PDA

View Full Version : External HD question

Pedgie06
Feb 15, 2008, 03:50 PM
This might sound like a weird question, but I figured someone here might know the answer. I have a macbook pro g4 with a 80gig hd. I want to keep all my music on my laptop, but I want to have all my movies and tv shows on my 300gb external hardrive.

So my question is: is there any way to have itunes run off both hard drives? Last time I that I tried to add movies from my external drive, iTunes copied them into my music folder as well. Can I stop iTunes from doing that and just run the movies from my external hd?

FreeState
Feb 15, 2008, 04:36 PM
There are at least two ways of doing this.

One is to change your preferences every time you add a movie so it wont copy it (see attached screen capture for proper settings). Or the easiest is when you import a move into iTunes via drag and drop of the file hold down the option key at the same time.

harpoon
Feb 15, 2008, 11:59 PM
move your media where you want it, then hold down option and drag. It's good to do that with video media, and have your audio media go to a 'home' spot on iTunes.

Pedgie06
Feb 16, 2008, 01:24 AM
There are at least two ways of doing this.

One is to change your preferences every time you add a movie so it wont copy it (see attached screen capture for proper settings). Or the easiest is when you import a move into iTunes via drag and drop of the file hold down the option key at the same time.

I turned off the copy to itunes folder, is it really necessary to keep that on anyways?

Whenever I download music from itunes or buy a tv show, doesn't it go into my itunes folder anyways?

Is that option just for music that is added from elsewhere?

MikieMikie
Feb 16, 2008, 10:27 AM
I turned off the copy to itunes folder, is it really necessary to keep that on anyways?

It's easier to keep the checkbox UNchecked. Off.

Whenever I download music from itunes or buy a tv show, doesn't it go into my itunes folder anyways?

Yes.

Is that option just for music that is added from elsewhere?

Yes, as well as movies you've ripped...