort Studio so I sh&t canned it and went with the AirPort Extreme. Everything "Apple" just works well together.

Nevermind.

techguy40
Oct 8, 2010, 08:53 PM
Yes iTunes has to be running if you're going to stream iTunes content to the ATV2.

I have an airport extreme, ATV2 and USB external HD.

I want to put all my movies on the external harddrive and connect it to the airport extreme.

I know I have to have itunes on when viewing movies on my ATV2

How do i setup Itunes to use my external HD for movies only?

What are the step by step?

Thanks

pasipple
Oct 8, 2010, 10:08 PM
I have an airport extreme, ATV2 and USB external HD.

I want to put all my movies on the external harddrive and connect it to the airport extreme.

I know I have to have itunes on when viewing movies on my ATV2

What are the step by step?

Thanks

I don't know if there is a global setting in iTunes for designating the location of your content.

When you add content to iTunes you have to specify the path. For example...to add a movie to iTunes from my Ext. HD you go FILE/ADD TO LIBRARY/Path. Since I have the HD connected to my AirPort Extreme...I select the HD from your AirPort Extreme which is shown in the Finder under "Shared Devices".

Cave Man
Oct 9, 2010, 12:38 AM

In the iTunes Preferences/Advanced tab, deselect the "Copy files to iTunes folder", then just drag the folders/files from the external drive onto iTunes and drop.

s11nny
Oct 9, 2010, 02:55 AM

How would this setup work with a pc ?

Omne666
Oct 9, 2010, 03:03 AM
iTunes HAS to serve up the library. Wether your media sits on an external or networked drive is unimportant. As long as iTunes knows where it is, the :apple:TV can get it....or rather, be fed it by the iTunes server machine.

I have mine on a Drobo, hooked via Firewire to my iMac. Before that it was on WD externals until I had 4 x 1Tb drives and got sick of all the cabling!!

So, store the files whever you want.....just make sure iTunes knows where it is and all will be fine.

techguy40
Oct 9, 2010, 10:23 AM
I don't know if there is a global setting in iTunes for designating the location of your content.

When you add content to iTunes you have to specify the path. For example...to add a movie to iTunes from my Ext. HD you go FILE/ADD TO LIBRARY/Path. Since I have the HD connected to my AirPort Extreme...I select the HD from your AirPort Extreme which is shown in the Finder under "Shared Devices".

Thanks

Do you "deselect the "Copy files to iTunes folder"" in itunes preference before doing this? So this way it wont make a copy of your movies.

Do i select it back on if I want my music all in my iTunes folder?

Do you have to change the iTunes media file location in preference too?

tommylotto
Oct 9, 2010, 11:30 AM

Does it stream when your MacBook Pro is closed? or was it open, with iTunes running? I thought you could have content on NAS, but it still needed to be in an iTunes library that was up and running to stream...

pasipple
Oct 9, 2010, 12:20 PM
Does it stream when your MacBook Pro is closed? or was it open, with iTunes running? I thought you could have content on NAS, but it still needed to be in an iTunes library that was up and running to stream...

Yes to stream content iTunes must be running.

pasipple
Oct 9, 2010, 12:22 PM
How would this setup work with a pc ?

I have no experience with a PC but it will work just the same.

pasipple
Oct 9, 2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks

Do you "deselect the "Copy files to iTunes folder"" in itunes preference before doing this? So this way it wont make a copy of your movies.

Do i select it back on if I want my music all in my iTunes folder?

Do you have to change the iTunes media file location in preference too?

Sorry...missed your reply.

YES...deselect copy files to iTunes folder so you don't have duplicates.

YES...definitely...urn it back on if you are storing your music in the iTunes folder.

NO...you're media file location should be the default which was setup when you installed iTunes originally. This will be the path where your music files would be kept.

techguy40
Oct 9, 2010, 03:54 PM
Sorry...missed your reply.

YES...deselect copy files to iTunes folder so you don't have duplicates.

YES...definitely...urn it back on if you are storing your music in the iTunes folder.

NO...you're media file location should be the default which was setup when you installed iTunes originally. This will be the path where your music files would be kept.

