PDA

View Full Version : Buying ibook G4 1.2

hookem12387
Feb 15, 2008, 04:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any tips? I'm looking forward to getting it, and plan on dropping in a gig of ram to hit 1.25g. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for utilities or anything since I'll be running leopard. I've been trying to find lots of stuff to read. Thanks!

techound1
Feb 15, 2008, 04:44 PM
I've been trying to find lots of stuff to read. Thanks!

You'll need those books to bide your time waiting for leopard to run fully featured on it. I upgraded from my maxxed-out al pb G4 to a MBP because leopard really bogged the pb down.

brandonshough
Feb 15, 2008, 04:44 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any tips? I'm looking forward to getting it, and plan on dropping in a gig of ram to hit 1.25g. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for utilities or anything since I'll be running leopard. I've been trying to find lots of stuff to read. Thanks!

I'd ask the original owner if it had the logic board ever worked on.

Those older G4 iBooks with the ATI video chipsets have all kinds of problems with the soldering. Infact if I recall correctly they all eventually die. (Similar to the XBOX 360 Ordeal) Just some food for though before spending money if that's the case.

The gig of ram will help out alot considering Mac OS X's nature.

As far as any tips I'd pick up a Mr. Clean eraser to keep it looking nice and new... Maybe think about a hard drive some day down the road :).

Fezzasus
Feb 15, 2008, 04:45 PM
urm... can't think of much, get the screen spanning hack and the two finger hack and you'll be set.

BTW, my 12" 1.3ghz ibbok is still going fine after use all day, every day since it was bought new.

brandonshough
Feb 15, 2008, 04:53 PM
From Wikipedia

"New class action lawsuits have been submitted December 2006.[4] One discussion forum, guessing that some of the iBook problem was caused by the GPU losing contact, found that placing a shim between the plastic casing and the GPU solved the problem—and that Apple was using this solution also (the video can actually even be reactivated temporarily by squeezing the machine midway between the trackpad and the left of case). For a detailed explanation of the technique for iBook G4 models, see this guide; for the iBook G3, see this guide.
On May 2, 2007, the Danish Consumer Board published an extensive report[5] made by an external party concerning the Apple iBook G4 logic board issue. Also a press release[6] was made, referring to the global consequences this might or will have for possible guarantee claims.
The pre-1 GHz G4 models also suffered from the dead video problem, however it was not caused by the GPU separating from the motherboard, but rather a sub-processor chip found on the underside of the iBook G4, that separates after usage (heat expansion and contraction)."

Looks like if you find an iBook with a CPU Frequency higher than 1.0ghz you're safe.......

nl2134
Feb 15, 2008, 08:53 PM
I have a 1.33Ghz iBook G4. I maxed out the memory to 1.5GB...and it runs extremely well. I'm thinking towards the future, though, and am considering selling it to get the new MBP when it comes out. Leopard runs fine on the iBook (could be faster), but oh well...

You might want to upgrade the HD also if you're going to be using it daily. I know mine is a 100GB 4200rpm HD, and I want to upgarde it to at least 5400rpm if I do decide to keep the computer...

hookem12387
Feb 16, 2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the tips all. I appreciate it

kalex
Feb 16, 2008, 08:56 PM
urm... can't think of much, get the screen spanning hack and the two finger hack and you'll be set.

Fezzasus - do you have a link to the screen spanning hack and 2 finger hack? i just got an ibook today and would like to enable those.

Thanks

Alex

hookem12387
Feb 17, 2008, 10:09 PM
Hey, check a program called iscroll2 for the 2 fingered hack. Let me know how it works as well please!