Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Interesting design and nice that it is small but I guess my bottom line is that it is a Windows system. I prefer OSX and unless there is a way to install OSX on it my interest drops off. I have a Sony TZ series sitting behind me that I don't really care to use since I got my MBA and it has all that the MBA doesn't, But I still prefer the MBA.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Not the first 12" widescreen notebook I've seen, certainly the most ugly.

Dell's 700m/710m line were good little notebooks back in the Pentium M days, I really wish they had carried over that form factor to the CD and C2D.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Don't be tempted. It's a Packard Bell. You will be so sorry.

They provide the low-end computers in PC World and its European stores. Notoriously unreliable as well as cheap looking.

Just stand by the entrance in any PC World and within minutes you will see someone carting one back to the customer service point.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
There's no doubt that it's cheap looking, but less reliable than Apple? I don't think that's possible.

Also I believe the drive is a 2.5" article. Which means you can shoehorn more storage into the machine if you're DIY-capable.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I am the last person to blow Apple's trumpet, but Packard Bell is a special sort of crud. Well below current budget laptop standards. Just Google the name and check the comments on all the forums that crop up.

For what it's worth, that laptop actually looks much better than Packard Bell's norm. Perhaps it is paying more than lip service to quality and finish. If it carries on improving like this, it might become mediocre by the end of 2008.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Packard Bell are indeed the bargain basement of the PC world. You'd be better with a Dell XPS M1330 or a Lenovo X61 for a Windows lightweight laptop.

Although, obvious trolling aside, the TC does have a point. 'It just works'? Please, don't make me laugh.

zanoii

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
Sweden
I like the german product page for that one: http://www.packardbell.de/.

Text says:
12" EasyNote BG 46 Limited Edition
For Apple-Lovers

Nice one..

(found at Macpro.se)

edit: of course they are referring to the colour, which they describe as "lime-green". Then why not go with a lime fruit?

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Apple is consistently near the top of the ratings for laptop reliability. No company is perfect.

As a matter of curiosity I'd be interested to see where that comes from, apart from user surveys (Apple users are significantly more forgiving of failures as we see here) or a company which fixes machines not under the manufacturer's warranty.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
(Nitpicking) How does a .co.uk site spell "View" wrong twice?

Anyway, thumbs up for price and 12" widescreen. Thumbs down for pretty much everything else I guess :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.