Thanks

When formatting your external HD, what format did you use?

pasipple
Oct 9, 2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks

When formatting your external HD, what format did you use?

I'm using a Mac....so I bought Passport Studio pre-formatted for Mac OS X.

owine
Nov 4, 2010, 11:08 AM
They don't have to be - from the Advanced tab in Preferences, make sure the "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder..." is unchecked, then import as usual. The files themselves will stay on the external drive. This is how I have my media server set up for my AppleTV, and it works great.

I wish this option was a bit more extendable. I'd like to keep it on for music and off for video files, but there is no way to do that it seems. Oh well.

Dan--
Nov 8, 2010, 03:30 PM
I wish this option was a bit more extendable. I'd like to keep it on for music and off for video files, but there is no way to do that it seems. Oh well.

I'm not sure why that has to be an issue. You can just put the music on your internal drive, and add it into iTunes from there, and it'll just stay there. Sure, it doesn't get added to the iTunes media folder, it will just stay in the original folder, but I don't see how that's a real disadvantage.

bearcatrp
Nov 9, 2010, 07:53 PM
Been planning on putting my external on airport extreme. Can a password be put on the external so it's protected on the network? I have a OWC dual bay I plan on using with two 2TB drives, one for streaming from, the other for my backup.

dimfisch
Dec 15, 2010, 01:56 PM

That sounds perfect!
Do you think it's possible/easy to set up without a mac? I have a PC laptop. Just bought the new Apple TV, and wouldn't mind getting an Airport Extreme to achieve direct streaming from an external HD to my TV...

nunes013
Dec 17, 2010, 10:20 PM
ok this is my setup, i have a 1tb western digital my book world edition holding all my movies plugged into my airport extreme. the airport extreme is my main router. i have an airport express connected to the airport extreme extending the network and an atv 2 connecting to my network. how would i get the apple tv to access all my movies on my book world edition. i have played with it and cant figure it out.

ssdeg7
Dec 20, 2010, 07:38 AM
I have a WD External Hard Drive and an AppleTV 2, I have my movies synced through my HD but I still need to open my MacBook Pro to stream stuff to the AppleTV. Can it be possible to connect the HD to the ATV and sort of trick the ATV so it thinks that its new HD is the external HD I have?

Do you get my point? So I can access the ATV without any Mac open, just the stuff that I have in the computer.

Thanks

Smighty24
Dec 20, 2010, 11:45 AM
Hate to jump in here. But do you have to have an airport extreme or could you use any router to stream movies off an external hd?

Matt Roseville
Dec 21, 2010, 09:39 PM
How did you point your iTunes to the external drive? Did you just drag the iTunes folder into the external drive or did you do it through iTunes?

Please help, I am missing my media!
THANK YOU!!!
~Matt

pasipple
Dec 21, 2010, 09:49 PM
Go into iTunes...File/Add to Library...and select the folder(s) on your external drive containing your media files.

Note: When you select "Add to Library" you will get a "Finder" dialog box where you can then select the location of your files. In my case...my external drive is connected to my AirPort Extreme...so I first had to select my Airport Extreme under "Shared" devices then I selected my WD "My Book"...then the folder containing my media.

Bevz
Jan 27, 2011, 02:08 AM
How did you point your iTunes to the external drive? Did you just drag the iTunes folder into the external drive or did you do it through iTunes?

Please help, I am missing my media!
THANK YOU!!!
~Matt

Drag the whole iTunes folder over to the external drive. Hold down option key on keyboard while opening iTunes and you will get a dialog with an option to "choose library" or something similar, just navigate to the external and choose the folder... Done. Your whole iTunes library is now on your external... Of course the other way is to keep your iTunes folder on your boot drive and just change the location of your media folder in iTunes but I prefer to keep it all together in one place... Hope this helps.

gdeusthewhizkid
Jan 29, 2011, 09:44 AM

hey dont you have to convert those files to mp4 itunes format first. you just can't have avis on othe drive right...

gdeusthewhizkid
Jan 29, 2011, 09:56 AM

hey dont you have to convert those files to mp4 itunes format first. you just can't have avis on othe drive right...

pasipple
Jan 29, 2011, 01:20 PM

Yes they were converted by Handbrake. I said they were my iTunes movies...either .mp4 or .m4v...

pagansoul
Feb 1, 2011, 09:09 AM
I have a 2TB HD external connected to my MacPro. I use 'Option drag' to place on my iTunes (this gives iTunes a path to the movie without making a dup copy). My :apple:TV sees all my 500+ movies and streams them. All my movies are .mov (Quicktime) and not .m4v or .mp4 and they play just fine.

triviasue
Feb 28, 2011, 08:48 PM
Great thread! This is exactly what I'm attempting to do - stream my media from my external drive using iTunes on my Macbook to watch on Apple TV2. Found a great article here (http://www.tuaw.com/2006/09/19/how-to-keep-your-itunes-library-on-an-external-hard-drive/) for anyone who could use a step by step explanation. I'll try to remember to update with my results. :)

triviasue
Feb 28, 2011, 09:24 PM
Success! My iTunes library is now on my external drive, and I freed up about 100GB of space on my Macbook! And no problems streaming to ATV2. I opted for Bevz' method of moving the entire library to the harddrive. Perfect. Thanks!

Drag the whole iTunes folder over to the external drive. Hold down option key on keyboard while opening iTunes and you will get a dialog with an option to "choose library" or something similar, just navigate to the external and choose the folder... Done. Your whole iTunes library is now on your external... Of course the other way is to keep your iTunes folder on your boot drive and just change the location of your media folder in iTunes but I prefer to keep it all together in one place... Hope this helps.

firebook23
Mar 1, 2011, 09:27 AM
Hi Guys,

Have a small issue with my Apple TV.

Hooked it up to my network and it sees all my music fine (stored on my internal HD)

When I go to movies (stored on my external HD) ATV only sees the one movie that is stored on my imacs internal HD. It does not seem to see the other 12 or so that are stored on my external HD. I can see them on my computer and itunes plays them fine.

I have added the movies from the external HD opting to not copy them to the internal HD of my imac, as that drive is only 500mb.

Any ideas?

Dan--
Mar 4, 2011, 03:11 PM
Hi Guys,

Have a small issue with my Apple TV. Hooked it up to my network and it sees all my music fine (stored on my internal HD)

When I go to movies (stored on my external HD) ATV only sees the one movie that is stored on my imacs internal HD. It does not seem to see the other 12 or so that are stored on my external HD. I can see them on my computer and itunes plays them fine.

I have added the movies from the external HD opting to not copy them to the internal HD of my imac, as that drive is only 500mb.

I guess the question is - are you actually adding them to the iTunes library, or are you just playing them. In particular - are you having iTunes organize your media (for everything), and then not actually adding the
external files to library, just playing them?

If you are having iTunes organize your media, then I suspect you are never adding the files to your itunes library, and you'll have to change something. If you don't want to have the video files on the internal drive, I think you'll have to do something to stop having iTunes manage your media (i.e. no longer have it copy media into its own db), and then you can have one or more locations for your media, and it should be seen by iTunes, and as a result, by the ATV.

I'm not sure if you'll have to do something to export your currently managed media (music) when you stop having iTunes manage it.

If you currently do not have iTunes managing your media, then l'm at a loss.

Dan

emelath
Jun 9, 2011, 12:43 PM

I boutght a 750 G drive and basically did what you wanted to do with #2 then my apple tv synchs from there.

connected53
Jul 23, 2011, 07:42 PM
In the iTunes Preferences/Advanced tab, deselect the "Copy files to iTunes folder", then just drag the folders/files from the external drive onto iTunes and drop.

For some reason I can't just drag and drop. The movies on my external are .avi. It works if I use Vuze to reformat them for iTunes, but this kind of defeats the purpose of having them all on an external HD... Any idea how to make this go without having to re-format everything?

benh911f
Jul 23, 2011, 08:36 PM
For some reason I can't just drag and drop. The movies on my external are .avi. It works if I use Vuze to reformat them for iTunes, but this kind of defeats the purpose of having them all on an external HD... Any idea how to make this go without having to re-format everything?

No, you have to re-format them. iTunes/Apple TV won't accept AVI.